Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CircleK Chargers

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Unlikely that somebody would use a fast charger as their main source of car fuel until prices stabilise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Swung by Clonsaugh earlier to see if there's any progress, still looking the same as Andy's photo a few days ago so didn't bother taking an updated pic

I wonder how long it'll take, Circle K seem to wait for the grid to be ready before putting in their chargers.

That's almost the opposite of Applegreen who seem happy to setup the chargers before grid upgrades are done at times

I'm sure there's advantages to either approach, I'm just happy to see more chargers getting installed

In other news, I spotted a couple of lads trying to plug in an EV6 to the Ecars charger while on the phone. Maybe they were just checking their horoscope, but I'm willing to bet it was a call to support asking why the charger wasn't starting

Hopefully they got sorted, but I feel like it's another case of Ecars unreliability strikes again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Seeing reports of the chargers in Dungarvan now potentially being live. Anybody confirm this? Could dig me out of a hole this weekend if they are

Also a friendly request to please take the "CCS only" side if free and that's the correct connector for your car. Pulled in to Fermoy last week and 2 CCS cars charging on the "Dual" side so had to wait for one of them to finish before I could plug in

• Registered Users Posts: 21,976 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think some signage to that effect at the charger would go a long way too. A lot of new EV owners arent aware of the CCS/Chad intricacies

True, but depending on where your cars chargeport is you might naturally pull in to the "dual" space. VW for example predominantly seem to have the chargeport on the rear drivers side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

They are live at the kilrush roundabout station. I saw a danish plate bmw EV charging there last weekend while I was enjoying my 99.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭MarkN

What if they don’t have the option of charging at home? Fairly naive statement to be fair.

They would probably try to use ecars AC charging as much as possible as it enables them to charge to 100% while they sleep and can be as low as 51c vs 68c on Circle K DC (25% lower)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We don't have anywhere near enough on street AC chargers to make that make sense, it's much easier to drive to a charger and plug in for 30 mins than it is to add a 20-minute walk evening and night to find a local AC charger.

That style of charging works where it's provided as a municipal service and needs to be within about 500m of someone's home.

We have far more of it than we have DC charging and it's much less busy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think we do when you look at occupancy time, there aren't many ac chargers dotted around to support more than a couple of cars in the local neighbourhood. What would be you own limit on how far you'd walk to charge your car?

Just noticed that 3 Circle K chargers appeared in Dublin Port. They'll be handy for people driving to and from the ferry

I wonder will they keep the two Ecars chargers as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Could do with a couple down at Rosslare ferry port too. Only 50kW units around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭CivilEx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I suspect when they pulled in there was another car on the other port.

It also happens if you pull in and there's car on the 50kw, and you have to use the 150kw side even through your car can't take 150kw. They they leave.

Doesn't look like it based on Plugshare

Couldn't really tell as I passed, they didn't have fencing around them but there weren't any cars charging

I'll see if I can check on them next time I'm in the area

If you re-read my message you will see the words "if free." The reason being that the box is split, one side has 2 plugs and one has one. If the CCS that's slightly nearer the chademo is being used that means the chademo can't be used. In this case if the dual side is being used by a CCS car and a leaf pulls in they won't be able to get a charge until the other car finishes charging

I'm also fairly sure both CCS plugs are capable of 150kW when 2 CCS cars are plugged in but somebody else might confirm that one?

Suggestion as well. Should the space in front of the petrol/diesel pumps at Circe K locations become the queuing lanes for EV's looking to charge? I'm sure nobody would mind, certainly nobody minds when charge spaces are used as parking spaces by ICE cars

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Was at Ionity Athlone yesterday and had no problems charging.

I notice an "out of order" sign on the Circle k charger on the way into the car park, anyone know how long it's been that way as it looks relatively new?

Depends on the layout. The one I've used is a 150 shared between parking spot A and B and 50 shared between B and C.

In which case spot C can't use 150. Someone who can't use 150 might be in spot B.

Daft layout but they don't seem well thought out.

Really needs a petrol pump layout, not a parking spot layout if there's going to be queuing. Or more chargers.

Which one has that setup? I've only used the Fermoy and Dungarvan ones and only ever noticed 300kW written on the charger, assuming 150kW per side. Although I admit I only used each of them once so one of the chargers may have been 50kW

I've seen the layout you mention at ESB chargers in the past and I agree it is daft

I'd rather just have enough chargers than requiring a pull-through solution. Pull-through solutions would need one queue split between all chargers to work

• Advertisement

Blanchardstown beside tgi Friday. Maybe it's an older layout.

Currently there is no way to queue. Conflicts seems guaranteed. Its compounded by non standard charging port location on EVs.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Applegreen & Circle K are installing fast chargers in and around Wexford town which you have to pass if going north or west from the port (a mere 15km from Rosslare).

... and you can charge on some ferries if you book it.

But you'd think a port would have some better options.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 flyer_query

Dont trust a ferry, we did the above and the charger was plugged in and working away when I checked as we walked up the stairs to the deck area, as we approached cherbourg and I connected to the car I was gutted to see that we had an error and something went wrong and only 5% had gone into it. Not sure if we were the only ones impacted. Got off the ferry with 21% charge and a 5 hour drive ahead. Wife and kids were not happy. Our plan this year is to charge before we get on the ferry.

Good tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

There isn't much space once you go through customs/passport control but yeah I agree the port should have a hub nevermind one or two chargers.

It'd be a great money spinner if they had chargers in the area where you wait in lanes to board. A lot of the time people are hanging around there for an hour or so…would be an ideal time to top the battery up.

Anyway I'm going off topic....circle k are in the process of putting in fast chargers in Wexford town so not the end of the world unless you arrive at Rosslare with less than 15km range left.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The Ionity in Gorey is about 70km short of the port, so even if you won't be full up when embarking, at least you'd have a good enough charge. But chargers in the port would be best.

SE as tourist hub/gateway you'd think it would be better served.

So I believe there's an issue with the voltage on the ferry chargers, it's on the low end of mains voltage. Someone mentioned it previously

This can cause some cars to freak out and stop charging, I think Tesla's are particularly sensitive to that issue (maybe someone who owns one can confirm)

In any case, I agree the ferry chargers should be viewed as bonus charging, not guaranteed. There's open superchargers near Cherbourg and Roscoff, so at least heading into France you won't be stuck. Although I'd certainly be frustrated to start my journey with a 20 mins charging stop

• Advertisement

Since when has common sense been common 😉

Pretty sure Dublin Port is the only port with multiple DC chargers onsite, and I'm only counting the 2 Ecars units until the Circle K ones are open

Cork and Rosslare both have chargers nearby, but not on-site, and no high powered hubs close at hand

It's hardly a show stopper, but it's slightly frustrating to have to plan ahead. For some comparison, I'm over in Wales at the moment. Needed to charge up the car so just hit the satnav, found an Instavolt 160kW site within 5 mins and went there and charged.

No hassle finding chargers, no apps needed, just rock up and pay, the way it needs to be

Advertisement