Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2024 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JVince

Last June was no more than just ok. The good weather was mid may to early June.

It changed about 6th/7th and hasn't recovered since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Delighted Spain won the euros 2024 , at least the weather there stayed dry by the looks of it , what a anxiety inducing game , back here in carrick we had a few heavy showers but still mild out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was at Croke park...blue skies and lovely sun. Nice evening here now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Feeling humid in the house tonight. Been a long time since that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TheStonecutter

It hit 28 degrees last June on the 13th. It was good until about the 20th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yeah summer went down the tubes final 10 days of June last year and never recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sitting here on Balcony in Lanzarote 22 degrees with a lovely cooler breeze.

Nearly two hours later the Spanish are still celebrating with all the car horns still beeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Kutebride

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Bring the sun back with you, this depressing weather is nearly sending me over the edge , I'm gonna go away but I don't have anyone to go with , and I'm so glad for Spain it will be pretty much more celebrating for about a week I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Grey slate and threatening rain. Hopefully the lovely sunny weather Dublin had all weekend continues today for my visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not a bad start to the day in Dublin..some hazy sunshine breaking through...pretty warm as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Dire morning in Cork, grey skies and relentless rain. Horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ottolwinner

not bad in Galway. It has potential to be ok.
    warm when the sun pops out from behind the clouds. Little wind makes it pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Timistry

Washout in Cork. Left a few bits from the buggy out last night to dry….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

You are right. June 2023 was absolutely lovely, almost throughout. Warmest June on record.

Athenry, Co Galway and Shannon Airport, Co Clare experienced 27 consecutive days with maximum air temperatures > 20.0 °C, ending on Saturday 24 June.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Muggy cloudy morning 14c, not helping a bout of Covid i have, banging headache, me bananas went all brown, dog is wrecking my head and no milk

Life's good. N Kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Motorbike camping in curracloe area of wexford over the w/e. Lovely morning to wake up pack up the tent and go for a swim in the sea. Plan was to take our time via the scenic routes back to dublin over the wicklow mountains. All going well and then caught a small cell of the heaviest rain I may have ever seen in my life with localised flash-flooding around the woodenbridge/rathdrum area. This was yesterday, Sunday 14th July about 3pm maybe. It got so dark and looked like it was possibly tornadic at one point. Wonder if anyone else saw that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunny Swithins Day in Sligo and headed for 20c today.

Summer is here for the next 40 days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Better than expected here in Castlebar, sunny spells breaking through and feeling warm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Thanks. Great game with 2 very even teams. Could have gone either way. I felt the Galway and Donegal fans got on very well throughout.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm in Spain too and what a wonderful night last night cheering on Spain in an open air venue on a typical sultry Mediterranean night. Real summer heat, a Spanish victory, fireworks and fiesta! Now that's what I call living and the celebrations went on long into the night here.😀

Am savoring every second of the warmth and sunshine as unfortunately I've only a few days left.😔

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dire day in Cork. Slate grey skies again and damp. What a horrendous "summer".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The good news, the summer is about to turn warmer, closer to average maybe a degree or so above. The bad news is we trade the cooler conditions for wetter conditions so more in the way of rainfall for all of us for the second half of July, so the warmer temperatures won't mean much when combined with areas of low pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Another OK day in Dublin/Kildare. Dull, dry, 16C. Non-descript really, not a lovely day but not a bad day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Maybe I need my eyes checked but it’s dull grey in south Dublin and it’s kinda been this way for a good few days- we got some light rain yesterday evening also.
    It’s not exactly warm either- I’m in shorts though- as it’s July and I should be in shorts 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Robwindstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

It was the warmest June on record with above average sunshine everywhere.

There was also below average rainfall in most places.

If you thought last June was only just OK then you must have an extremely high and unrealistic expectation of what an Irish summer can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Ireland is a weird country in that the warmest temperatures don’t seem to occur until 3-5pm, rather than the 12-2pm peak like everywhere else in the world. So you usually find yourself waiting around all day as the mornings are cold and wet, and the rain clears off around 4pm and the sun finally comes out but then sure the whole day is gone. That’s why this nonsense those media outlets like to sprout about “Ireland being hotter than Barcelona this weekend” are a load of bullshit. We have nowhere near the same daily temperature and sunshine levels as anywhere south of us in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gilly1910

OMG what a gorgeous sky that is, a week or two of that would do very nicely indeed 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭compsys

It's only the equator where max temps are close to midday.

In the vast majority of countries the daily peak is reached at around 3 or 4pm. Ireland isn't weird or unusual in this regard. And indeed in Spain, where you could argue they're on the wrong timezone, max temps can be closer to 5pm some days.

Advertisement