Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭BandMember

I think that team had reached the end of their life cycle and a rebuild had to be done, but to lose him over not being able to choose his own selectors (no matter how different times were, that will always seem to be incredibly stupid) was yet another reason why the County Board and Mayo football is one of the biggest obstacles in our quest for Sam. We're our own worst enemies at times. It was 5 years wasted and a lot of "what ifs" asked. Johnno was a smart operator though and never took a job where there wasn't the playing talent to make it a success. Fair play to him, he achieved a lot and deserves respect for doing so. It's just another one of those "what ifs" had he been left to finish the job in Mayo the first time around……

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Westernview

I agree the 89 team was at the end of it's cycle. The actual peak years for that team were probably 86-87 when they didn't build on 1985.

He had actually started the rebuild in 91 though. Brought in players like Peter Butler, Colm Mac, Ray Dempsey, Tony Morley (who seemed to go downhill after Johnno left), Paul McStay, Kevin Staunton. He even managed to convince Tomas Tierney to come on board to effectively fill the problematic centre back slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

Great 90 minute interview with Aidan O Shea

Reinforced all my perceptions (positive ) of him and some of the negatives of supporters within our county

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

There's absolute headers supporting every county but a hard line has to be drawn at contacting relations or delivering hate mail. That's beyond mental. I know in our own county Joe Canning and a couple of the hurlers experienced similar but they actually found out who it was in the end.

O'Shea came across very well though. He's a lot more articulate than I'd have imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,234 ✭✭✭✭km79

Spot on about Joe Canning. I couldn’t believe the abuse he used to get in some areas of Galway when the intercounty team lost. It was personal stuff . Very parochial mindset ! One of the greatest ever but it was like they were hoping he would fails so they could say “I told you so”.

Weird

It’s not as bad towards OShea and has definitely softened this year but there was an element of jealousy about it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have always thought O'Shea was unfairly maligned tbh.

It's such a flaw of the GAA that they don't make more of these big personalities like O'Shea, Canning or even Clifford today. Like they could be turned into ambassadors but instead its made into some bad thing to have a personality outside of the game. People act like being a figurehead is bad instead of using it to the advantage of the publicity of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The GAA doesn't want people with personalities outside the game because they can't exploit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i cant see o shea in the same bracket as canning or the likes of clifford , i thought he was excellent in his early days in mid field , but colm bolyle , lee keegan , jason doherty and keith higgins,were all incredible players that had far greater impact within the team but never properly recognised

i keep thinking to a qualifier in ennis in 2017 or 18 , every mayo supporter i met that day were obsessed with the lack of fouls he was getting and the abuse he was getting , while at the same time colm boyle was probably the best player in the country and kevin mclaughlin was running the show, mayo over looked some amount of great footballers just to praise the likes of aidan o'shea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭spakman

Boyler was never under-rated in Mayo, he was everyones favourite player!

Doherty and to a lesser extent McLoughlin were possibly under-rated alright

Players do get an opportunity to be ambassadors. We see players attend various sponsored events and give interviews. It's just that managers wnat it done away from big games. For amateur teams especially it can be a big distraction if a players are doing this the week of a game. Aidan has done media stuff in the run up to all Irelands and it looked like he did it outside the team set up.

"The last think you want is a 2 page spread in the paper and then the **** kicked out of you on sunday' John O'Mahony.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about as a player. I'm talking about the GAA making more of their personalities off the field. O'Shea is very popular with kids, he generates conversation and instead of GAA people taking advantage of it, it's treated as some terrible thing to even have a personality outside of the game. D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

(On Aido) Has he? None spring to mind here.

He's had a number of stories released the week of All Ireland Finals (notably a photoshoot in swim gear that got a shocking amount of attention & abuse) but that was taken months earlier. They just hold off release of stuff like that to maximise the reach of the story.

If you listen to his interview this week, he says he never does anything outside of the permission of the set up and always runs things by the team. He also criticised the notion that players should be unavailable in the run up to games and they discussed the fact that very few other sports have such a terrible relationship with the media as GAA does - this allergic reaction people have to players even doing an interview ffs. There are two semifinals this weekend for example, and hardly a word spoken about either of them all week. Barely any build up or excitement. It's bad for the promotion of the games to have players and managers unavailable, rejection of media etc. And not only that, if a player does make themselves available, they get criticised by other GAA people. Aidan had people criticising him for even talking to some kids who wanted his attention because it's a "distraction". Completely ridiculous stuff.

He did lengthy interviews with Newstalk during the week before the 2012 and 2013 finals. Even if the photoshoots are done in advance they have to be a distraction when they come out for the player in question. No one else seems to be doing them.

The permission from the set up must be a very new thing because after the 21 final Horan was asked about "players' releasing promotional stuff the week before the game he replied diplomatically 'it's not ideal'.

As I said I'm not against this stuff at other times but I'm sticking with Horan and and O'Mahoney. Can you imagine Jim McGuinness allowing it either?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Galway deserving winners today.

Once again, instead of playing a dangerous game of keep-ball with a 1 point advantage, galway went up the pitch and got themselves a 2 point cushion with 3 minutes to go to see out the game comfortably.

That's why they are well ahead of us.

Also an ability to kick long range scores from a variety of sources is a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

mayo should feel sick looking at how this year is playing out, even if they had their big chance a few years ago and blew it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Why? We played Galway earlier in the championship and were close but not good enough to beat them. At the moment, we're just not good enough to win the AI. No reason to be sick though, only 1 County will win it and the rest are in the same boat as us to varying degrees

of course we were good enough to beat them!

A combination of poor refereeing and over-conservatism is why we lost. we turned down scoring opportunities which would/should have seen us win relatively comfortably.

Our inability to close out a game cost us against Galway, Dublin and Derry.

We were good enough to win all those games, and with the right approach, we'd be good enough to win the All-Ireland this year. Galway and Armagh!? Does anyone think we couldn't beat them!??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭MacDanger

You can't just say we're good enough and at the same time reference our conservatism and our inability to close out games - I agree that those are 2 of our weaknesses but those things are part of us not being good enough.

Galway have also improved massively since the Connacht final, if you were to pick a combined team, we'd be doing well to have 5 on it

• Advertisement

I disagree, I think there's a difference between the players being good enough, and the coaching,/game plan being good enough.

see donegal where they were last year to where they are this year. Still not the finished article, but mcguinness made a massive difference in a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

You think kevin should get another season to correct these glaring issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sorry got my wires crossed

yes any interview he dose he comes across very well , a really sound guy by the sounds of it , he is entitled to whatever he gets on the side , , the people complaining about it are the ones that were at home during the winter watching the champions league or coronation st, while the rain was banging against the front window of the house

it was the likes of aidan that was out in that rain training, so if he's not entitled to something now forget about it

Will be hard to watch Galway in the final but there's no evidence we are as good as them as some are saying. Average midfield, lack of long range scorers, unable to close out 3 games, no left footed freetaker and insufficiently strong bench, are all reasons we aren't good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

A Galway victory would be a massive embarrassment for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

You can add a very average management team, lack of quality forwards, aging players to that as well. It is unbelievable that after what was witnessed over the last few years, people would cop the hell on. Disillusion stuff tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It is exactly the complete opposite and is exactly what Mayo need!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

we'd be good enough to win the All-Ireland this year. Galway and Armagh!? Does anyone think we couldn't beat them!??

In an All Ireland final?

I'd say we couldn't beat them.

We've never stepped up in an All Ireland final and beaten a team we should beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

so true..

Galway never looked like winning the 22 final either…….think its a west of Ireland mentality.

Advertisement