Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,335 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

their Euro 96 squad was pretty damn good. Shearer, Fowler, Sheringham, Gazza, McManaman, Adams, Campbel.
    2002 had Cole, ferdiand, Campbel, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Scholes, Owen. you then had guys like Fowler, Dyer, J.Cole.

Not to defend Southgate - but c'mon. England has routinely had a great bunch of players to pick from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I thought Kyle walker was fairly useless attacking wise. I think James is a significant upgrade. I think he would have contributed more than Maddison, Grealish or the other names left out. But he’s massive fitness issues so I we never going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Best team won in the end.

England have bags of forward talent but a manager who is defensive in nature and poor tactically. They were dreadful in most games, relying on moments of brilliance to pull games out of the bag against average opposition.

A more attack minded coach could make them real contenders against anyone. I’m resigned to the fact that they’ll win a tournament eventually with the talent they have at their disposal, I am glad that it won’t be Southgate though that will get them there - nice bloke but a total bluffer in management.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

England play differently to almost every prem team in terms of pressing and playing out from the back etc. That’s what the players are used to but Southgate sees it differently. He’s the root cause here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What I see there is two liars of players that were massively overrated by the English media and Premier League bubble.

This England team when put up next to their rivals are way ahead of the teams above when put against the team of their times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

This.

The one thing that will win any neutral over is exciting tempo football. The one thing that will not is how England played this tournament. Boring risk adverse 'corporate' football. I get enough of that mentality at work (where it has its rightful place), but in football, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Think this helps show how much Southgate has relied on individual talent this tournament. Just sitting 10 men behind the ball, creating nothing, and hoping for a moment of brilliance.

This is what I imagine Allardyce's England would have looked like had he gotten a major tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

When you, as a manager, see the impact of Cole Palmer and Ollie Watkins, yet you decide to make them bit part players, getting 5, or 10, or 20 minute cameos, the problem is with you.

When you give Anthony Gordon 2 minutes in a 7 game tournament, the problem is with you.

When you lumber on with Harry Kane up front, when clearly, he is not at 100%, the problem is with you.

If you can look across at the other bench, and see a manager, who used 25 of his 26 players, and was confident enough to take off the player of the tournament at half time, then you need to re-assess.

Having said all that, however, I do wish that Southgate stays on. he's probably the only "conservative" with power now, so who knows. The jingoism and relentless patriotism is embarrassing and I couldn't take 58 years of gloating . I listened to the RP podcast on Thursday where Mark Langdon tipped up Spain, yet, by Saturday every single piece of print media from the Post and the Sporting Life ALL TIPPED England. None of them had the balls to put it in print that Spain would win. That is how bad it is over there. Crazy. I lost respect for the "so called" professionals. Cowards, the lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

England went into that last 10 minutes under the mistaken belief that Spain would be as happy to settle for extra time as they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Southgate had Gallagher and Trippier ready to come on right before Spain made it 2-1, fully settling for ET and penalties.

• Advertisement

I think they were, like the team today, a squad of great players who were less than the sum of their parts at international level.

As for the team now - I would also say the French and Spanish sides are better. I think the French team was similarly hindered by its coach.

IMO they had abandoned a shape in search of a goal, and left themselves open centrally. Bringing Gallagher on to restore that would have been the correct move, imo. And Trippier in for Shaw (I assume?) who was making his first start in 6 months also makes sense, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

The good thing about Nico is he’s with Athletic Bilbao who have looked after him and his family.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Spain had a clear system of play, clear roles for players and also used players in roles that suited them.

England did not have that and at times just had players in positions to get them on the field rather than where they should be. They found themselves having to make adjustments during the tournament and did not have a clear approach coming into the tournament. If they do a review the way the midfield kept changing and the formation adjustments will be big negatives.

Spain knew the core of their team before the tournament started. They even had planned subs in place like Morata starts but will be replaced by Oyarzabal. If he was needed wide they had Joselu to play CF. They had players ready to come on to tighten things up near the end. I think if any player was injured, hurt or just tired they had a player ready to come in so they did not have to change their approach to the game. It was the perfect example of how to put a team and squad together. They really excelled as a group and were well deserving winners.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

France had better individual players but were pants to watch. Same as Portugal. I'd put them on a par for tournament with England. Germany and Spain the best two teams and it would have been a very worthy final but for the draw.

Not for long... Barca are going to sign him this summer imo

Howdy folks our annual feedback thread is open as of today:

France had problems with their best players, namely Mbappe and Griezmann. Neither looked fit or for some reason were off form completely. Their squad wasn’t a deep as maybe you’d expect. They were still turning to Giroud to come on and try to get a goal when they were stuck.

Portugal were badly hampered by Ronaldo. Surely they’ll get rid of him now. He was such a great player but he’s just turned into a monster who won’t go away and let Portugal get on with things. All that’s left is his horrendous ego.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Martinez aswell is an awful manager, how he was given that job after massively underachieving with that Belgian squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I know this is a bit controversial but I gotta say it.

Rodri is the best midfielder in the world and he was brilliant in this tournament but for me Ruiz was better. I was expecting him to get player of the tournament.

• Advertisement

He should win the Ballon d’or. Hopefully after last night this chat of Bellingham getting that award will be binned. Bellingham is a very useful player and is a great athlete etc but as a football player he wouldn’t lace Rodri’s boots.

If they give that award to Bellingham at the end of the year they may as well bin the whole thing and forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Some turnaround in the personality and behaviour of Bellingham. Real Madrid must give masterclasses on how to be an obnoxious prick. His diving and histrionics on the pitch over the tournament has been pathetic. Sad to see as he came across quite humble and genuine before he went there. Perhaps it's difficult to keep the ego in check when you are constantly showered with such praise.

Bellingham will win it in the future, the level he's at and he's only 20 is insane.

I agree with you, Rodri should get it and his only challenger should be Carvajal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Ronaldo is completely toxic at this stage, and is only in it for personal records.

I saw a video the other day, in all of his knockout games, he’s had 93 attempts and scored 3, all headers. He’s long been surplus to requirements at Portugal but will still publicly say he wants to continue which causes the manager a headache.

If Martinez has any sense he’ll tell him thanks for everything but he won’t be considered for selection for the WC. I don’t expect him to take it well but really, who cares - it shouldn’t be just about him.

Martinez knows how to make a mess of a great squad. He did it at Belgium and he's already done it with Portugal. I'd have no faith in him improving things.

Fantastic result last night.

Rice and Kane were absolutely poison. Southgate will be under pressure now, but hopefully he stays on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

I am reading an article there about Bellingham not being liked within the England camp and Alexander-Arnold being his only real friend in there. I have to say I know he is young and has a natural arrogance great players need but he did come across as very unlikeable character throughout this tournament to me anyway.

Regards,

P.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

England are catching up on the technical side of the game, but still way off producing a Rodri. Foden is probably the most technical midfield player they have and southgate relegated him to playing on the wing. Rice shows far more for Arsenal, asking him to pick up the ball from the centre halves and knock it 5 yards was a waste, Stones drove forward more than Rice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A nice montage on BBC last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Patrick Mahomes

It’s Oliver Kay article in the athletic today I don’t think we are allowed to post athletic stuff here due to copyright

Titled

Inside Englands Euro 2024.

Regards,

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

It seems like they're making the same mistakes as the last "golden generation". Pick all the best players and shoehorn them in somewhere.

no he won’t. He’s a specimen as an athlete and very useful player but not a great footballer. The Ballon d’or should be reserved for great footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

Messi won the Copa and could retire from international football. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he won it again.

I do agree Rodri should win it and it shouldn't be close.

Didn’t watch much of the Copa but he scored a few goals and they won it so don’t see why Messi should retire unless he wants to. He’s always been compared with Ronaldo because they were at the top at the same time but Messi has contributed much more for his country as a team player. Two Copas and a World Cup with him as captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I don't like Bellingham, as he comes across as cocky and arrogant.

However, he looks like a "moments player" and yesterday he was the player who put the ball on a plate for Palmer, as well as delivering a pin point pass to Ollie Watkins, only from him to fluff his lines. When surrounded by the Real Madrid stars, he will always have the latitude to do things like that and impact games. Probably less so for England, when the "system" isn't as obvious. I don't think Madrid are spending over €100m if they're not convinced there's something there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

There's a common theme with Southgate's England.
    They qualify well. They get through groups. They get nice draws. They never really blow teams away but in general they do beat who they should beat.
    They fail against teams who are better than them.

Southgate deserves credit for getting the team to the stage where they are actually going deep in competitions but I feel he has probably reached his limit.

They need to review how they get to that next level and that for me is a manager who can manage the in-game situations better.
    They have the squad - they will get to knock out rounds of tournaments under almost any half-competent manager.
    The extra % will come from a better in-game manager now to get them over the line in games where they aren't the big favourite

Like I said he's undoubtedly a useful player, just wouldn't ever have him as a ballon d'or winner. He's not in that class.

As regards costing 100 million, he'd have attributes that's worth a lot of money but Jack Grealish cost 100 million, so that on it's own doesn't real mean much.

Will be interesting to see what happens with him when Mbappe goes to Real Madrid, plays in a different role but he could get squeezed out and they might flog him to Man United for 150 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

He's 37 and will be 39 for the next world cup. Be normal enough to retire at that age (or younger). Reports from that part of the world indicate he will retire but its very different to Ronaldo. He still adds huge value to the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

If Portugal have any sense, they'll realise they'll waste another generation of players under his incompetence and get rid. Awful, awful manager.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I've read the full article and there is zero reference to Bellingham not being liked, just that he has no strong connections with anyone in the squad other than TAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

That’s not entirely true, in qualifying for Euro 2020 they waltzed through with something like 40 goals in 8 games (against the usual type they play in qualifying). So he did try attacking teams for a while until the Kosovo game where he seemed to lose confidence and try to be France lite instead.

Ultimately since 2018 Southgate hasn’t improved on a single facet of his skills as a manager and is only really there because he’s a very good PR man who seems to get on with people.

You obviously didn't watch many of his games. You don't win La Liga, especially as a foreigner, player of the year unless you have been great for the season.

I watched him and was blown away by a lot of stuff he did.

Just because he was great doesn't mean he should win the Ballon d'Or though. Rodri and Carvajal were the two best footballers in 2024 in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,082 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

In the early 00s, there was a real problem with the English national team and the English media. They weren't on the same page and always trying to get one up on each other. English media trying to harm the players especially. Always wanted someone to throw under the bus.

Southgate did remove this, but apparently he met the media and basically told them 'be nice to us or else you're getting nothing'. Everything is all rosy now. An internal PR campaign of sorts.

Next thing their players are being talked up as the best in the world etc. Pickford being overrated, Gary Neville's one man mission to turn Kyle Walker into the best right back in the planet, Rice etc etc. the players believed their own hype, and the fans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The absolute state of that cover for so many reasons. Were EA hoping to Photoshop in a certain trophy at the feet of Bellingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Just talking sense. Grealish a generational player in terms of raw talent and vision. Going to City has hindered his development and growth as a player hugely, but he still posses the ability and vision no one else on the English team does.

But overlooking the traditional no. 10 playmaker seems to be a common theme for the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh national teams, who then scratch their heads when they can't work out what the problem is, and would prefer to play dinosaur football, and always come up short due to being outplayed in the middle as they lack a quality playmaker with actual vision. Say what you want about him, Grealish has that in abundance.

Le Tissier getting 8 caps sums it up. The English team should of been built around Grealish, pulling the strings and dictating the structure and tempo for England, linking it up and everyone playing off him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Their problem with the "Golden Generation" was they had too many players, particularly Lampard and Gerrard, who did the same thing but couldn't be dropped. You'll notice that with England, there's certain names that seem to be undroppable, no matter how many times it doesn't work, but they'll continually persist with them anyway.

We'll talk about great prem best 11 teams in 30 years, and still Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand etc will have to be the first names on the sheet, no matter what.

Alot of that "Golden Generation" are untouchable, despite how overrated most were. Barry/Hargreaves should of been played as a holding mid, with Scholes pushed up higher like he was at the end of his United career, with both Gerrard and Lampard dropped tbh. Lampard and Gerrard were only good at roy of the rovers stuff, when there was other players around them controlling the structure of the team at club level.

Otherwise two box to box players, running around, with no idea of how to run a midfield from a technical point of view. But England persisted anyway, and could never get a foothold in the centre of the park, didn't know how, still don't. The only truely world class player, in that otherwise overrated "Golden Generation", was Rooney.

Lampard and Gerrard are good at what they did, make no mistake, but like most English players, play their role, with their teammates generally controlling things in terms of playmaking. So when it comes to the national team, none of them really have any idea about game management.

I've said it over and over in relation to the England football team, it's game management that always lets them down ultimately. And Grealish was the only one who'd have the vision to bring that imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

The last PES game was 4 years ago, and I'm certain it will still be better than any muck EA have to offer.

I watched all the Real Madrid games at the business end of their CL win. He played his part in the team but did nothing spectacular. He was subbed off in the final I think. I don’t want to talk about this guy, he’s not all that great. As I said a useful player and a good athlete but inevitably being English I’d safely say he is the single most over rated player of all time ever. His team lost to a far superior side. Stop talking about him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement