Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA v Ireland test 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The Boks are after Matty Williams now becuase he questioned the 6-2/7-1 bench

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Given everything he'd missed to that point, Dickson would probably need some serious persuasion to look

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Neither Nohamba nor Masuku is in the squad. You are probably looking at a backline of Vd Berg/Williams, LibbokFeinberg-Mngomezulu, Mapimpi, Esterhuizen, Am, Edwil Van Der Merwe and Fassi/Feinberg-Mngomezulu as the backline if they change the 23 for the next match. I am not sure he can change the whole 23, maybe the starting 15 with some of the bench getting some starting minutes.

If you look at the current squad and the players outside of the World Cup starters there isn't a lot of experience there. I do not expect a lot of the starters from yesterday to make the next WC but the next player up is low on caps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa_national_rugby_union_team#Current_squad

As an example this is the players in the current squad (outside of those that was involved in the World Cup final last year and Marx, who would have been in the 23 without a doubt) and their caps,

Grobelaar (hooker) - 0

Wessels (hooker) - 0

Koch (34 years old - prop) - 51

Steenekamp (prop) - 2

Jason-Dixon (lock) - 1

Moerat (lock) - 4

Buthelezi (loose forward) - 0

Roos (loose forward) - 6

Van Den Berg (scrum half) - 0

Reinach (34 years old - scrum half) - 32

Williams (scrum half) - 10

Feinberg-Mngomezulu - 2

Am (30 years old - centre) - 35

Esterhuizen (30 years old - centre) - 17

Mapimpi (33 years old - wing) - 42

Van Der Merwe (wing) - 1

Fassi (fullback) - 3

So take out the players 33 and older and that is a total of 80 caps of which Am and Esterhuizen has 52 of them. They will need to get the younger players into the squad soon to build up their experience, which should in turn mean a drop-off in results. So Rassie going from 65% currently to about 60%, which is about normal for a SA head coach winning record.

The problem with the 6/2 or 7/1, if you get early injuries, especially in the backs, it totally throws out of kilter what you want to do. Add in injuries in the forwards it made it impossible to have a bomb squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭FtD v2

Masuku is in the standby squad, so was presuming some of those would come in for this Portugal game.

Seems little point in selecting guys like Esterhuizen and Mapimpi against Portugal.

Seems little point to play the WC final team in these 2 tests when most of them will not be around in 3 years time.🙂

• Advertisement

Just to add the following players have been added to the squad for SA - Elrigh Louw, Ntuthuko Mchunu, Quan Horn, Andre-Hugo Venter, and Ruan Venter.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quan Horn sounds like a GoT character.

Rassie was not a very happy man that Ireland beat him in WC

He was expecting a 2-0 series win, he wasn't very happy yesterday either

ireland winning in SA is a huge deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭ersatz

Great end to a very good season. Bringing through Crowley, Nash, Joe Mc, Osbourne and I’d add Frawley, is a very tidy bit of coaching. Blade also impressed under insane pressure. I can see Frawley pressuring Crowley next season, he was excellent in SA. Only bit of pissing I’ll do on the parade is that I thought Connor was glacial in the first 20 and we were lucky Ezebeth’s rhythm was interrupted by his injury as he was eating up the ground it gave him. CM seemed to revert to an old habit of taking one or two lateral steps and pumping before releasing his passes. Drove me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Must say I was very happy with the performance overall. Bencheffort was enormous, particularly from Cian & Caolan.

The win was a bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Huge win. The idea that we came from behind and won the final 20 minutes in SA without an absolute rake of important players is seriously impressive. Farrell must be an incredibly effective coach and leader for that group of players.

Healy, Herring, Bealham, Baird, Blade, Frawley, McCloskey and Osborne….nobody would have given a line up with all of those players on the field a hope against a loaded SA team who have emptied the bench.

Probably said elsewhere but I thought there is huge credit due to the forward replacements. They didn't have the eye catching cameos of Frawley or even the noticeable contribution of Blade but they did their jobs and I think the scrum was improved with them on the field. They conceded one penalty where the AR penalised Bealham but, to my eye, Steenekamp had gone to ground first on that one. Baird genuinely looked like he wanted to murder the AR after that one. And then they locked out the key scrum inside their 22 to set up the game winning drive.

Most of us were somewhat indifferent to POM being a sub option but it genuinely worked out perfectly. Just when we were completely rattled and falling away, we had his introduction. He didn't do anything spectacular but he did all hit bits well and the side were clearly calmer after his introduction (in fairness it coincided with the return of Doris also).

For context, Osborne took 12 high balls. 9 of those were in traffic/dealing with chasers and contests.

He didn't even bobble or juggle a single kick. It was an absolute masterclass in fielding.

I kinda do have an issue with it. He said he spotted nothing at the time. PSDT and DDA were roaring at him that there was obstruction. He was pressured into checking something that didn't happen after stating he saw nothing happen. He had been asked to check things previously and waved them away such as Crowley getting hit off the ball and the McCarthy non-offside.

And there are stranger things that have happened than a TMO then telling the ref that Doris motions into Kolbe and he needs to look at it. Absolutely nothing in it and a dive but we've seen bizarre decisions in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

It was Kearney in 2009 Lions form at times. The one "blot" was the left footed kick from their 15 that almost bounced out but didn't and he ended up giving away the lineout just outside our own 22. But even that was just a horrendous bounce of a rugby ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I thought it was understandable and right that he checked something they were not happy with when it was related to a game winning drop goal. And to the TMO credit it was cleared up almost instantly. That's an example of the system working well.

In the Crowley incident, I thought I heard him confirming that it had been checked and there was nothing to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

seeing a lot of moaning on the cesspit of FB rugby pages that the ball didn’t hit the ground from the drop kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

https://www.sarugby.co.za/match-centre/match-centre-detail/?id=671e8e5a-284c-43ea-9812-0c6bed3282f2

https://www.irishrugby.ie/live_matches/match-centre-south-africa-v-ireland-second-test/

Just from an analytical perspective, its interesting seeing the difference between Ireland's version of he stats versus South Africa's.

Take James Ryan for example: Ireland have him down for five carries for zero metres, whereas the Boks have him down for 21 metres from the same carries. In general, the Boks seem to have a more lenient or inflated measure for metres made (Doris goes from 57 to 108)

I also find it interesting how Irish stats can have Doris down for 4 tackles while the South African source has him down for 15. Its an odd discrepancy between the two.

Just an observation re: match stats.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I assume the metres stat varies depending on whether you measure metres carried or metres carried past the gainline.

No idea on the tackles stat though 4 doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Also notable was the complete silence from the TMO about the headshot on Doris in that final sequence. Likely red for Pollard and certainly a penalty for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭FtD v2

What's most frustrating is they don't even align in the total quantum of team carries - the SA stats have Ireland down as carrying the ball 99 times for 663m, while the Irish stats have us down for 117 carries for 296m.

The discrepancy in metres carried seems explainable - the Irish one appears to obviously be subtracting negative carries, and might only be capturing carries past the gainline, but you'd expect them at a minimum to be aligned on the quantum of carries?

Biggest difference there is the Irish stats have Jamie Osborne down for 17 carries for 56m, while the SA stats have him for just 10 carries but for 77m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Must be from people who've never kicked (drop or otherwise) a rugby ball.

That would be along with the moaning that Kolbe didn't throw himself on the ground and was hit by Doris

Best to ignore it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Been marinating on this for a few days, but I'm still perplexed as to why the McCarthy knock-on/offside penalty wasn't reversed. It could have been a massive moment if we had gone on to lose the game by 2 points.

The referee apparently couldn't hear the TMO. I'm not clear if the ref was aware that the TMO was trying to get his attention, and waved it away, or whether there were no comms. Even if it was the latter, the AR's have TMO comms and could have drawing the refs attention to it.

I don't have an issue with the initial mistake by the ref to call a penalty (they're only human), but it was absolutely clear and obvious on the replay that it was a bad call. For the on-field team to let it slide like that is baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Oh I enjoy salty tears too much. Have to have a quick read of the comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Anyone know what minute this was? I missed it entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Schorpio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭bren2001

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Well done to the Irish team. I didnt get to see the whole game, only the last 15 minutes on a cellphone perched on the tailgate of a bakkie, surrounded by 4 guys, while working on a site. So ive no comment on the game as such. Just looking forward to a long healthy rivalry between the 2 teams. Next game presumably in about 16 months towards end of next year's tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

Some Refs encourage AR & TMO info & some are less enthusiastic. We have all seen multiple occasions where a Ref calls time off (for injuries, shoelace tying & foul play reviews etc).

Nothing prevents Dickson from calling time off while he listens to his TMO, he actively chose to ignore the TMO trying to tell him something. Had he stopped play, established secure comms, & listened to his TMO he could still have decided that he had made the correct decision in real time. Ignoring TMO info (and his ARs similarly), when the TMO was presumably trying to save his colleague from embarrasment, turned out poorly for Dickson. Frawley removed the sting that might have pained Dickson had it finished a 2 pt win for SA.

It was noticeable that all the weekend matches seemed to have the TMO voice feed muted except to the other officials. Couldn't possibly been a sign of guilty consciences ?.

Thought Berry, Amashukeli & Brace went very well in the other Tier 1 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭standardg60

Watching it I think Dickson couldn't hear the TMO due to the crowd noise. Still should have held up play until he could, it was obvious the communication was in relation to the penalty.

What was worse though was Beirne's clear winning of a penalty at a breakdown. He goes to lift the ball, Dickson calls first man, but the SA player holds on. Then Beirne gets cleared out and Dickson says play on.

Advertisement