Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassination attempt on Donald Trump - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭highpitcheric

Crooks shooting position was like something youd expect from a corny 90s McGuyver episode.

A sniper shooting the president from an adjacent roof.

If you pitched that to a tv studio youd be told to rewrite it. Too simplistic. We're looking for a sense of realism.

Post edited by highpitcheric on

• Registered Users Posts: 86,357 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From Yahoo News

The FBI named him as Thomas Matthew Crooks around seven hours after the shooting.

They had earlier said they were using biometrics to identify the gunman.

Law enforcement said Crooks was 20 years old and from Bethel Park in Pennsylvania.

Bethel Park is a predominantly white, relatively well-to-do city in the southern part of greater Pittsburgh. The site of the rally, Butler, is about an hour's drive north of Pittsburgh.

Sky's US partner network NBC News found that Pennsylvania voter records listed a Thomas Matthew Crooks, with the same address and birth date, as a registered Republican, though it was not clear when the record was from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,249 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not a stereotypical "libtard", not a lefty. Obviously not female. And ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,709 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

fair. Though if he had been brave enough to hazard a shot, all other security in the area would have been alert to the shooter from the report of the rifle and he would have never got the chance to take the shot against Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Yes but does it not filter back to the right to bear arms?

There seems no point whatsoever in the use of the things apart from mass killings and healthy ammunition sales.

I assume the weapon is a bit short lived too, and would soon need replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Well, we can go into the details on another thread such as the mass shooting one, but yes, i generally agree that the thing is more "toy" than practical use. I'm just observing that comment on bump stocks in general on this thread is both inaccurate and inapplicable, being inappropriately used to make a point for effect, the effect being considered more important than accuracy or relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What on earth are you on about, typical of a certain demographic …a well constructed piece of gibberish

• Registered Users Posts: 36,042 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No such thing as a 200m perimeter for Secret Service, every location is different, especially with surrounding buildings, every building usually would have had a cop preventing access to roof, at the very least. Someone dropped the ball, local police to blame, if they left their posts and allowed a shooter a free passage to building and roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,869 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's mad that the shooter used a legally purchased gun that is so powerful it scares police away. When will they sort that?

I saw a random on tiktok point out that because there were 4 victims (the guy who died, Trump, and 2 other who are injured) this counts as a mass shooting. Another stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Joe 90

I'd have thought that any gun scares anyone with sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Latest from BBC on the gunman.

The latest detail to emerge is that he was a member of a local gun club in Jefferson Hills, Pennsylvania, roughly 50 miles (80km) from where the assassination attempt occurred.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hungrypringlesmanyum

Who is the lesser evil in all of this? Do people really believe one is a saint and one is a sinner ? All of trumps inexcusable behavior and Bidens impeccable life record bar his recent ailments. What level are we actually at as a world society?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

At the end of the day with all the off topic personal prejudices and bias out of the way, the conclusion is this

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1812589303698260374

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

But it's totally relevant. I referred to the things simply to illustrate the lunacy and how cheap life was to these gun nuts.

Because the shooter in this instance stuck to the more "normal" tool to kill, does not mean that it isn't all part of the same disease.

Here in Ireland or even in the UK I would find it shocking that someone took a gun to kill a politician or political candidate.

My only thoughts are with respect to the Trump shooting is "they're at it again" and it looks like they got off lightly this time.

Someone seemed to find it offensive that people found the situation funny. Well from a distance, I can assure you, it's bloody hilarious. It's all self inflicted and were One to take them seriously, it's a recipe to end up as cracked as the gun nuts.

If they get offended, fine, why not stop killing each other instead?

The Leftist media has made it very easy for everyone to believe everything negative about Trump, it's now very easy to believe lies that are claimed about him. Example, he was found guilty of rape, with zero evidence by a jury, no way anyone else would be convicted in a court of law with zero actually evidence, just a story, true or false, it still needed evidence, in a court, unless you're Trump, no evidence needed, guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭techdiver

What demographic is that? Historical facts as it pertains to current behavioural patterns of the MAGA simpletons and their ilk is not gibberish as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,709 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Possible motive for a registered republican assassin: turbocharging the base - as discussed on Alex Jones 5 months ago

Ivan Raiklin: “If they [assassinate Trump], option 2, behind Trump, is going to be so much better for us and so much worse them.”

Alex Jones: “I was about as to say, If they kill him, that’s best case scenario from a sick level. From a sick level medium, ‘Oh, please kill him.’ I mean, it’s so good after that.

Raiklin: “Oh, it’s going to be the best cleansing and the fastest cleansing that we’ve ever seen in my lifetime. I guaran—, I access, with almost certainty, with the highest level of confidence, that if they assassinate Trump, it is so game over for them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Actually, your comment precisely demonstrates his point. The "certain type of demographic" can be summed up with the following list of the characteristics of the typical trump supporter:

1. Anti-abortion.

2. Anti-immigration

3. Educated to second level only

4. Consumes a very narrow media section that echo's their own personal beliefs. ( Fox, Sky News Australia, Ben Shapiro etc)

5. Church-going. Regular enough to be deemed religious and/or an evangelical

6. Coming from a rural background. Farming, Hunting. Fierce protectors of gun ownership.

7. White ( Caucasian)

8. Most likely to have served in the armed forces.

9. Rarely, if ever, travelled outside the States and, if so, via the Armed Forces.

10. Alpha-Male types, with a 1950's American attitude to gender equality, family matters.

11. Portrays a heterosexual disposition and, if gay, definitely hides it.

12. Malleable. Easily manipulated and influenced. Repeats other people's opinions, but rarely their own.

You know. That demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LetticebCivil

You can not even see how brainwashed you are. It is frightening. If some Qanon lunatic came out with that you would rightly rip them to shreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Babyreignbow

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

This US type left v right language has crept into European politics in recent times and has sadly made it onto our shores. It’s absolutely pathetic and I cringe every time I hear or read someone over here use it to define themselves or other people, especially people they don’t even know. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Do witness statements not count as evidence to you?

Rape cases can boil down to consent and generally it's a he said, she said kinda thing.

Plenty of people worldwide have been convicted based solely on witness testimony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,663 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

You know what your dealing with on here.

Also he is wrong registering as Republican is popular by the lefties to vote against Trump Pennsylvania is a closed primary state be likely did it to vote against Trump

Her story was the exact same as a 2012 “Law and Order” episode,

In 2012 — seven years before E. Jean Carroll publicly
    accused Donald Trump of raping her — "Law & Order: SVU" aired an
    episode featuring a rape in a Bergdorf Goodman dressing room, while a
    victim was trying on lingerie.

She claimed after the episode aired, that Trump raped her in the dressing room of Bergdorf Goodman's store while trying on lingerie .

In Ireland, UK, rape cases are 75% or more dismissed, as it's a court, and you need hard evidence to send someone down, unless you're Trump, a TV Episode is good enough .😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,594 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Much of this stuff has come from the US right (Steve Bannon etc). They have a deliberate policy of trying to create global culture wars…..it hasn't 'accidentally' spread to Europe, far from it. There are suggestions that various think tanks, lobby groups and even some non-mainstream media outlets in Europe are funded by shady billionaire types in the US pursuing an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wow people were watching him crawl onto the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭thereiver

The us supreme court heard a case recently they voted to make bump sticks legal eg this mechanism means it's easier to fire a rifle quickly this means potential assassin'or a mass shooter can potentially kill more people in a short time

Theres a mass shooting in America at least a few times every year

It seems there's a gap or delay in police talking to to the secret service in the event of a potential threat to the target which could be trump or Biden

Every location is different but it's common sense every building overlooking the venue has to be guarded at least within the range of a sniper rifle and this is up to the local police and the secret service to do a survey of the area around the venue long before the rally starts

The supreme court is mostly staffed by conservative judges who have no wish to support more laws to increase gun control so the only option is to increase security around certain political events to protect politicians from assassins

There could be use for a drone to watch over the perimeter in the case of high profile political events

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

take it with a pinch of salt…

It’s being reported that the officer who took the shooter out has been fired. Officer Johnathon Williams has allegedly said he had the shooter in his scope for three minutes. He was not given permission to shoot by SS person in charge. He only fired after the shooter fired. Taken into custody immediately by the FBI and fired this morning for not following orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

And yet more witness statements confirmed she told friends about what happened before 2012. But they are just witnesses, no hard evidence so you will dismiss it. Your argument has already been debunked.

No point bringing up a 75% figure unless you can show the 25% had physical evidence and the 75% was zero evidence (aka witness testimony you ignore)

This is all off topic anyway, Trump was found by a jury to have raped a woman…. you dismiss it. It's as ludicrous as me dismissing the suspect tried to kill Trump…. I mean there's plenty of evidence he did…. but no jury will ever convict him if he's given a fair trial.

• Advertisement
Advertisement