Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options
1101102103104105107»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A MMD is what I’m looking for . I thought that since I am already diagnosed that I’d be seen fairly soon . What DMD’s are available to me I don’t know , or what is the best . I was on avonex so looking for a better one

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gamerguy1

Its quite odd that you haven't seen a consultant yet since you were diagnosed. You should have been offered a DMD as soon as you were diagnosed too. I'd be chasing that up, shout louder and you will be heard. Plenty of much better dmds out there now ,avonex is old. You have a choice of tablets or infusion that are much stronger than avonex. They all good it's about finding one that suits your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

nothing’s odd in fuerking Irish neurology, ffs. On and off I consider suicide and have told SVUH who keep losing records and “ a t consenting without them”. I am angry, angry, angry.

I was but since being diagnosed I’ve moved from south to north and to a different trust . I was signed off Avonex for liver issues. The last few months have seen a decline in my ability that’s , imo , quite drastic . I know a DMD won’t change that but I feel like I’m being lost in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gamerguy1

Moving around has made it more difficult to keep track of you I suppose. Still you should be on the system, maybe a go could get you onto a consultant faster. My ability has declined fast the last 6 months too, drastically fast. A DMD would help slow down the progression and you should get the strongest one.

• Advertisement

I have an appointment next month with a respiratory consultant to try to see what is my best strategy to deal with recurrent aspiration pneumonia, I seem to spend at least a quarter of my time on amoxicillin, always sets in during a time of multiple episodes of choking on my own saliva. A speech therapist told me in my case it’s due to lack of sensory feedback from my mouth urging timely swallowing. At same time my speech is just beginning to be affected at times.

If you progress to the late stage of MS, and if no other unrelated disease intervenes, and all else being equal, this is what claims you, indeed it’s what ends the lives of many with serious neuro issues. There’s no way of really eliminating it, but perhaps lessening its occurrence. The speech therapist said to try and remember to swallow every time I see something or other, but this doesn’t work during sleep and it is very hard to keep up consciously thinking to do something that is an automatic function in the majority.

Has anyone here being dealing with this issue, and how do you cope with it?

No I haven’t had any of those symptoms so I can’t help . Is there anyone else from a speech therapist you can see . Have you contacted your MS nurse about this ?
    Though my leg and foot are killing me after my last fall. Another trip to A&E on Monday for an X-ray . Typical , the first time in years I had to go and 2 weeks later I’m back

Post edited by cj maxx on

I would be more inclined to go to a minor injuries clinic for the Xray rather than spend 25 hours on a chair in A&E, but I’m Dublin based. Well and good if it’s not broken and even if it is, might be managed by the clinic as when happened when I broke my foot. Any way of avoiding the horrible ED. But if you are located well away from one of these facilities you don’t have that choice.

MS nurse, lol. My one and only attempt to contact her was met with “return to your GP”. SVUH is a joke of a hospital, they managed to fail to see one single one of my MRIs and told me diagnostic process has to start at square one again, even though I have symptoms of advanced secondary progressive MS. I have a complaint in with the Ombudsman. Several other people I know first hand, have had this fate in SVUH, and the clinic doctor even had the gumption to say “records can go astray when you get MRIs taken at a different hospital, it’s not at all unusual for a patient to find themselves in your position”.

Also she had the gumption to say “at least you don’t have Motor Neuron Disease or Parkinson’s “.

Completely tone deaf staff at that clinic.

Strangely I got diagnosed in SVUH and thought it was OK , though I had my ex-wifes private Insurance so probably made a massive difference . Also that was in 2015

No minor injury clinic near me and I'm in NI . I 'm pretty sure nothing is broken as it's getting better, as in sharp pain when I stand up is gone. Though there is still pain standing on my right foot and the back of my leg (hamstring ?) so I'd like to make sure as walking on a stick is hard when you can't put weight on your 'good' leg.

• Advertisement

private insurance wouldn’t make any difference in a public only clinic which SVUH MS Clinic is. None of the consultants are seeing patients privately as they have full case loads with increased population & not enough neuros coming on board. Other people I know from MS Ireland socials have had similar experience of the clinic as myself. One was attending 3 years before diagnosis, files getting lost etc. The single nurse refers you back to GP “unless you are on DMT, although I think they have got an other nurse now. I think I won’t be given treatment now as it’s likely way too late, but the original intention of the Prof was to offer me Ocrevus, but then communications failed and none of my MRIs got to clinic until I hand delivered copies I had obtained recently. There’s a huge overall problem with SVUH, in all departments where communication is paper only.

It’s a real pity there’s no injury clinic as you are in and out in less than 2 hours, with treatment plan, and really only if surgery is needed are you then referred to a hospital with all preliminary images & assessment t done. You do want to make sure you do the right thing by your “good leg”.

I didn’t know the neurologists didn’t do private work now . They did in 2015 . I was there for about 4 years before diagnosis doing mri’s lumbar punctures etc.

Advertisement