Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's- Awful customer service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Took us the best part of a year and the small claims court to get a refund out of those cowboys for a bolloxed outofbox TV (sound worked, picture didnt). They couldn't replace it or offer a similar size TV in the same price range, or repair it (after 6 weeks in their care), or refund us until we went to the small claims court.

Would also discourage others from buying anything in from them too.

Dreadful aftersales service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,442 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve had no bad experiences with Currys but I have to say if I need anything and Harvey Norman are stocking it, I’m going to HN…. Customer service is excellent in terms of in person sales experience and after sales too…

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Enter Username Here

You do not have to give them any reason.

Just return them and ask for a full refund, as long as it falls within 14 days in Ireland.

EU Law

You can return any purchase within 14 days without justification (see 14-day cooling-off
    period). After 14 days, you can usually only ask for a partial or full refund if it's not possible to repair or replace the goods. Please note that you might not be entitled to a refund if the problem is minor (such
    as a scratch on a CD case).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The phone, the app software not updated, the user.

Did you miss the bit about them working fine in the shop when tested?

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement

It is better to quote Irish consumer law rather than EU. Some EU directives have not been enacted in Ireland because our consumer laws are stronger than the EU’s. The relevant information given in earlier posts is correct, it was part of the Consumer Rights Act enacted here in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I saw the link posted above. That's a real strengthening of the CRA. Good addition I hadn't been aware of.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭893bet

that’s online only, does not apply to shop bought

Did you miss the bit about it being intermittent

No, the intermittency is why they wanted to retest over a longer period, which the op objects to.

A quick check for connectivity issues with earbuds lists a number of reasons for its occurrence, including the user phone software not being up to date, Bluetooth connectivity problems with the phone, user error, even fitting in the ear correctly.

So perhaps, the reason is something a little less simplistic than the response you offered, “they connected them, what else is there”

• Advertisement

Its not exactly the most clear post but it would seem the tested them from it

I don't think they objected to that

But ye know a cursory test

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

As much as I don't like currys, harvey norman are the same in my experience.

My dad is in the middle of redoing his kitchen from the floor up so went to get him an air fryer so he would be able to do some cooking while he is doing the job.

Went over to Airside in swords and they both have stores there within a two minute walk from each other.

Same exact model was 70 euro cheaper in currys and despite the sign saying they would match the difference the staff in harvey norman refused to match the price so they lost the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

To be clear that that the goods are faulty someone in the shop would have to test the product for a good hour. I was testing the earphones last night sometimes it was taking 30-40 minutes for the fault to kick in. When they tested them in the shop they only tested them for about 10 mins max.

I've looked into it a bit more it could be an issue with Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

so we now learn its a spotify issue and nothing to do with the earphones themselves, so the item is not faulty.

So currys were correct - and I can assure you I'm am not a fan of currys, but I still know that you have to show how an item is faulty in order for a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Exactly. the fault must be present. if the retailer could not replicate the fault then it requires an investigation. When the investigation is complete the retailer should apply the correct remedy and in the statute quotes they have 14 days to do so.

'Its broken cause i say so' is not present in the law. The law protects both the retailer and the customer.

Post edited by Xterminator on

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Raichų

tbh OP it seems a bit weird to me that you’re demanding the store refunds you without question.

If the fault is as common as you say and easily replicated then why can’t you just demo the issue to the staff so you get your money back?

My reading of all this suggests that either the fault isn’t present and you just want to get your refund because the product didn’t meet expectations somehow or you feel so entitled to a refund you refuse to engage in the process based on some sort of principle whereby you are the customer, customers are always right and you deserve a refund end of story.

It’s coming across to me almost as if you’re offended they had the cheek to test the product to verify the fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

The right you outline applies to items bought on-line. Return , replace , refund applies to items purchased in store. The retailer chooses which option to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

It is as Sadb has cited, in this case the Act doesn’t differentiate between online or in store purchases. Within 30 days the consumer is entitled to be reimbursed for faulty goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭flyer_query

I remember at the time thinking this is really strange and a horrendous use of a very highly paid CEO's time. Shortly afterwards the CEO role in Ireland was disbanded and he was made redundant and I always wondered was it because the chap they were paying nearly €500k PA was spending his time answering customer complaints on a small corner of the web instead of doing what a CEO should have been doing. Yes good brand building to the few hundred people who saw it but thats not what a CEO should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I'd assume it was someone who was given the task of updating the CEO on these issues and posting and not them directly, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Like how most social media accounts aren't run by the actual person 99% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Fair enough, but I did find that,at the time, their shop in Cork was better staffed, with a better quality of service. Maybe he was setting an example for trickle down purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭drury..

Currys used to be a pith for pushing the add-ons

Accidental damage and extended warranties and i can't remember what else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

Apologies, You are both correct. I misread the act.

Cerco

Advertisement