Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Well I think it's more about who makes a song and dance about it. I know in my office there's very little interest in any car other than a few petrol heads.

One guy a know who went back from EV to ICE, has about 4 or 5 cars. He initially said it was range, but he was driving past high speed chargers which made no sense to me. He admitted he could have made it work, but just didn't want to. I think thats a more genuine reason.

Its very hard to get people to change habits. Especially in work situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭SodiumCooled

EV drivers always assume others stop on these 2-3 hour drives. I do regular long drives of this duration and I either don’t stop or it’s for 2 or 3 mins to grab a coffee. Very rarely I would need to get diesel as I usually fill up on the way home the day before and I have close to 1000km range on a full tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

And that's far more valuable insight for a policymaker then BS but hard to disprove reasons around public charging infrastructure being inadequate.

Some people are reverting to Ice because they aren't arsed to make the changes needed for EV ownership to be a success, and are willing to pay a very large premium to revert.

I suspect that is closer to the truth for my two colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭crl84

And petrol/diesel drivers always discount the time taken to go to the filling station and fill up, just as you have there.

And you may not stop on these journeys, but most people travelling for business will be getting breakfast/lunch on the road and expensing it, and so will be stopping for 15mins+ regardless....

You're not doing a round trip from Dublin-Cork and not eating during a 6hr+ working day.

So at some point, a diesel driver leaves their car sitting there doing nothing while they're eating, just as I used to do. Now it charges while I eat.

• Advertisement

Hardly an assumption when that was the reason given. They need to stop when they have an EV with the range not to stop.

And I've already given an example where people don't want to stop. So that's not true either.

Most EV drivers will charge overnight and be full in the morning. Not needing to charge for 2-3 hr drives either.

And I'll repeat for the hard of reading, if I was doing 1000km journeys much of it non stop id buy a diesel. In Ireland there no disincentive not to.

I used to hate getting the car back from the other half late at night with the needle bouncing off red. Knowing I had little time in the morning to go out of my way to fill up. So either gamble in the morning, or go out and

But I know everyone has different habits and different annoyances. You could discover it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ir3

I think this misses a big point, if the vehicles are used correctly then they will do the job and save these young families a lot of money! Everything we do in life pretty much boils down to euros & cents but if the companies global mandates have now changed to allow them to go back to paying the revenue for the privilege of not working out how to use them correctly well then I guess thats their choice and good luck to them.

I think his point was sometimes people are willing to pay extra for convenience as they see it. In this case extra cost of fuel to avoid charging.

For me paying more for an EV would be worth the convenience of the things I like about an EV. Range isn't a priority for me. But each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I think it's all relative. Somebody who drives 5k a year won't feel the benefit of an EV because despite cheaper fuel it might not offset the price of the car over the cars lifetime but somebody like me who drives 35-40k a year is a very different story. I'm saving nearly 3k a year on fuel alone but somebody driving 5k is likely only saving about 400 on fuel so their payback is longer.

Of course then long term petrol and diesel is only going to go up in price

• Advertisement

They might also not be paying for fuel out of their pocket, but a company is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

Fuel still isn’t that expensive that’s it’s worth faffing about for. 25ks of petrol in a modern car is about €2.5k. Charging the same distance is what, €800? €2k extra over a year isn’t enough to sacrifice much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Plenty of free work chargers out there as well

Depends really. If the greens become kingmakers in Dail Eireann again the fuel duty will likely be doubled.

Depending on income levels 2k per year could be enough to sway some

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was getting tyres a few weeks ago, and got chatting to a guy there with an X5 hybrid, he was telling me that he had an electric Audi, and guy rid of it, due to charging being a pain in the rear.

He was traveling Dublin to Cork, and had to stop at 3 charging points.. none would work, and he eventually just parked the car up and got someone from his office to come and collect him.

I must add, that his wife was with him and she was giving him an ear ache, and that's pushed him over the edge, and went back to ice

I'm guessing there's more than 3 chargers between Dublin and Cork. Maybe the car had a fault.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’d say that story has a hint of Chinese whispers to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭micks_address

i dont doubt that story…you could argue he didnt put enough effort into charging which is why he ended up stuck.. no getting away from the fact you have to plan your charges on the longer trips and be prepared for disappointment of chargers being full or not working

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The Audi doesn't have great range for a car of its size. SIL's brother had one and gave it up due to extreme range anxiety. Bought a Porsche instead. And not a Taycan.

I think we can say with a high degree of certainty the greens won’t be kingmakers and won’t get to double the price of petrol.

Anyone buying a ev capable of replacing an ice (e.g not an aged leaf) can afford 2k of petrol.

I spoke to the man., I'm only repeating what he told me.

But I suppose any story that doesn't suit the ev agenda is rubbish.

• Advertisement

I personally know of a person who forgot to charge their id3 and was late to collect their son from primary school. It could easily have been avoided of course, but the car got the road after that incident. A petrol car came in is place. It may have been an overreaction, but it’s another example of the perceived user unfriendliness of the technology.

More like stories that don't "suit the EV agenda" always seem to have lots of holes in them.

Theres dozens of chargers on the route between Dublin and Cork. And most locations on the route have multiple chargers at each.

Maybe the guy is a bit of an idiot. Certainly sounds like it. Or lying. Or you're lying. Who knows.

I'm doing that journey (and back) in the morning, just like I do multiple times a month. Never had an issue finding a charger that works along the route. I doubt tomorrow will be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

"Maybe the guy is a bit of an idiot. Or lying. Or you're lying. Who knows. "

Wow, that's a pretty offensive & aggressive personal attack, but there you go…

Not really. Unless you're easily offended.

It's probably the most well served road in the country for chargers. What he said isn't really possible, unless you're the same type of person who would run out of petrol on that drive. The story doesn't add up.

Edit: Plugshare shows 44 multi-charger locations along the route, and 26 single-unit locations. You'd have to be a complete idiot to have to end up abandoning your car.

Post edited by crl84 on

Somebody with crippling range anxiety might well do it though. Not rational, but possible.

If it were me with crippling range anxiety and didn't like charging or EVs.

I'd just buy a straight diesel. Not a hybrid.

Curious what EV agenda I'm meant to have when I say I'd buy a non hybrid diesel in that scenario.

Oh yeah. But I think the problem is partially caused by not speccing the EV properly. If you look at the E-Tron 50 and 55 quattros which would be very attractive to buy, the range is pretty dismal. So you like the car and only look at the WLTP range and squint a bit and it's all hunky dory until you hit the road and find you're only getting 200km on the motorway in winter and 250 in the summer.

But even then, you only have to charge once on the way to Cork and once on the way back. Not three times.

Edit: Just checked and the OP said he stopped three times because (I think he means) the chargers wouldn't work. If true, that's some amount of bad luck. Like what are the chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I drive Dublin to little island in cork quite regularly. In an Audi etron. Never encountered a broken charger or unavailable chargers. Not once. Got the 4th charger in cashel once alright so a bit lucky.

I've only ever charged in cashel or fermoy. I'm sure there's other options.

The thing about Audi though, he might have had a 50 etron or a 35 Q4 etron, range isn't great on either of them and I could see 2 stops needed. They shouldn't really have sold either of those vehicles but they were cheaper alternatives to the 55 etron and 40 Q4 etron.

Mine is only 1 stop and it's on return leg unless I want to get fed on way down.

• Advertisement

I think the rhetoric is a bit too strong in fairness.

Advertisement