Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals you may not know

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Woohoo! Got my Green Man ticket today. Absolutely buzzing for this now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,949 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Heading to 2000 Trees next month.. not been before but looks quite well setup and has won a few awards since it's inception.

Anyone been?

Day splits for Green Man. Doesn't that look lovely? Apart from the Osees/ Big Thief clash, which is a kick in the nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

I made it along to Arcadian Nights last weekend.

The bands were playing in a marquee, set-up for the summer, behind the pub the festival is based in. The pub owner also owns the field across the road which is where the campsite was.

Considering that there were over 120 people on stage across the weekend numbers in the crowd were quite small. I'd say very few tickets were sold.

I had a good weekend but it made me appreciate the variety at other festivals. There were no bands that I'd say were bad but a lot of them sound very alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Wizer

Anyone know if Longtitude is a cashless event ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Never knew this thread existed ! Chances are none of ye know this festival exists either, and it's not really in the same vein as the others mentioned above … but it's a damn good festival all the same, and dirt cheap if you can get to it:

It takes place in the centre of France, in the grounds of a non-descript château close to the town of La Châtre. It'd fall under the heading "world music" but that's only part of it. The day event includes a huge instrument-makers' fair where you can try-before-you-buy (or not buy) all kinds of acoustic instruments ; then listen to them played properly under every tree in the park.

Unless you know the groups on the main stage, I recommend first-timers to stick with the day pass (8€) which gives access to everything except the main-stage concerts - so about twenty acts in total, per day (till 4am); entry to the campsite/field is an extra 5€ pp (flat rate, regardless of whether you stay 1 night or 6)

It is! Full disclosure: as it's just up the road from me, I do have a certain involvement in it.

It's very much a musician's festival as much as a music festival. If you turn up with raw talent, everything else you need is there - a huge range of (acoustic) instruments to try and to buy, hundreds of other musicians to jam with, an "open mic" stage if you think you're good enough, an enthusiastic public that'll tell you whether you're good enough - or not! - and the chance to get invited back as one of the featured acts in subsequent years.

Although this video was recorded at a different festival, the vibe is the same, and the group itself was born during a previous edition of the festival (and were back as one of the headline acts last year):

This was a superb festival..

Just some of the bands above (full line-up here).

Met some lovely very genuine people, great food options, had VIP access which wasn't much more than general and had access to own VIP bar and viewing platform etc.

Heard so much great music - including Dublin's own Meryl Streek, Spanish Loves Songs, Grandson, Hot Milk, The Gaslight Anthem, Manchester Orchestra, Frank Turner (3 times over 1 day! 😀), Turnover, Don Broco etc.

Capacity of 15000 people, no hassle, security having to deal with some proper moshing at time were absolutely sound-out, blessed with weather, very clean throughout (loads of toilets etc).

Gonna wait for a few band announcements first but like to go next year. The only thing stopping me would be a Glasto ticket - as Glastonbury, this and ATN in a month would be a tough ask!

EDIT: Oh, Meryl Streek is fantastic if you've never heard him.. go for it..

• Advertisement

Sounds great, Basq. Cheltenham is it? How did you travel?

Got a late flight out of Dublin on Wednesday evening to Bristol, stayed in Ibis Bristol-Temple-Meads on Wednesday night, train from Bristol to Cheltenham Spa on Thursday at 11am. They've shuttle buses running from Cheltenham Spa on-site every 15 minutes.. always one there basically.

Ended up coming back via Birmingham airport (worst.. airport.. EVER!) to Knock yesterday afternoon. Was a long day of travelling.

Slowly recovering!

If I was going again, I think I'd stay in Bristol the night after the festival too - just to break up travelling with a shower, good sleep and meal.

In saying that, missus booked a Vintents for us on-site which was pre-erected tent, memory foam mattress, pillows, duvet etc. So I did sleep remarkably well.. for a festival anyways.

Good stuff. It's the logistics sometimes that can make or break an international festival experience for you, I think. Looking forward to seeing how things work out for Green Man. Will defo keep an eye on 2000 trees for 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Paddez

We went to this festival aswell, but rather than fly over - we decided to be a bit adventurous and drive over.
    It's a 4 day festival, but the first day is optional - so we bought a 3 day ticket.

08:00 Boat to Holyhead - then drove down to Cheltenham (about a 4 hour drive w/ stops). Stayed in Cheltenham for one night, and arrived to the festival the morning of the Thursday.

Coming back was basically the same, except we left the festival on Saturday night, and drove back Sunday morning - allowed us to skip the post-festival traffic (which was consideable) and caught the 16:25 Dublin Swift, leaving us back to Dublin at 19:00.

Long drives, but it was enjoyable.

Cheers Paddez. I love the idea of taking the car but you need to have a bit of time either side, don't you? Nice to be able to take your time. Appreciate the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Paddez

We definitely did consider both the Wednesday & Sunday as travel days, but as we arrived into Cheltenham around 15:30 - 16:00, we theoretically could've rolled into the Festival there and then for the Wednesday billings - it'd just be a very long day.

We decided that seeing as we'd probably be a bit exhausted anyway, that we'd stay in an actual hotel Wednesday night, and focus our energy on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
    Likewise for Saturday night, we booked a travel-lodge to ensure we ended up with a decent night's rest before the trip back.

Green Man is 4 days, I'm pushing it already taking 4 days away from the real world so I'm making every minute count! Red eye Thursday morning, with a bit of luck, on site ready to rock by midday. Bus out 9 on Monday morning. Luckily not in work till the Wednesday. I'm solo this time so I have the luxury of setting my own schedule so I'm cramming in everything I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

This starts tomorrow, I'm just passing through so moving on. Looks good

There was an error displaying this embed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

By all means cram in everything but it's nice to sit back and watch the world go by and chat to people too. Running around chasing bands can get to be a bit wearying i find and remove some of the joy. Looking forward to your report anyway. It'd be nice to go to a festival with a bunch of decent acts. Not jealous at all!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Ah I only mean savouring every moment. I love an oul' chat. Yeah, you of all people should be looking at your options across the water next year.

• Advertisement

A quick follow-up to that previous message. Le Son Continu all over and done for 2024, another very successful edition despite temperamental weather (by French standards!). To give an idea of the kind of public we cater to, here's a picture from Monday evening of the vacated 3000-person festival campsite before the clean-up team moved in. :-)

Putting the finishing touches on the packing for Green Man, forecast looks great, should be a brilliant weekend. All the best to any other Boardsies making the trip, will pop a bit of a review in here next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. Enjoy!

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Going to London next weekend for 2 days at All Points East (Friday and Sunday).. not been to it before, so looking forward to it!

Cracking lineups for both days - got Death Cab / Postal Service tickets last year as a gift, but Uber now offering cheap tickets for all days, so got 3 tickets for LCD Soundsystem day for £130.

Only issue I'm hearing is due to being the middle of London, the sound level can a bit limited as a result.

Ah some great stuff there, Basq, looked at that myself. You might let us know how the whole thing works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

It's a cool little festival. Quite compact with all stages nearby. Very jealous of that lineup!

My only advice is to pinpoint exactly where the site entrance is within Victoria Park. Signage wasn't great a few years ago. I've memories of missing Johnny Marr as I circumnavigated the perimeter of the site.

Right, Green Man.

Capacity: 25,000.

Travel: I flew to Bristol, 120 return. National express coach from Bristol to site 17 quid each way. Left Dublin the Thursday, 7 o clock flight, on site at 11.20.

Accommodation: I stayed in Tangerine fields, 95 quid for the weekend a bit extra if you want a mattress/sleeping bag.

Image20240818_190454.jpgUploaded 1:28 pm2.91 MBDelete

No bells and whistles but lovely, clean campsite, decent showers, quiet, clean,2 mins from main arena.

General looked incredibly calm, plenty of room, zero litter.

Site: absolutely gorgeous. I mean stunning. In a valley, banked on either side by wooded hills. The scenery is with you wherever you are on the site. Lush greenery everywhere, babbling brooks, lots of trees, abundant places to loll around in the sun. Loads of space.

4 primary stages, Main, Far Away tent, their Electric Arena equivalent, Walled Garden for the slightly smaller acts and the beautiful Rising stage for the up and comers. 5 or 6 minute walk max from one stage to any other.

Chai Wallahs tent hosted the Trailer Park type acts, funk, soul, ska, reggae type acts plus djs. Round the Twist another tent for short pop up sets and late night shenanigans.

Booze: lots of bar serving your standard Green Man beers, a very nice pale ale, an IPA, a Lager, a couple of ciders. Then there was the Courtyard Bar, like a mini beer festival, maybe 45 taps, independent brewers, all sorts, ales, ciders, stouts etc.

Bars only close when their adjacent stage does, which means some are going till 4 in the morning.

Food: delish. Loads of tasty options and I loved that they were spread all over the site, so no mass accumulation of people or litter at any time. Queues at time of course but nothing major.

Crowd: Bang on. Not for the ravers, defo an older, middle class crowd but I had tonnes of lovely interactions, with staff, punters and loads of musicians wombling round the site. Delighted to bump into @FishFingers and his crew on Thursday and regularly after that. They dispensed witty banter, hugs and copious amounts of yellow spot to anyone in a 20 yard radius. Lovely bunch.

Music: Oh the music! Just a perfect mix for me, every type of gig and atmosphere imaginable Big Thief in front of packed Arena Saturday night, JAMC, Lambrini Girls, Metz lashing into it in the tent, Muireann Bradley charming the bejaysus out of the main arena in the sun yesterday lunchtime, kids like Slate, Humane the Moon or TTSSFU rocking the Rising stage and absolutely loving it. I finished off last night with a run of Blonde Redhead (my gig of the weekend), a mental Mary Wallopers and Big Special razing the Rising Stage to the ground.

48 full or partial sets for me and every one of them gave me something cool.

Tldr, best festival experience of my life, I think. I'll be back.

Post edited by Stillill42 on

Ah, looks savage @Stillill42!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wowser, sounds amazing, great write up

My mum's Welsh so I've always had half an eye on Green Man but never made it, you've convinced me to look into fixing that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mgkelly

bdrmm @ 1110h is some start to the day! Nice!

And the pics are wonderful.

Sounds very relaxing.

Advertisement