Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Had a cagey period midway through the 2nd half but overall a good enjoyable match. Both had 27 shots on goal and 15 scores. The goal which was a fluke proved a big difference in the end.

Makes for very interesting final has been nothing between Armagh and Galway in the last couple of championship meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

McGuinness looked distraught at the end. I know its just his first year back but with Dublin and Kerry gone and Armagh who they already beat in Ulster final waiting in the final i'd say he fully believed he was going to carry on where he left off all those years ago by winning another All Ireland. Some hide it better than others but McGuinness' face said it all. Pure devestation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Damien Lalor asks the most pointless long winded questions to players at the end of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but it was obvious who was gonna win that one 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 14,463 ✭✭✭✭cson

PJ summed it up well in his interview, Galway are just a little bit further down the track than Donegal & thats what got them over the line today.

Obviously hoping we can do it as a Galwayman, but tis good for the game to have two counties who haven't won since 2003 & 2001 in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Couldn't figure out the injury time, no real stoppages and 4 minutes signalled with 5 & a half minutes played.

Last week Cork vs Limerick had 4 minutes signalled and the ball spent most of it in touch & nothing over 4 minutes was played

Was impressed how well Galway broke through the Donegal defense today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,918 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Was a big stoppage for some subs and Galway took plenty of time with restarts. Some refs are better than others at punishing it.

Poor Mayo. I suppose they will be sick if their old nemesis and dear old neighbours Galway bring the All Ireland across the Shannon. While Mayo just can't do it Galway at least have 1998 and 2001 to tap into to. Galway are well able to seal the deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,876 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭shockframe

I hate the way people deride the game as being like basketball but Donegals approach whilst effective became a bit predictable by the 50th minute and instead of going for 3 pointers they might have been better off going for the occasional slam dunk.

Galway seemed to have slightly more variety about them up front.

Game got a bit flat for 7/8 minutes and it may have given Donegal unease for the majority of their players not being used to this stage.

One of the most unlikely finals in quite some time. Gonna be great excitement in the build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Great defending from Galway overall. But I thought Donegal were crisper at the shooting particularly in first half. Brilliant atmosphere at the match, loads of families at it great to see.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Now can all the pundits (I'm looking at Brolly) stop with the McGuiness is the Messiah crap.

He hasn't reinvented football. He's not some sort of managerial genius. They fell over the line in every game in Ulster and Cork gave him a dose of reality.

Fair play to Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Rosita

I think Kerry, in the last 15 years have become accustomed to a new reality. Not sure they'll be holding 6/7/8 All Ireland medals as a target to not be ostracised in Kerry society anymore.

As for great players "finding a way" - that's a classic media cliché which is fairly meaningless. The broader standard of the team players play with is the greater indicator of prospects. By that measure it's hard to confidently predict that Clifford will be laden down with medals. Whether that makes him a lesser individual is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 48,232 ✭✭✭✭km79

They were an absolute SHAMBLES when he took them over

A shambles

I was at the Mayo Donegal league game in Donegal in March of last year . The donegal manager was drinking in the hotel bar the night before . I watched their pre game warm up closely the following day. He was stood to the side and pretty much let them at it . Mayo won at a canter . A shambles

Yes indeed it is. I thought that was fairly obvious about the standard of player he is playing with. Clifford is surrounded by very good players with Kerry being there or thereabouts the last few years. So being surrounded by a good team then you would expect the genius of David Clifford to 'find a way' to win more close games than they have in recent years. Thats the way i see it anyway. That's what i expected of great players playing for Dublin over the years like Connolly, Brogan, Con. To step up when really needed. Clifford so far has not done it a lot in the really important games. But time is on his side. Time will confirm if he is Kerrys greatest forward or the best forward the game has seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Jizique

he did it at minor thought, so he is clearly supremely talented (if you ignore the fact that he was taller and stronger than his markers)……..

I remember Joe Canning say the worst thing that happened to him was scoring 2-10 as a 19 year old in a league final v Cork. I was actually at it in Thurles its a long time ago forget the year.

Cliffords worst thing for expectation was probably scoring 4-4 in a minor All Ireland final v Derry. Granted it is underage but that type of scoring is off the charts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭shockframe

Clifford is a great player in full flow but he has had an indifferent year really. It happens.

Still the best out there just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Somebody earlier was saying that Clifford should take a year out to recharge.

If he did that then he would be resuming his intercounty career at 27. He hasn't as much time as some people think.

He is 6/7 years into his senior career and people still acting like he is going to be the next big thing. Fact is he was always overrated by a lot of people and very frequently got given plaudits based on reputation rather than actual achievement. His 2018 Allstar for example was ridiculous.

Hes a top player, any team would have him, but the talk of greatest ever was always a complete nonsense, I can think of a hell of a lot of forwards from the past 30 years that I would pick ahead of him in a greatest 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The saddest words ever used to describe a player are 'he was a great minor'.

Clifford has had a fine senior career, is a brilliant talent, and can yet become an all time great, but he has yet to do it. I've nothing against him, he's a fine player, but he still has something to prove to be called an all time great.

I can't remember off hand but there have been quite a few pundits and ex players that have said he's the best they've ever seen. Joe Brolly is one. I think Pat Spillane did but not 100% sure on that. So he has support in some quarters for being the greatest already. Just wish i could remember them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Brolly is a pound shop Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Jizique

Media, always media - trying to keep their profile up, always the next great thing - which then gives them the opportunity to drag them down in due course, the same in all sports and politics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭C__MC

Clifford is a very good player but is struggling with his fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Clifford is a 25 year old who has won an All Ireland, in which he was man of the match and kicked eight points…..a bit of perspective needed here. You would think he has won nothing based on some of the comments here.

As a Galwegian no doubt Shane Walsh was the best player on the field that day but that shouldn’t take away from an outstanding game by Clifford on the biggest stage.

Kerry need to find a few players, ideally Paul Geaney would be coming off the bench for the last twenty and they could do with another option in midfield too. That’s not to take away from Clifford being well below average but just the reality of it.

Should be a great final, Armagh and Galway have built up a bit of a rivalry in the last few years with a kick of the ball in it every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭C__MC

Galway in each of those games, were the better team but struggled to see off armagh.

Advertisement