Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I was watching a Year Til Sunday during the week and what struck me was John O Mahony saying after the All Ireland semi final win over Derry that they had five weeks to get ready for the final. Looking back that was a ridiculous time to have to wait. Now we have both Galway and Armagh with two short weeks before the big day. Armagh with an extra days rest although dont think that will be of any advantage. I wonder are the players happy with the two week build up i think thats about right. Maybe three weeks at a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Jizique

interesting to see Comer play centre forward v tiernan Kelly……

He won't though, will definitely play full

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Connolly a great player? Too hot headed and washed up at 30. Unreliable. Court case recently too. Clifford is a different level to him (waiting for someone to bring up All-Ireland medals)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭Rosita

Why would you cite a court case recently (or any time really) when judging a player's ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,226 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

If I recall in the middle of the second half Donegal dropped three balls on the trot into the keepers hands.

That sort of stuff kills you in a game like today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Armagh and Galway saved football this year by beating Kerry and Dublin so I guess they deserved to play eachother in the final. Donegal will be kicking themselves. Like 2014 another huge opportunity lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,472 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This is the sort of nonsense that we are talking about.

Clifford is a different level to Connolly.

Why? Based on what?

He hasn't actually done nearly enough yet to deserve that sort of accolade but still some will throw it out as a given. Its not a given at all, not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

There was quite a lot of that today.ID say could have been five or six efforts dropped short. Unusual amount.

I'm a non-Galwegian and am convinced Walsh was the best player on the pitch that day. Yet, Clifford won MOTM and Kevin McStay said he had never seen the likes of it despite several scores coming from marks. You would think he had done something amazing rather than playing well in an All Ireland winning team in a relatively open game of football against a team that actually allows you to play. It's actually trying to get Clifford back into perspective some of us are, rather than needing to. It is from the angle of claims that he is the greatest footballer ever that this perspective issue is coming. Nobody is saying he didn't play well in an All Ireland final.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭C__MC

I'm wouldn't be suprised if Clifford got an all star nominee of poty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Disappointing end but after a brilliant year, no complaints. We clearly struggled in attack in the last 20 minutes. Apparently we were playing into a wind in 2nd half so that might explain so many shots into keepers hands. Also They looked very tired toward the end, more so than Galway. In Jim’s first stint the improvement in strength, conditioning, speed and stamina between year 1 and 2 was huge so I would hope he can repeat that. Whether that potential is there this time remains to be seen. 

WRT to kick outs I’ve been saying all year that I think we drop off for most- our press isn’t that effective and we’ve been conceding a lot of easy scores off opposition kick outs due to being out of position, whereas when we get our defence set we are much harder to break down. Just seems to me we’re losing more than we’re gaining pushing up on kick outs. 

Personally I would rather have had mcbrearty on the pitch at the end when we were struggling for scores- he has a great track record of coming on the loop and kicking clutch scores in these situations. 

Daragh O Baoile and Niall O Donnell have had a disappointing drop in form-when you think of the scores they kicked in the Ulster final we could have done with a couple of those down the stretch today. 

Given we got out of jail against Tyrone and Armagh can’t really complain when we ran out of luck today. 
    Im sure I’m not the only one who can’t wait for next season

Thought Mogan was poor today but will probably still get his all star. Langan, McCole and Gallen have to be contenders as well, though obviously they won’t all get in. 

Finally, Congratulations to Galway. Fully deserved and I’ll certainly be shouting for them in the Final🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Eh because it shows he's unreliable. Just like there was a schenfraude over Hayes losing last week, the same should apply to Connolly's stauts in the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭Seadin

Did Jack Ó connor and Mc geeney have words at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 18,748 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Didn’t the Galway keeper stop one going over the bar as well? It was odd early on in game Donegal were very accurate, more accurate than Galway. By the end Donegal were taking tired/half hearted shots.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

They did have a good year but they literally won Ulster by struggling past every team they faced. A point either way and they were gone.

This nonsense that McGuinness is a footballing genius is rubbish. Any half decent manager with the determination to put some discipline on Donegal wouldn't have been far away from where they ended up.

You'd swear listening to some pundits that the man is the greatest ever manager in GAA history.

Brolly said before that he looked at McGuinness in the Donegal dugout and then he looked at the Derry dugout and how inadequate their management team was. Harte sitting there with 3 All Ireland's, 6 Ulster's, 2 leagues and 12 Dr McKenna's. That's some shít talking about McGuinness there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

They have and fair play to them, but out of context to the poster I replied to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,629 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Winning Ulster scraping past the others is impressive. You say a point either way and they were gone.. but that didn’t happen. It’s Knockout Football. Can’t be using ifs and buts.

Donegal were the laughing stock last year. It’s some turnaround. Brolly is right - it’s a competent management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

That’s a lot of bigging up of Harte when we were 10points up on Derry before taking the foot off the gas… struggled though each game though yea? Harte was a top manager, but his day has past.

Harte has 20 years in management and 6 ulsters… in 5 years McGuinness has 4 (more than a third of all of donegals).

4 AI Semis in 5 years, since the back door came in we have 1 other appearance… but any manager could get us there?

And honestly who gives a toss about McKenna cups? You really think that’s a stick here?

All around today though congrats to Galway, we did run out of steam and made poor decisions at the end. Have to be there for 70mins. Very tight game up to that, hopefully another next year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Two enjoyable semi finals that was finely balanced and could have went either way and I expect the final to be similar. Galway haven't won the All Ireland since 2001 and Armagh 2002 that makes for a far more interesting final for neutral watching than Kerry or Dublin wining another All Ireland title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭dobman88

MOTM could have gone to either of them that day. If Galway won, it would've gone to Walsh. When the media say there was a "shootout" between Clifford and Walsh, its a myth. Walsh scored 9, with 4 or 5 coming from frees/marks. Clifford scored 8, with 4 or 5 coming from frees/marks. Literally one point separating 2 top class players. But it's not like either of them shot the lights out from play so the meaningless MOTM award went to the one on the winning team is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭threeball

Galway dropped an additional 2 players back in the 2nd half which filled up the spaces that Donegal were exploiting to get their kicks away in the first half. Less space, more awkward angles and more pressure on the ball when kicking. Fine margins which made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

In 2003 my dad and I went to see Donegal play Armagh in the National League game in Ballybofey, it was one of those GAA memories that has stayed with me all my life. 

I was a teenager at the time and the previous September my dad and I were lucky enough to be in Croke Park to see Armagh win their first and only All Ireland. To this day I have never heard a roar in Croker like the one when Oisin McConville hit the back of the net. Kerry had been 4 points up at half time and were cruising but then Joe Kernan smashed his medal off the dressing room wall and the rest as they say is history. Up until then I hadn’t experienced that height of joy and euphoria that the GAA brings out in people, the scenes at the final whistle were incredible.

Fast forward to the league game the following spring. Donegal had also had a positive 2002 season having brought Dublin to a replay in the quarter final, and I was quietly hoping we could snatch a win off the reigning All Ireland champions. 

Well, Armagh won, but in all honesty I remember very little about the game. The memory that lasts from this day was the two gentlemen from Armagh who were standing behind my dad and I on the terrace all decked out in their Orchard colours. They were in their 60s or 70s and from the moment they arrived you could feel a buzz about them, talking to each other openly and loudly - almost as if there was no one else there.

The Donegal players (including one Jim McGuinness) gave Armagh a guard of honour as they entered the field, and when they emerged the two men behind us lit up “HELLO!!! ITS THE ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS!! HEL-LO!”

Donegal started brightly, but towards the end of the second half Armagh were gaining more control. The lads referred to each player by their first name, as if they were their own sons…Diarmuid, Oisin, Kieran…and their excitement was intoxicating. 

Armaghs control of the game was secured just before half time with a goal from, who else, Oisin McConville. “HELLO!!!! HELLO OISIN!!! THE ALL IRELAND CHAMPIONS ARE HERE!”

It was arrogance, but not in a spiteful way. It was pride and joy and my dad and I couldn’t help but enjoy it. We talked more about the lads than the game in the car on the way home.

There are times even now when I’m watching sport and a team or a player suddenly shows up I shout “HELLO!” at the TV. 

That’s 21 years ago and I’d have to wonder if those gentlemen are still with us. Armagh are back in an All Ireland final and I hope the younger generations get to experience that joy and euphoria. 

Good luck to Armagh, and good luck to Galway. I hope it’s a cracker.

Galway seemed to have more up front yesterday, donegal loooked a bit one dimensional down the home straight.

What difference does a court case make to a players playing ability? As for Connolly on the pitch yes he crossed the line a few times. But he got more controlled as he got older, even playing in a "quarter back" position for Dublin at one stage. A very versatile player. The truth is being a top player they are invariably targeted by opponents.

Connolly is not one I would think of as a hot head, that would be more Marc Vaughan. Now that fella was a right head the ball. Not as good as he thought he was, either.

You would have thought Donegal would still be able to land some of them, work it in a bit nearer/play for the mark etc.

Anyway, I got my two semi-final predictions completely wrong - thought it would be Kerry v Donegal.

It seems that posters who said that Kerry were no great shakes, and Galway have the experience and know at this stage from been in big games over the last few years were proven correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Avon8

He has yet to do it?

What is it exactly about Cliffords senior career so far that people seem to be missing?

In the 2019 final replay as a 20 year old he scored 4 from play. The modern day record in a final is 5 from play (Joyce 01). In the 2021 semi he scored 6 from play in an absolutely collosal display. 22 semi v Dublin, 5 from play and man of the match, again collosal. Motm in the 22 final. 2023 semi, 5 from play again and motm.

These are literally the biggest games a footballer can play and at 25 he has more standout performances in them than just about anyone. How can you be "yet to do it" when you've won footballer of the year twice and have 5 all stars

We were waiting for this to happen with Clifford. People get bored by brilliance and after a while just want to tear it back down. He'll have his redemption arc now next year or the next and everyone will be back in love with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭threeball

Possibly but you could say the same about Galway in the first half, same issue, pressure on the kick and it was underhit. They got lucky with one but Tierney did well to distract the goalie. Without his intervention it's just another ball dropped short in the goalies hands. Same with Armagh the evening before. A 2 or 3 second piece of off the ball work that made the difference both days. Overall, I think the two teams that won the semis were marginally better on the day.

Advertisement