Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassination attempt on Donald Trump - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭susan678

My comments are aimed squarely at posters in this vile thread one in particular saying they don't care about the dead individual.

The left in recent years scares me way more then the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,595 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A couple in the UK in the last few years.

Japanese former PM Abe in Japan couple years ago.

Apparently 17% of all US politicians have been shot. Nearly a 1 in 5 chance which would mean on average once ever 20-30 years.

And Reagan was shot just over 40 years ago so in a less obvious way than the rhetoric of recent years, this is overdue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes it does matter, conversations such as this will influence the minds of hundreds of thousands of voters - if not millions.

It'll certainly motivate Republicans to get out and vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,881 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Conversations such as this about.. Biden not being able to dodge bullets? Seriously?

Master of the Universe

double post.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The righteous indignation out of your posts in this thread would make British red top newspapers editors blush.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 60,584 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Conversations about Trump literally being a 'strongman' type character who appeared belligerent and defiant seconds after narrowly avoiding death as opposed to Biden who is engulfed in a national debate regarding whether he is cognitively impaired. Yeah, it matters and anyone who thinks it doesn't should come back to us in a week after we have the latest polling figures. People always draw parallel's between politicians. This will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Earlier you were claiming to be concerned about the innocent victim, then you just used it as a platform to attack 'the left' with insulting language. Hardly the actions of someone whose main concern is those killed or wounded. Is your post directed at yourself then?

You obviously haven't been paying attention then.

Trump incited a mob to storm the Capitol which led to bloodshed. He tried to steal the last election.

He uses inflammatory language about immigrants "poisoning the blood" of the nation, whipping up hatred towards minorities.

When racist far right mobs rioted, Trump told them they were fine people.
    He told similar far right groups such as the Proud Boys to 'stand by'.

When the families of other politicians are viciously attacked, Trump makes a joke of it, dog whistling his approval.

A far right group tried to kidnap the Democrat Governor of Michigan.

That doesn't 'scare' you but you get worked up about 'cancel culture'?

Nope, utterly unconvincing as the pretence of anyone remotely in the political 'centre'.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Babyreignbow

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭corkie

How conspiracy theories and hate dominated social feeds after assassination attempt on Trump. ~ BBC

Like clockwork, some of the theories from social media where also mentioned on the boards threads?

This was a test for Elon Musk’s new Twitter - and it’s hard to say the site passed with flying colours.
    The other social media sites haven’t been inundated in the same way, perhaps because of their target audience and X’s reputation as a home of political discourse. ~~ Typical of the BBC to get a dig in about 'X'!?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - Stay on topic, there are other threads to discuss wars in Ukraine and Gaza

Hardly a coincidence though as the Tories have sown division for well over a decade.

Migrants, Labour the EU have all been on their blame list.

When you are incapable of governing, you need something to replace competence and hate works a treat.

Try a scan of the Mail or I'm told the Express is as bad if not worse, the readership make a rabid wolf look quite cute and cuddly by comparison sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭thereiver

Its a massive security failure that a shooter could simply climb on a roof and shoot at trump from about 200 yards away, normally theres secret service staff on buildings near or overlooking a public event where trump or biden is appearing at or making a public speech .there was also a problem in that the shooter was partly hidden by a large tree making it hard for some of the secret service to shoot him .

if trump or biden are going to a public place to make a speech theres normally a survey of the surrounding buildings and the arena for potential threats .a building that is in clear sight of the stage where trump is going to appear at is obviously a security threat. There,s of people hate trump due to his past behavior and support of right wing extremist groups /

Update from the FBI via the BBC:

FBI Special Agent Kevin Rojek just said that, so far, there are no indications that Crooks was suffering from any mental health issues.

The FBI is currently focused on Crooks' motivations, particularly via his social media.
    "We have not seen anything threatening," he added. "But it's still very early on."
    The FBI is still "working to get access" to Crooks' phone. It is currently being sent to an FBI lab in Quantico, Virginia.
    Recent communications have revealed nothing as to his motivations or a larger plan, according to the FBI officials on the call.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/cljy6yz1j6gt?post=asset%3A425b0132-0f24-4885-87ed-7c244bd5a7f3#post

Hate seems a pretty minor optional extra.

Mass shootings are a pretty popular passtime in the US.

No one can possibly have the time to actually interview those they want to kill to see how they feel toward them.

The entire country is loopy. They love their flags even more than the lot up in the North, yet none seem to realise that a country is it's people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

It's the basic errors which make one wonder just how much anyone cares about ideology or dogma vs rational assessment. The bump stock ban was not a constitutional issue and was decided on the basis of statutory interpretation. I.e. the question on whether or not the law as written actually covered the things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

Anyone who scoffs at the idea of a similarity between Trump (not just Trump as a person BTW but the organisation around him) and Hitler and the Nazis clearly don't understand history or don't care. In fact the rise of this extremism in America is an indictment of the lack of historical education in the West over the last few generations.

1. Use clearly targeted propaganda to spread misinformation (out of the Joseph Goebbels playbook) - Check
    2. Create an enemy within to "rise up against" - Check
    3. Use violence as opposed to the ballot box on order to attempt to cease control (The Beer Hall Putsch/Attack on the Capitol) - Check
    4. Dehumanise opponents, migrants, and anyone deemed to not fit into your idea of the perfect country - Check
    5. Also very important to accuse the "other side" of exactly what you are doing.

Once you appeal to the low brow masses and self interested power brokers and billionaires the rest is plain sailing. Erosion of rights comes next and conformity is then law. Outspoken critics are silenced and one party law follows.

Also remember as I stated above, none of this happens over night. Hitler became "Führer of the Nazi Party" in 1921. It was a further 12 years before he became Chancellor, a year and a half later he became Führer of the Germany and then 5 years after that he invaded Poland. So from his rise up the ranks it took 18 years before he started WW2.

Just because the MAGA Cult hasn't gone that far yet is no indication of future sanity. They are in their infancy in comparison to other Authoritarian regimes. And make no mistake about it. They want Authoritarian rule. Also, before anyone cherry picks one point made, no, I'm not necessarily saying that Trump will start WW3, what I'm saying is he will lead the US down a dangerous Authoritarian route and weaken International cooperation which in turn will destabilise international cooperation. He even promised as much publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

it does seem odd, but any inadvertent laxity in security can produce this result, when least expected. It only takes one unhinged individual to have been looking, maybe ling and hard, for their opportunity to commit this crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,324 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

The point is that it'll never happen. Same way it didn't happen during Trump's first term despite the GOP having control of all 3 branches of government plus the Supreme Court being majority Conservative.

The hysteria over Trump's impending dictatorship is beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,712 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

media reports also swirling that he had explosive devices in his car and bomb making materials at their residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,712 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the Uvalde officers arent the only cowardly force it seems.

We now know partly how the shooter wasn’t stopped - an officer DID encounter Crooks right before the shooting, but then RETREATED, granting him the opportunity to make the shots.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/crime/trump-shooting-assassination-attempt-biden-speaks/amp/

I don’t think that officer will ever live this down nor should he.

They say not long before shots rang out, rallygoers noticed a man climbing to the roof of a nearby building and warned local police. When an officer climbed to the roof, Crooks pointed his rifle at the officer. The sources say the officer retreated down the ladder and Crooks quickly took a shot toward Trump, and that’s when the U.S. Secret Service counter snipers shot him. Trump was injured in the shooting but is “fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Well there's a difference between sticking his head over the top of the ladder and finding himself looking down the barrel of a rifle then retreating to raise the alarm versus actually being on his feet, in a position to engage the shooter but deciding 'I think I'll go back down here'.

Maybe we should wait for the full story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭randomuser02125

I'll remember that when I get my ballot.

Nope, still voting for the non-rapist.

I dont know if I would go that far... but it seems a strange action to go up the ladder in vulnerable position such that cant respond if encounter a clear threat.

It suggests a disconnect in comms between police and secret service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement