Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Years ago after getting sick of Dublin hammering everyone in Leinster I decided to try hurling to get my fix. Went to Dublin V Galway when Dublin won the Leinster. Dublin V Cork all Ireland semi, cork V Clare AI final replay and the KK V Tipp semi final when lar went on a mad one. Safe to say I've been hooked since.

Some classic semi finals such as tipp V Galway trilogy, Tipp V Wexford and Wexford V kk Leinster final. Many more but the game itself is far superior and the atmosphere is top notch.

Would love to get to a few of the big Munster championship matches. The only thing hurling needs is less kk in Leinster finals for a few years. A final involving Wex/Dub/Galway would be much better. I'm still dreaming of a Wexford V Dublin final. And maybe some day even Offaly getting there.

The two semis were absolute crackers this year although funny enough the two football semis are shaping up well this year too. We need less KK/Kerry/Dublin in the semis for a bit of excitement going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Rosita

This is the kind of argument that will unfortunately be pulled out to try to make sure nothing changes. It was shite back in the '80s so let's not do anything now. Don't get the relevance myself but you'll hear it from many.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

Nope. I certainly am not saying that.

And well you know it.

I've always enjoyed football. But I've always had to listen to clueless oul fellas telling everybody who'd listen that football was so much better in the good ol' days. It wasn't!

Just one example of many would be in 1986 when for some reason on a Sunday morning RTE showed the 1966 All-Ireland final in its entirety. Maybe it was the 20th anniversary, but anyway my father was thrilled to sit down and watch 'real' football. He is a Galway man and was always of the opinion that the 1960s three-in-a-row team were way better than the Kerry team of the 70s and 80s. In fairness to him, after watching it, he didn't try to cover up. He was shocked at how far behind the football of only 20 years previous was.

And it was waaaay behind.

I've been listening to the same claptrap from people ever since. Criticising for the sake of it. Rinse and repeat. Ask then how the game can be improved and there's either silence (Brendan Bender) or a bundle of completely ridiculous, didn't-spend-very-long-thinking-about-it type replies that simply don't stand up to any reasonable scrutiny.

The majority of games in any sport are 'average'. 'Great' games are the exception. Hence the labelling. The problem is the whingers (usually people who never played any sport at any sort of high level, or never played at all) think every game should be a classic.

I enjoyed football matches in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, 2000s, 2010s and I continue to enjoy them. Some matches are better than others, some are worse. So what. That's life.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Armagh/Kerry game yesterday. I was quite literally on the edge of my seat from the time Armagh got their goal. I love seeing underdogs win, in any sport. I thought it was a very good game. And from my point of view the 'right' team won. That's the beauty of sport. The unpredictability. Teams/players adopt whatever tactics it takes for them to win and I love seeing tactics evolve and counter-evolve.

Make no mistake about it, competitive sport is all about winning. The very reason competition was invented was not to entertain, but to find out who the best was. Winners know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,479 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm….. My friend, you seem to be out of step with the President of the GAA, the commentators, the rule makers, the pundits, the MSM reporters, and a very sizeable percentage of the general public .

But hey…. keep trying to convince folk that black is white and white is black, if that's your bag.

You should read 'The Emperors New Clothes' sometime .

• Registered Users Posts: 34,163 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I would agree in sense that watching 60s and 70s games it was bit all over shop. One thing always annoyed me is you could fist the ball into the goal back then which looked horrible and cheap and kerry were as bad culprits as anyone even though was in rules it felt just cheap way score for me.

But it did get better, standards improved and especially skills of the game, kicking, hand passing, blocking, accuracy, free takers everything really.

Every game evolves but for me and having watched plenty of 90s and 00s games past 2 years it was as good as hurling or whatever sport you wish.

Not every hurling game is a cracker or football game awful, but football has been dragged down for most part. (My own county as bad watch as anyone)

I don't expect be entertained or see a great game but fans are voting with their lack of attendance. The quarter finals was worst aggregate attendance for Quarter finals and that's with Dublin in it.

People are entitled to think the game is fine and that's ok but majority ain't and proof is lack interest and falling attendances.

When I speak to fans of a county that were in a AI semi final yesterday and they were not looking forward to it as they thought be dull game something is wrong. Now in turned out be decent game but it's not the point. It's expected now rather than norm.

Im not in favour of 10 or more rule changes either and think one or two little changes will do fine. It does not have be drastic but people are being put off and are voting by staying away. If people think that's OK we'll no point in arguing really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭megadodge

Looking at the last two replies to my post.

Irrespective of whether I agree or not, one was well-thought out and well-articulated. A mature response.

The other is exactly what you'd expect from a poster who was all over an earlier thread telling us lies about where hurling has gone wrong, also ventured onto the boxing forum to lecture fans there about their 'so-called sport'. Exactly the sort of moaning, barstool bore I've been ignoring my whole life.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We will see how attendances stack up at the end of the season. More games with some having low numbers, does not mean an overall reduction. In the Golden Age of football, the two predecessors of the Tailteann died a death because of lack of interest.

Meanwhile back on the field there are 30 players and two sets of goalposts. The rules allow them to take up any positions they want on the field, and pass the ball in any direction by hand or by foot. No amount of harking back to how things used to be will make them play in the way that obtained 50 years ago. We are getting on for 25 years of players and coaches changing the game radically, and it will continue to evolve. It would be a disaster for the tinkerers to get their way with nonsense new rules which will just annoy the players.

When the Shot Clock has been tried, along with the Scoring Zone, and goalkeepers made stay in their area. When handpasses have been restricted, and back passes banned. When outfield players are made to stay in certain parts of the field. When the Mark has been outlawed. What will be the next genius idea if all that does not produce the game that people want?

Just to show that I am amenable to new ideas. Let players pick the ball directly off the ground. Increase the steps from 4 to 8. Both of those would just recognise what goes on anyway. And I would be open to an experiment with 13 a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭shockframe

Not a bad weekend of football that.

Which I might have said for the 37th time on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Matter of opinion. I wouldn't agree. I have to stop myself falling asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭shockframe

You have you're opinion which I respect but is different to mine.

But I know mine is valid and that's all that matters.! 😅

• Advertisement

The game is too slow now, thats the main problem, players walking or standing still with the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

What you are actually seeing is that there are actually no or very few “ great forewords “ and with a good tight defensive system these players can be almost invisible in a close game.
    Back in the day forwards such as Peter Canavan , Bernard Flynn and Barney Rock were capable of winning their own ball, taking a big hit and still taking a score.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,479 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The game needs a root and branch scoping.

and you are still going on with what is largely rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

They also had far more space to do their thing making it a hell of a lot easier to score compared to the situation today

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Yes that is very true. I Having posted my previous message I just realised that those players would have struggled to score in the modern game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So scoring averages are higher today than they ever were in the past, there are more scores today than in the "golden years" but you think Peter Canavan would have struggled to score today?

There is a forward mark today but you think those players would have struggled to win their own ball?

Thats quite a take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭flasher0030

You have some health issue if you struggled to stay away during the Armagh/Kerry match. That was one of the most entertaining games I have seen for a long time. Unless one is completely devoid of emotion, you couldn't but be on the edge of your seat watching it - even as a neutral. Most neutrals would be edging towards Armagh, so it was great to see them get over the line at the end.

By any chance, are you Father Stone from Fr. Ted?

15:18 to 17:22, into the game.

Thats is the kind of play I hate, all hand passes going up and down the sideline and backwards, a bad wide at the end as well.

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-sunday-game-live/SI0000001909?epguid=IH10003622-24-0029

Why do some people keep going on about the '60s and ' 70s? Why not discuss football in 2024 instead?

who talks about the 60s and 70s? 🤔 the football im talking about is around 2010/2012, it was far better to watch then.

I dont get why the likes of RTE and Newstalk are saying them 2 games over the weekend were "great games", just because they were close in terms of the scoreboard doesnt mean they were "great games".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

2011 All Ireland semi final. Dublin 0-8 : Donegal 0-6

I'm not sure you remember 2010-2012 at all.

Tell me that game isnt better to watch than any of the 2 semis this past weekend? the long kick passing is what I miss most from them days, football isnt about slow play and 99% passes being made with the fist.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,773 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was at the Galway v Donegal SF at the weekend. It was a great game. The teams varied their tactics in parts of the match. Galway in particular defended brilliantly throughout. The atmosphere was great loads of families at it. All engrossed in the match.

There were plenty of great scores in the match as well.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The one you are picking there is an outlier, it was probably one of the best games of football in the last 50 years, I was a at it.

But it does not mean that today's football cannot produce great games. The problem is when teams refuse to vary their tactics (Armagh). You need defensive set up teams to at least attempt to counter, like Galway, Derry, Donegal, Louth. Even Dublin are one of the teams who have done both counter attacking football, and controlled football superbly.

It is a question of managers and teams having the courage to try and force errors/make scores or sit back and "hope" the opposition makes a mistake. The really good sides don't "hope". They impose themselves on a game, and can vary their style.

I would argue after 2013 Dublin's off the ball movement moved into the stratosphere, particularly after Dublin lost in 2014. The level of off the ball movement and that type of awareness as a team as a whole did not exist in 2013.

The last great Dublin match I would argue was the 2019 AIF matches v Kerry. Especially the first game where Dublin were a man down, but were so well trained they just pushed Cluxton way up and allowed one Kerry man spare far out on the wing. Yet Dublin dominated. That was top notch stuff. Perhaps not as obvious to the casual viewer on the television. But it was well thought out and well earned.

I think you just love tactics but to me and a lot of fans of gaelic football, that isnt what we love or want to see. I think that is just for the GAA nerds (no offence) I dont think it is entertaining to most fans.

If you scroll back not very far you'll see people talking about it. Surprised you missed it unless you've just joined the thread.

3 random matches I picked from the last 20 years. I just feel them games were a lot faster and more exciting to watch. the games these days bore me to tears.

I dont think anyone on this thread was saying the football back then was good. football has changed for the worst in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Anyone who watches that segment and doesn't believe there's a problem, is deluding themselves.

• Advertisement

It is just a question of getting used to change and different styles of play. A lot of GAA people are always nostalgic wether it be a fella from the 70's wanting catch and kick like the good auld days. Or the fellas from the 90's wanting man on man, knock out football.

The fact of life is the top managers and players are now more intelligent than years ago, all teams now have sports analysts, sport scientists. Gaelic Football borrows form all different sports, Rugby League, Basketball and soccer. They watch how players move and create space. Possession is king.

The problems start when the weaker sides/poorly managed sides do not have the nous/intelligence/bravery to use the possession and have the awareness/movement to create space. They just funnel back constantly, ball side to side slowly. The better sides have better variation within their play. Of the less fashionable sides I was most impressed with Louth to be honest.

I have never seen a a full back wide hugging the touchline when in possession before, the idea was for Louth to stretch Dublin when in possession, then funnel back when not in possession going more compact.

I think the game of football itself is fine, the main problem is most of the weaker sides/lazy managers resort to the simple option non stop. Slow stuff funnel back and side to side. That won't win much at all.

There definitely has to be tweaks in the rules of GAA to stop the poor managers/weaker sides constantly playing like that, but overall the game has moved on leaps and bounds since 2013. The problem is managers/weaker sides constantly go for the easy option and do not vary their play.

I have watched the last great Dublin team open mouthed at times, when viewed live their movement was specular, mix of kick passing, hand-passing, head up. movement at speed, loads of options for the player in possession, when they let loose. That is what teams today should strive for. They have to learn the ability to vary their play. Instead of taking the safe easy option.

Advertisement