Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If such mandates come from a global head office, local managers need to ensure local infrastructure is in place to support it.

My wife's office is going EV for company cars and she tells me that in advance they are installing chargers exclusively for company car use at their sites across the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

As a matter of interest, what makes and models of EV were these guys driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hailtothethief

VW ID4, the big battery versions

I think there's a few Skoda Enyaq's there also

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope, everyone was not told that. Thats hyperbole.

I also consider myself part of “everyone” as you constantly seem to post, but I wasn’t told to swap to EV. No idea where that narrative comes from within the EVHater parade.

If someone made the wrong choice, that’s on them. It is constantly posted in this forum when someone asks about going EV, what their routines are. Only fools ignore those posts to suit their agenda.

Must be old EV’s. Limerick is a 350km return trip. I can do that on one charge in my 2020 car that’s not exactly efficient.

• Advertisement

Something wrong if they can’t do that trip rerun on a single charge.

Pedal to the metal on the motorway would do it I suppose. But that car has one of the best charge curves around. Stays above 100kW to 75% SoC, so adding on another 150km would take maybe 15-20 minutes?

Of course. I’d say it’s just ignorance on the drivers side. Instead of sitting at 120 or even 110-115, add 5 mins to the journey, and they get home to spend time with their “young family”.

I’d say there’s more to the story!

Did they have a young family? Didn't notice that bit…

The charge times seem weird as well. As I said, one of the best charge curves in the business with 10-80% taking 27 minutes. I suspect they may be charging up to 100% when stopping and that's when the charge curve falls off a cliff.

Seemly so yes. But that would have been a young family a few years ago when global enforced the change. Seems short sighted now to swap back if that young family are not so young anymore.

Plus, if a stop is required, you wouldn’t even need the full stop. 10 mins would be enough as the ID4 77kwh battery can do 350km plus if driven properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

I’m not an ev hater at all. The mood music was to buy an ev or nothing, be it from government, decisions from manufacturers that they were going ev only or what not. BMW, Ford, etc we’re all making big announcements about the future being ev only.

At least BMW have started that transition with no new diesels. PHEV or EV only. You can’t even pick up a 520d in the UK now unless it’s a MHEV so times a changing.

I’m sure many other manufacturers are in the same position now. Obviously excluding the EV only brands (Tesla/Polestar etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Where can you get extended warranty on an Audi Q7 ?? Audi Ireland only offer it bundled in with the sale of a “approved used plus” or whatever they call it from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Can you post further details of who is providing this warranty please ? If it’s just the usual crap from Mapfre or CarProtect, don’t bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

AutoProtect

I had this before with Windsor on another car and got a few things fixed, no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The story makes no sense. Why stop for an hour in a car that doesn't need to stop. Why would Dublin Staff going to a Dublin office need to be on a charger. Why would a company not prioritize those travelling long distance. Why not stop on a high speed DC charger for a top up, rather than sitting for hours on a 7kw charger.

These stories (and I see similar posted all over) seem to be created by people who think EV's charge 0-100%. That they have no range, and it takes hours to charge at a DC charger.

That said if I was doing "non stop" round trips journeys of 5-600km+ on a regular basis I'd just buy a diesel with 1000km range.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I found the first couple of hours to be enjoyable from a driving and comfort aspect, but after that, I noticed it just didn't feel like a car, because it's not really a car. It's an ugly SUV with a high price tag courtesy of the badge above that oversized hideous grille, which by the way lights up in the dark 😂. Tacky or what.

At least the Santa Fe is a true SUV. Large, proper 7 seater with real presence. I would take it any day over the X5. The Koreans are beating the Germans hand over fist. And you don't need 20 grand worth of options to make it liveable.

The X5

Sorry, easy mistake to make. The X5…

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

it has always been the case a nicely specified bread and butter made more “sense” than a premium marque.

Not entirely sure why this thread has become about massive SUVs.

Do all of you require a humongous 7 seat SUV on a regular basis or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,476 ✭✭✭✭fits

agree. It doesnt make any sense at all. They’d need a much shorter stop if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,476 ✭✭✭✭fits

agree. It doesnt make any sense at all. They’d need a much shorter stop if any.
    and they wouldn’t be doing that trip every day either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The original point suggested that there was 30 to 45 mins charging involved.

Thus suggesting that DC charging was involved.

Where it gets tricky is understanding the process involved.

When are the drivers charging, are they having range anxiety.

Are they pulling in to charge at 50 percent and charging to 100 percent.

Would be interesting to replicate the journey pattern to understand the issue fully.

Edit

Infrastructure has an impact here - in Norway Bjorn Neyland is doing 625 miles with average speeds of 60 mph INCLUDING charging time.

In MEB platform cars.

That speed would go up if you were doing a 320 mile challenge.

However Norwegian infrastructure allows Bjorn go for the shortest possible stops making best use of charging curve on the car.

I remember when one of the Model 3s did the 1000 km challenge in 9 hrs 20 one time.

He was doing 12 min charge stops and finishing up at 50 percent because that was faster then doing 10 to 80 percent in 30 mins or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

As an aside.

Someone getting out of EV captures much more attention.

Then someone whose had an EV and is changing it for another EV. The latter isn't even noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well yes of course. Much is made of once you go EV you never go back. While the numbers in the Irish context are currently unknown, as I've said 2 people I know have reverted for 242. Two people is not a trend but the work carpark has gone from five EVs to three.

Something has gone wrong for the EV in Ireland. Perhaps the hype around the 2020 era models that the EV had come of age led a number of people down the EV path when they weren't suited for it, particularly tempermentally. Poorly knowledgeable sales people, only interested in selling you the car you want rather than the one best suited to your needs is a problem too. The last thing that needs to be gotten rid of is the promotion of wltp as being close to real world range. I personally think Wltp should be quoted in "perfomance units" rather than km and consumers need to be educated that it is only a score to compare cars not one that reflects real world range.

I know 3 guys who have done EV in the last 2 weeks. One came out of an E60 535d, another out of an F10 535d and another out of a D4D Avensis. So they balance out the 2 you lost.

They got into a Tesla (x2) and a BZ4X.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭crl84

Fair play.

I do that drive the opposite way twice a month for work. Doing it again this Tuesday.

Stop in Circkle K Fermoy, plug in car to charge, get a coffee and breakfast, and by the time I've ordered, paid, sat down, eaten, you're talking about 15mins and the car has enough charge to get to work (Little Island) and all the way back home.

When i used to do the journey in my diesel, I'd need to either leave the house the night before to go fill the tank in advance of the journey, or stop en-route anyway. I'd also be stopping for breakfast and coffee on the journey (because work is paying for it in expenses), but the car would just be sitting there doing nothing. Now the car charges while I'm eating my brekkie roll and having coffee. So it's much of a muchness to me. The time involved in going to the filling station, filling the car and coming home probably (along with my breakfast/coffee stop) probably worked out taking more time out of my life than charging while I'm eating my breakfast currently does.

Post edited by crl84 on

They are not charging to 100% in 30-45 mins.

If they were stopping for 30 mins then they definitely didn't need a 7kw in Dublin.

Bjorn has nothing to do with this. His is an artificial test, interesting, but no one is going down to 1% with a portable battery pack like he is. He's also testing battery cooling or heating. So he's pushing the absolute limits.

Listen I get it. Hammering to Dublin for an early meeting or getting out ahead of the traffic going home. They don't want to stop even for 5 mins. They also don't want to have to think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭josip

But they could charge en route on the way home, far outside Dublin and traffic. Do these lads have to do any critical thinking as part of their jobs? Also, how are they going to get out of their EVs if it's a global mandate?

Advertisement