Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Budget 2025 ev grant

Options
  • 13-07-2024 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just wondering does anyone think the government will change the EV grant in light of the reduced sales of new EVs this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I don't believe they will change anything to increase sales. The green agenda has taken a general hammering, so EVs won't be in the spot light. The gov will want to spend money to buy votes, so the money will go on appeasing the electorate.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hopefully they remove all grants. They only go to the OEM pockets at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The grants and incentives have been credited with the mass adoption of EVs in Norway. And the new grants and incentives in Italy seem to be having a similar effect.

Yes, they are much better done in the likes of Norway and the US. Tax credits for purchasers as opposed to blank cheques to the OEMs from the SEAI

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

• Advertisement

If we gave tax credits to purchasers of EU created EVs that would be much better than a blank cheque to anyone. We're effectively funding chinese companies! Anyone buying an MG, an Ora, a BYD is giving 5k of Irish taxpayer money direct to the chinese company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

Fair enough, but you know Ireland.

'Only favours the rich'

'What about those who don't pay tax'

🙂

Only folks the leftists that make statements like that would consider rich are buying any new cars let alone EVs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yes and no, tax credits pretty useless for the retired generation and lots of them adopting EVs so incentive needs to be direct at time of purchase, yes to current tax paying, agree with that 100%

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I'm sure you can make exceptions for pensioners (so, make this a refundable tax credit for folks over 65, otherwise it's only a deduction). Much better than handing a blank cheque courtesy of Ireland Inc to the chinese government funded manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am sure most pensioners who are buying a new EV are also still paying Tax.

However I can see the headline in the leftie press:

"Tax break for rich people to buy a powerful expensive Tesla"

Actually they are probably using some of the tax free lump sum from their pension! And yes I agree that that would be the tag line, but the Teslas people are buying are neither powerful nor expensive anymore.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I couldn't care less about putting €5k into a Chinese company pocket, elimination of an ICE is all that matters and a straight cut off the price is simple to understand and works very easily

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yeah. Keep it simple is the best policy. And tax credits will favour the better off since they will be on a higher tax rate. Also since we already have these incentives all over Europe to different levels, manufacturer's prices can be easily monitored for asymmetrical price rises.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Most people I know who went EV were most impressed by the half price tolls. It cant see how it paid off for them more than a few euro a month but it had a disproportional effect in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

It would be worth over €250 per year in savings for me personally (a return journey twice a week when heading into the office + a couple of more journeys tagged on per month). Not a massive amount tbh but for those passing the M50 or other tolls each day it could be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

Just reminding folks that the grant for EVs is now down to €3,500 as of July 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Same could be said for the hundreds of thousands of EV panels going on Irish roofs. All government subsidised but less emotive as they are largely unknown brands so people don't care.

For some reason some people tend to be very patriotic to the EU with car brands and not a lot else.

I agree the solar grants are also useless in terms of driving takeup. Installers just inflate their prices by the grant amouint

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Tax credits for bikes didn't stop suppliers increasing costs, I don't think there's any effective difference between a grant and a tax credit, either way the price goes up to absorb the incentive.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

given that the recent grant reduction could be correlated with the reduction in EV sales it is doubtful that any change to the grant will be made in the 2025 budget ( and yes there are other reasons for sales reduction such as early adopters have already bought and social media misinformation)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭fafy

Slightly linked, as need to look at high level overall government policy, in this space.

From May 1st 2023, They zero rated vat on panels, pv equipment, pv batteries and on the the labour to install them, depending on what one got, it could easily be €1000+ for an average household, it was more than that for me, and i just got in on the €2,400 PV grant.

The 13.50 % vat remained, rather bizarrely, on the install of EV Chargers.

They also introduced low interest retrofit loans at around circa sub 4% rates, which don’t have to be secured on your home, and can be up to 10 years, and can be drawn as work progresses.

I have my doubts the EV grant will increase, EV prices have dropped significantly and are likely to reduce further, they got rid of vat for PV installs. and have low interest loans , thats a lot of barriers removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

There are at least 2 ways to up the adoption of EVs:

1. Subsidise the prices of the EV;
    2. Tax the sh1t out of non EVs - increase road tax, excise duty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You're not wrong. It cost the tax payer very little but gave great bragging rights. Which as we all know work better in Ireland than real savings. That's the disproportional effect you noticed. Like the "chape tax" on diesels. Back in '12 and '13, people forking out an extra €10k to get a '08 BMW 520d a year younger so they pay €200 annual motor tax instead of €710 for an '07 😂

A handy saving though all the same. Almost all of my toll is the M50 and I mostly go through it off peak. This meant a 75% discount. Rarely go through it for work, still saved myself about €200-300 per year. Anyone commuting through it, even at peak times, saved themselves the maximum €500 per year. Tax free of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,348 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Indeed. New EVs without any incentives, already have lower total cost of ownership than similar ICE cars . Most people that buy EVs are well aware of this. It is lunacy to keep subsidising them.

To promote further EV uptake, we need to educate the ignorant masses who believe everything they read in the media about batteries lasting just 2 years and costing €20k to replace, EVs going on fire when parked in a garage, that you can't drive an EV in the rain or you will be electrocuted, that EVs are only suitable as city cars and all the other million incorrect things written about them all the time 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Love this @unkel

• Advertisement
Advertisement