Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior minister refused communion - ‘excommunicated’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The church stands behinds it's values, and somehow gets made out to be the bad guy here?

This TD wants to be pro abortion but has an issue with the church defending its stance against abortion?

It's just a pity the church won't call out the numerous parents who march their kids into communion/confirmation ceremonies, but have sex before marriage/use contraception/support gay rights/support abortion and all the other things the church opposes.

The hypocrisy in this country when it comes to the catholic church is sickening, all in the name of a day out, some photos and a few pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Babyreignbow

To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭Tork

If Catholic priests practised their religion to the letter of the law, mass attendance would crater. Not that the faithful are beating down the doors as it is. Why draw the line at people who voted for abortion rights? They might as well ban the people who use contraception, the ones who have sex before marriage, the ones who live in sin, the ones who had abortions, gay and lesbians, divorced people who've remarried… The question is, who would be left and who would pay for the upkeep of their churches?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's good to know there's a new official way to get excommunicated. Ever since the changes to cannon law in 2009 and the count me out site shutting down there's been no way to officially remove yourself from the churches register.

In reality though the priest has no right to excommunicate anyone as that's an action that can only be taken by someone far higher up the food chain and for very specific reasons of which voting to support abortion is absolutely not one of them for obvious reasons. The priest is an idiot and a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

This actually appears to be an individual priest rather than church sanctioned. The church are free to go after all the people who support the above but they'll lose 80% of their membership...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

If they knew that doing so was against the teaching of the church, and still went ahead with it, yes.
    A womans right to choose what exactly? Killing a defenceless human being? Abhorrent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I don’t see the issue here.

The TD promoted and supported abortion laws, totally against the teachings of the Catholic Church.

Why is he “crying in the chapel” now that he’s been told of the consequences??

Strong whiff of wanting to have his cake and eat it from the TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

A lot of the religious pro-lifers in my hometown are heavily involved with St Vincent De Paul, Lions Club etc. Always doing stuff for charity. I don't agree with their views but they certainly do their bit.

Same in my town. Amazing people.

The best of Irish society.

By that I mean the amount of work they do behind the scenes for the poorest and vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭blackbox

Are they going to excommunicate everyone who ever used contraception or who voted for its legalisation?

Problem is that in church law abortion itself is the ex communicable offense, not voting for it, you might want to argue anyone who voted for it actually has assisted in abortions but doing that will mean requiring the immediate excommunication of 1,428,981 people or rather everyone of those who was catholic. Secondly a parish priest cannot excommunicate anybody. This whole thing is grand standing nonsense by the narcissistic priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭csirl

One of the comsequences of the decline in the catholic church is that those who are still heavily involved are the hard core, almost fundametalist types, rather than the more progressive type.

Did he go to the papers or the media?
    CB is doing the grandstanding.

Automatic excommunication for abortion (CIC 1398) applies not only to the woman who has the abortion, but to “all those who commit this crime with knowledge of the penalty attached, and [this] includes those accomplices without whose help the crime would not have been committed” (Evangelium Vitae 62).
    I think pushing for the referendum counts in this case.

K, then a fair proportion of the electorate are excommunicated. That's the logic.

I have no issue with it tbh. More than anything, it will just backfire on the church which is amusing tbh.

a lot of these TDs are pushing for significant social change YET seem shocked when they face consequences whether it be by the ballot box OR the local priest denouncing from the altar.

Good for you, that you find it amusing.
    So do I - and both of us from different persepctives.

Great so everyone who voted for it if catholic should be excommunicated, personally im delighted as the count me out loophole had been closed before id heard about it, if I knew voting for abortion could get me of the cults list of members id have voted for it twice as hard and bolded my tick. Also like I previously said a parish priest cant do this anyway. It needs to go to the Bishop of the diocese or if hes to busy i guess you could try the Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,030 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Does he have to hand back his communion money?

Cool, do you also support excommunication of all the Catholics who voted to repeal? We gonna excommunicate all those who supported same sex marriage as well? 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 9,218 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The criminal Roman organisation has been an embarrassment for a long time now.

After the terrible indemnity deal that FF did in 2002 with the RCC over clerical child abuse/murder, they should know when to shut their mouths.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Unfortunately thats not an ex communicable offense, handy list is here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excommunication_in_the_Catholic_Church#Latae_sententiae

Personally im interested in desecration of the eucharist as the easiest one as they dont seem to care too much about the first one on the list, ive been an apostate for more than half my life but still no excommunication…..

I don’t “support” excommunication of anyone but abortion/supporting abortion is clearly against basic Catholic teaching.

The TD seems to want it both ways.

He should do a stint with one of the charities and educate himself as to what abortion actually involves.

Knock yourself out!
    I'll help you pack and drive ya to the airport.

Why do i need to go to the airport? You are the one pushing for ex communications, im just explaining how they work and why its ridiculous for the priest to be saying hes excommunicated yer man, because he hasn't and why people saying he and a few million others should also be are absurd.

Its the usual irony of the theists not understanding how their own religions rules work and the anti-theists having to explain it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Shoog

Mostly taking two pills. A bit like a headache really.

The fact that you call it a criminal organisation, does not make it so.
    If you think it is, then put that to the state authorities and see how far that goes.

The church not only has a right, but an obligation to speak on matters of morality.
    When it came to the abuse cases, it fell far short of that.
    However, it does not negate the fact that it has the obligation to speak out.
    Don't want to hear what they have to say? Don't listen. No compulsion on you to listen if you aren't a believer, nor adherent to the faith.

• Advertisement

The priest never said he excommunicated anyone.
    Show me the quote where it said he did …

The usual irony of suggesting others don't understand, when you can't make a statement based on fact.

Advertisement