Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior minister refused communion - ‘excommunicated’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

also - this TD presumably is a “practising” Catholic ? The story was He was attending a funeral mass and wanted communion?

It would have been better for him to have a quiet meeting with the priest, to discuss the issue, sit in quiet prayer and reflection, maybe do confession.

Unless he wanted newspaper headlines and publicity???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What statement did i not base in fact? Every article is saying the priest told him he has been excommunicated, the priest or anyone else that ive seen has yet to deny that so the facts as known to us right now are that is what happened.

If you have a source that says otherwise please share it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

I'd say a pause in posting might do you the world of good.

You said that the priest excommunicated the TD. That was the statement which was not based on fact.

Posting clips of articles showing the priest said the TD was excommunicated is not the same thing. That part was never called into question.

We have one source of the event therefore those are the facts as we know them, ill be perfectly willing to change my opinion of the event if more accounts come out but they haven't and the event in question happened 3 days ago. Just because you do not like the current facts of the situation as we know them does not make them any less the facts again as we currently know them.

Arguing semantics like this is also quite a pathetic way to try win an argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

So..in essence.

Hey, I know you were involved in having fellow citizens legally have the freedom of choice to decide what they want to do in the event they become pregnant but me and my colleagues already decided that the sky fairy we worship (who doesn't procreate and so we also won't procreate) is against that and so you're out Colm and I'm not giving you a piece of wafer that I have just magically transformed from an actual wafer into the literal flesh of that very sky fairy so you now can't go and atone for the sins you were born with because the sky fairy made us all with that sin and sure didn't the sky fairy eventually decide to be born itself as one of us just to go and die to save us from the sins it created us with to begin with. You're not welcome to celebrate that self sacrifice no more.

😀

Post edited by valoren on

• Advertisement

You mentioning semantics is laughable. You made an accusation - yes, an accusation - saying the priest said he excommunicated someone. Then you provide clippings which you think support your argument, and then when I show your argument to be false, you bring out the semantics.

Words matter. If you are going to engage in debate, make sure all your ducks are lined up in a row.

Jesus christ learn the meaning of "facts as we know them" ffs. Heres an example we don't know exactly what happened to the titan submersible as we werent there but we know it had issues prior to the incident so the facts as we know them are it probably imploded due to a bad seal etc, using your logic we cant ever know the facts of what happened as nobody exists to give us the exact details.

Its called trying to prove a negative which is logically fallacy, yer man said something happened but nobody else has said it didn't happen, yet you are asking for proof something didn't happen despite there being none available which is absurd.

So once again the facts as we know them are the priest told him he was excommunicated until the priest or someone else who was there comes out and says different.

Im now done with your circular semantics.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,932 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Telling us you've never experienced chemical abortion.

Go back and read your comments.

You said, and I quote: " im just explaining how they work and why its ridiculous for the priest to be saying hes excommunicated yer man"

I said the priest never said he excommunicated it.
    You then went off pulling news articles showing the priest saying the TD was excommunicated, but nothing pointing to the statement you made earlier.

It's not semantics for calling you out when you're wrong.

An accusation was made. You cannot back it up. And you're sore about being called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

I’m not a big fan of TDs grandstanding but also in the outside world I’m not sure anyone agrees with what the priest did , including his peers. ‘Association of Catholic Priests condemn communion refusal to TD’

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2024/0714/1459811-colm-burke/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Shoog

Since almost all women have abortions within 12 weeks of conception, almost all women experience symptoms comparable to a heavy period, so I don't think the drama is warranted.

The ACP are not representative of the hierarchy, nor adjudicators of canon law. Their condemnation is nothing more than a moot point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,772 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What would that involve? Putting hummus on the wafer?

grand ,well at least I know your not even remotely serious about this one, just messing around , which is fine.
    ACP opinion is a moot point :) …but not the random opinions on here…Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Interestingly enough, my 77 year old mother just sent a message to say "Catholic extremism alive and well" cause redfm have a segment on it. She still attends mass weekly, would have been one of those people who voted repeal too. It's just a little bit embarrassing for the church more than anything.

Church stands firm on basic teachings.
    How is that embarrassing for the church?

Should the church go along with popularism? Should they abandon the ten commandments because someone has an issue with them?

0.5/10 for effort but I’m not sure your heart is in this for the long haul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Nah, this was an individual priest doing something that most priests simply wouldn't do. It has as much effect of pissing off the few people who still go to mass. It just comes across as petty.

Your scorecard is not high on my priorities.
    Bit of a lame response though.
    On the off chance that it's made you a little happier, good chap!

• Advertisement

Petty?
    And no pettiness coming from the TD who is all across the news talking about it, and getting onto the bishop?
    I think you have your wired crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭yagan

I see this a lot with some people who can compartmentalise between being Irish catholic and being Roman catholic, the former being more important than the latter, even though the former is heretical in the eyes of the apostolic succession.

I guess it's easier for older people to do this as they remember a time when priest said mass with his back to them so its the ritual of attendance that's more important than any interaction with the church polity.

Ironically it was the reformation that saw church attendance becoming mandatory and Rome adopted that practice in the counter reformation as a leash on the flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Upandout

Ah so you want men to decide what I and other women do with our bodies. Our body, not yours.

Honestly posts like this make me so angry and sad that women today still have to put up with men telling them they have a say what happens inside their body.

How about we let women decide which men to castrate? Its the same principle, my decision on your body impacting a potential pregnancy?

You do know pregnancy is a real medical threat to a women's life, their body, organs change? It isn't a look after this and no impact on their body, it's a this may kill you question. Are you aware three women died due to child birth in recent weeks?

But hey for the sake of some men who allegedly wrote a few books a thousand years plus, let's prioritise that over women in front of you. And even if you don't believe in that your country takes decades to prioritise your health over a belief system.

Under his eye,

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Upandout

Are you a medical professional? Because you sound just like the ignorant doc who compared a 10 week miscarriage the same way.

I can assure you there is massive differences but that doesn't suit the reteric does it .

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Here, lemme fix that for ya:

I have absolutely no sympathy for the parish priest. They're part of an organisation who kidnapped and sold kids, forced women into slavery and covered for known paedophiles, giving them further access to vulnerable children instead of stopping the evil they claim to be against. Raping kids and burying them in mass, unmarked graves is against the teaching of the church and seen as a grave sin. Does he expect to have zero consequences for his and the churches actions?

He should have excommunicated himself by virtue of being associated with what his peers and paymasters did.

Why he would want to have a brass neck to go and call someone out for being un-Christian when he's not done the same against the evil-doers that are contained within his own organisation?

Now he's lashing others out of it for their own personal choices, but sure hypocrisy is the order of the day with these Charlie Church-types, so no surprise there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Is it true you can't get communion if you've had a divorce ?

Edit

So long as you didn't remarry it seems. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 25,913 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its the churches responsibility to not rape them though.

No. I do not want to decide what you do with your body. That is entirely your choice. Piercings, tattoos, liposuction - do whatever you wish.

Things change when there's another human being in there, and when someone decides that it's not convenient for them or their lifestyle to carry the baby through to birth, that's what I have an issue with.
    Medically required procedures which may have an adverse effect on the viability of the child and it's ability to be carried through to full term, and therefore loss of life occurs, well that's not an issue, because the primary function of intervention was not to kill or harm, but to save a life.
    Psychological reasons for abortion are moot.

Medical Ethics is a very strong science, and well respected and studied by members of the catholic clergy. Catholic Medical Ethics do NOT prohibit procedures which save the life of a mother, but may have the secondary effect of having the unborn child die.

No organization raped anyone. It was individuals within the church.

I already addressed the fact that the catholic church erred when it came to dealing with such cases, and did so in a way that harmed many people.
    The church itself has acknowledged this too.

That does not mean the church should give up the core values of its teachings, which come from the gospel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Rugbyf565

he could always wander over to the church of Ireland..

Advertisement