Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options
1263264265266267269»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭muddle84

I do think Kerry were the better team on that day to be fair. But there was a hesitancy in the first half from Kerry, It felt like they were afraid to lose it. I think this year its 50/50 for the final and I think this Galway team is much improved from 2022.

Regardless of what people think if we are good enough or not. There is a small gap between us and the top teams, but a gap nonetheless! This year, we were not good enough to win Connacht or get to a quarter final. That's the facts, the teams that we're supposedly better than were good enough to do exactly that and get to a final.

I don't see next year panning out any differently either unless we can figure out how to get Tommy Conroy scoring again, or find another two Ryan's. We don't have enough players that can score.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭flasher0030

From what I have seen in the development of other teams as the season unfolded, I think that gap is bigger than you think. I think Dublin, Kerry, Galway, Armagh, Donegal are well ahead of Mayo. Mayo may be able to beat them the odd time and keep the illusion going that we are close to the top table. But I reckon when it comes to the business end of the Championship, that all those teams will beat Mayo 9 out of 10 times.

I'd have Mayo alongside the likes of Roscommon, Cork, Tyrone, Derry etc. Mayo lack leaders and players with determination that the bigger teams have. The likes of Rian O'Neill, Stefan Campbell, Ciaran Kilkenny, Fenton, McCarthy, Paul Conroy, Sean Kelly, Paudi Clifford, Diarmuid O'Connor (Kerry). Those guys will grasp a game by the neck, and die with their boots on to get their team over the line. Paddy Durkin is our man I guess, but he is always out injured. We used to have those personalities in the likes of Keegan, Boyle, Higgins, Barrett, Andy Moran. And that is a lot of the reason that led to the great decade or so we had from 2012 onwards. But we don't have that right now. Hopefully players will grow in to that type of role e.g. Sam Callinan

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Compo82

I don't think Galway or Armagh are far ahead of Mayo at all and I would give us a great chance against them if the game was tomorrow. Dublin and Kerry seem to have come back into the Mayo got rode in Galway game by Gough in the last ten minutes, admittedly he had given some questionable decisions to Mayo earlier in the game. Mayo beat Galway last year in the preliminary quarter and in the league final. Maybe Mayo just lacking a bit of killer instinct, should have seen out the game against Galway when they were up by 2 with 71 mins gone and also same with Dublin and Derry.

If Galway do win it, it will be a sickener for Mayo. Same happened in 1998 after Mayo lost 96 and 97. Galway always seem to come up and win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭flyer_query

Jesus lads will ye let this thread go quiet for the next few weeks. Its embarrassing at this stage continuously seeing it at the top of the GAA forum, we were knocked out weeks ago.

As a Mayo man living in Galway its sickening enough having to put up with it without logging on here and seeing the Mayo chat thread being bumped with talk of how we should be in the final or how we can beat anyone on any given day or how we were rode by X ref or how Galway got an easy route to the final etc.

• Advertisement

What's embarrassing about Mayo Football Fans talking about Mayo Football?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

You can't talk about it seems once you get knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Be-Jaysus

Some of our fans are like an alcoholic who doesn't go to therapy to acknowledge his flaws.

Shove it under the carpet, then rock up next season like everything's grand, then bang , the same old problem rears it's ugly head again.

Rinse,Wash,Repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We all know what the problems are. A lack of scoring forwards. Changing the management team is not going to fix that.

Thats ground up changes that are needed and changes to alot of management style at club level away from the ultra defensive muck they are serving up at club level.

Last year club final was absolute ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭BandMember

At the moment, it looks like the forwards are being instructed not to take on any shot that isn't a tap over. Just look at the conservative attacking play under the current regime vs the Horan era(s). I bet you'll find that we scored more, even under Horan Mk II, as well. The attacking structure/system is being used as a stick to beat the current management and rightly so. It's ROD (and mainly his frees) that is keeping us active on the scoreboard and I think everyone agrees that if anything happens to him that we're screwed completely. If we're ever going to win a final and beat the guns, we'll need to score goals. Apart from an odd moment of luck, we never look like scoring goals and you can't see that happening under the way McStay has them playing up until now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement