Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options
1267268269270271273»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

"At this time" doing a lot of work there…..

Ultimately, I think this is a result of the business model that they've chosen, but also a result of the changing way in which people play, and spend money on, games. So much money in the industry is now going to to live service games like Fortnite, hardware sales are missing targets, games that got the ok only two or three years ago no longer make financial sense.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sony put their prices up soon as well, I think it's coming up on full year report season soon, and every company seems to be missing targets in the gaming space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

Yeah the "at this time" looks to be they saw the backlash and sent a hasty enough email to show it ain't as bad as the headlines for those lucky enough to be using it already.

For now il continue with it and see what to do when they for sure pump it up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see the (e)sportswashing continues: though given this is the IOC we're talking about, morality is lower down the rung with them, even compared to other sports corporations;

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well that's something to easily ignore and not take part of/follow. Money can buy literally anything. I love the IOC quote

"we have also ensured that the Olympic values are respected, in particular, with regard to the game titles on the programme, the promotion of gender equality and engagement with the young audience, which is embracing esports."

I actually thought the IOC, without knowing anything about them, wouldn't be that thick. Guess I was wrong. Gender equality in Saudi Arabia! Hah! And not just once off, for the next 12 years! I genuinely hope gamers garner together and simply ignore or even actively ensure people don't engage with it. Any streamer who takes part should be shunned from the community. I'm even tempted to email Sony/PS and ask them to remove GT7 from the games being played, because they shouldn't want anything to do with this either. But… money will win. It always does. Shame, I may have been interested in it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,450 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think it's the other way around really: the IOC think we're that thick to believe that kind of corporate fluff claws them back some degree of moral standing to make a partnership of that ilk. They'd know precisely what kind of people they're getting into bed with so have made loud claims how otherwise amazing and equal they are.

Unfortunately this is a small drop in an ocean by the Saudis to try and diversify in light of the slow decoupling from Oil & they'll make sure Western-Corporate "morality" remains flexible enough in light of those barbarians' wealth. And seems like fans of sports etc. don't care either, so far, as long as their team is winning.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to boycott anything that has sold out to oil but it's difficult, because a lot have! And it really doesn't affect me anyway because I'd rather play games than watch other people play them. Just amazing how blind people get when money is waved in front of them. I've let the IOC know my feelings, not that it would change anything. Maybe start an aul change.org petition to get people to boycott it… doubt it would work, but any negative publicity is good for us. I may also just continue to do nothing but complain and turn into an old man before my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Unfortunately it isn't just eSports. The Saudi PIF, run by Prince Bonesaw, own a significant chunk of SNK and about 10% of a large number of other big companies in the space like Nintendo, EA and Embracer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Don't own Nintendo (although a bit shocking to see Nintendo have sold out somewhat), play no Capcom games lately, mostly the same with EA… I'm inadvertently already avoiding most! Embracer one is harder… Then again, they've either closed or broke the games they own so far, so could be inadvertently avoiding them too. Judging by SA's intent to be the global games hub by 2030 (the "Kingdoms Vision"… ugh), me thinks I won't be able to completely avoid them for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭panevthe3rd

I don't think Nintendo had any choice in the matter. Shares were up for sale and the Saudi PIF bought them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed, that is the problem with public companies. I can't see the PIF ever getting enough shares to trigger a takeover though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll disappointed to know how many games companies have shares owned by the Saudis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

By significant chunk of SNK you mean a controlling share of SNK. Which is frustrating as they are releasing their best work in years.

Nintendo can't really control who busy their shares so it's not selling out. It's like Tesco's denying you buying a banana at the store. They defo own Sony shares as well.

Nintendo are probably safer from a buy out since they are Japanese and I think it's illegal for a foreign entity to own a Japanese company. SNK are Japanese but I believe they are headquartered in Korea.

Yeah, I gave a quick search and extremely disappointed to hear that Sony are a founding partner of this new eSports World Cup with the Saudis… They're producing an anthem and a docuseries about it… Probably impossible to avoid them already.

We love in a world where our governments are justifying a genocide. Not surprising extreme human rights issues can be ignored for vast sums of oil money.

I mean I might find it easier to swallow if they just did it with a big evil emperor Palpatine laugh. It's the gaslighting and talking down to us like we are all dumb dumbs. I mean the Saudis and gender equality. **** off.

In game game related news, Metaphor: ReFantaszio or however it's spelled, was demoed recently and the response has been very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,898 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Rumours afoot that MS is set to stop promoting consoles in certain markets in the EMEA, only to focus on cloud, Gamepass and controllers.

Handing the market to Sony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I would say they barely ever started promoting the consoles in Europe and I think Sony has taken the EU market a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Have to remember Nintendo are way ahead of Sony and I've a feeling worldwide PC ain't doing so shabby.

You could see this as Microsoft getting out of the hardware arms race. It feels like we have reached a point of diminishing returns and competing against Sony is probably going to take not just money but marketing and software talent that Microsoft just don't have. They're seeing streaming and subscriptions as the future and gambling on getting a foothold there before Sony or anyone else.

I wouldn't be celebrating Microsoft exiting the hardware market as it gives Sony free reign to full scumbag company mode and they are one hell of a scummy company when they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

Microsoft have never really been a hardware company, xbox is probably the longest they have stayed in consumer hardware that I can think of.

Alot of gaming pcs are running on windows so Microsoft gaming reach is probably crazy when you think of that which is not in a traditional sense, more and more kids are getting into pcs as they are streaming and seeing streaming and that's possibly on consoles but not as customisable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem is it doesn’t appear that the streaming marketplace is growing as fast as Microsoft (or anybody) hoped or expected. The whole ‘play on phone’ thing is frankly a non-starter as playing a AAA game on phone or tablet is mostly terrible (as Apple is also learning currently with their silly push for AAA ports), and not enough people are going to buy a controller extension to get a somewhat better experience. Needing a controller is also an extra faff relative to film / TV service (not to mention the increasingly high subscription entrance fee and additional issues any kind of internet limitations will throw up).

Add to that that Digital Foundry has repeatedly reported that Xbox has the poorest cloud gaming quality of the big players at the moment, and I think it’s a risky play going all in on that. The best way for most people to play video games is still very much a dedicated box. I also don’t really buy the argument it’s more accessible, as twenty quid a month is not a cheap entry price (and ditto Sony’s subscription service or GeForce now).

I still think Microsoft’s smartest play would be Steam integration of some sort. That’s the way they’ll gain the momentum they desperately want on PC - their **** dedicated app is not the way. I think their next platform will be more open, but if they could arrange to have GamePass games run through Steam… then things get interesting. Either that or they embrace their emerging reality of being a massive publisher above all else.

Digital Foundry did an iPhone AC Mirage video recently and it looks pants. I'm amazed the quality Nintendo can squeeze out of the little old Switch all these years later. Except for maybe the messy complicated WiiU, Nintendo always squeeze the last drop of performance out of cheap hardware for years.

I'd say Valve are lining up Steam Deck 2 to be the definitive PC console experience. MS could try to produce a similar product but it'd would make no sense.

Not sure I'd say that about the WiiU. There's absolutely stunning games on that system and Nintendo mostly focused on locked 60 fps on that console. Mario 3D World looked incredible and then Xenoblade chronicles X was extraordinary.

Anyway speaking of Nintendo, they released a weird creepy teaser lately and turns out it's a new Famicom detective club remake. I've not gotten around to the first two games they released but apparently they are excellent detective games with a budget that far exceeds most VNs

I'm saying compared to their other consoles it was an expensive piece of hardware to produce at the time, given the main unit and the tablet. Stuff like Switch, Gameboy, Wii are/were cheap to produce compared to the competition.

And it's ridiculous that the Switch can give a much better gaming experience thanks to its software, vs the latest most expensive iPhone Mega Max Utra Extreme With Knobs On Hash Tag Look At Me

Switch software is tangible too as it comes on cartridge. It's offline and personal. It's self marketing desirable stuff that maintains it value and possibly will even increase in value.

Streaming stuff is throw away, network dependent, big brother controlled, metrics enabled, disposable stuff. That's why people will not warm to it and put its value at zero. It'll become an advertising platform and people will get their content for free, and pay for add ons.

My 2 cents.

Damn: I went from intrigued to immediate apathy at the read of the dreaded words Visual Novel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement