Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

England are going to be batting before tea here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

looks like England have found one here. Atkinson 7/37 ( so far ) on debut……

West Indian batsmen though… 😶‍🌫️

Lol, Atkinson pissing all over Anderson's parade.

There you go, he got one in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Great performance by Atkinson, dreadful but all to typical of the WI Test team in recent times.

did anyone see the chase by one of the West Indians ‘trying’ to haul in a ball that was hit towards the boundary at deep mid wicket ? I didn’t quite see who but as the ball is getting away from them they step down to no more then a brisk trot, no sprinting, no desire to give it all, then the ball goes up the hill towards the boundary and is really slowing down, barley in the end reaches the boundary but fûck me, practically zero effort by the fielder…. Would they not be better off just trying to save the single run and if the ball beats them, at least the effort is made… ? Half arsed. Maybe all knackered from the IPL.

Kumar Sangakara looking like a rather dapper Sri Lankan Ronnie Barker in those glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

What a waste of time these test matches are. Any half decent county sides would beat this WI.

I was just thinking that! England 100 ahead with 7 wickets in hand. They should saunter to victory. No real contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,418 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I guess the problem is if you didn't have these test matches then what would you have instead? A home Ashes every second year alternating with an India test series? Interspersed with maybe a short series against New Zealand who are the only other nation who appear somewhat committed to test cricket but aren't a lucrative opponent? Bangladesh, Afghanistan, meh.

Ultimately you can't force Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies to regard this format of the game as the most important. Their players and associations clearly have little interest, only making a token effort for series' at home to England which is probably more to do with the ability to charge visiting fans $100 a ticket a day.

It's a problem that cuts to the long-term future of the 5-day format.

Listen, i know, much bigger issues at play. I have ZERO interest in watching this test match. It'll be done and dusted in just over 2 days. Hurrah!

I don't know what the answer is, but the state of some of the teams currently is embarrasing in the longer format. And it will only get worse. The most talented will only play 2 formats (If 50 over cricket will still be a thing in 5 years)

And this "bazball" bollox will get England nowhere. You play that kind of cricket against a good attack and you'll get out more time than not, either nicking,hooking or bowled.

It'll be the same for the next few years. England will hammer the crap teams and get beaten comfortably by India/Austalia (away)

• Advertisement

160 + lead……. You’d suspect that England will amass a 260 plus 1st innings lead from here or close.

Real possibility of an innings defeat now for the West Indies going by their shocking total in the first innings.

Woakes gone. Clips it in the air to deep mid wicket. 😵‍💫 that shot given the match situation made zero sense.

Stokes back on the pavilion balcony throws his hands in the air and a look of.. “ what the actual @&@&#€ “

Atkinson gone now too, a careless nervous looking prod and the edge is found. Never moved his feet.

260 looking unlikely, maybe I spoke too soon. Two wickets left, might be best if Smith puts the foot down and keeps Bashir and Anderson away from the strike… and here he goes, lofted drive over mid wicket…. Followed by his 50.

WI 38/4 Well on their way to imploding to an innings defeat. They're inexperienced but there's a lack of real fight.

Haven't watched a ball, and it looks like i was right not to bother.

odds on an innings defeat.

From what we’ve seen in this match, West Indies won’t be laying a glove on England this summer.

Probably all annoyed they travelled thousands of kilometres from home for a few weeks and not making IPL style six figure cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

West Indies strong suit is their bowling. That's what the excitement for this series. Unfortunately being bowled out for 120 made it impossible for them. 370 is a decent enough effort especially with Joseph not himself. No surprise their batting was exposed so badly, that was flagged long before this game.

Some credit to England. Clinical sums them up especially catching.

Looking like the WI may underperform their first innings score, currently 102/8.

9 down, an embarresment.

Is there another one of these charity games next week too?

Utterly dominant by England but the WI made no contest of it. Atkinson had a dream debut, 12 wickets in the match. T

so England win inside two days and one sessions play.

WI scores… 121 & 136

Atkinson the standout for England. Two five fors on debut…

Not one WI batsman made a 50 in either innings… in fact only one made a 30+ and he was a bowler, Motie.

Legends of the West Indian game there watching on, Ambrose, Walsh, Sobers, Lara…

Must stick in their craw that this lot can’t wait to get back to franchise cricket as opposed to longer format and their demeanours didn’t even seem that disappointed to lose….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sometimes I do wonder why they even bother playing test matches. Seems like they playing for West Indies test team to get on t20 games to get picked up by franchise and cash in

Well they certainly don't have the skill for batting in test matches. They'd have been better off playing in t20 mode in this game

Might be worth getting them out to Malahide for a test match, could actually be somewhat competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

West Indies beat Australia at the Gabba before this game. While England are coming from four defeats in a row in India. Some of the reaction is way over the top.

Wisden podcast making great points about their preparation and how the ECB need to put on good warmup games for teams like this. That they're fortunate to get full houses in England no matter the touring side, there's no guarantee it won't go like Australia where only India and Ashes get crowds. It's in their interest to insure sides are competitive and games go into day five.

Mark Wood has been recalled to the squad for the second test. Almost 35.

So it’s going to be between Wood, Potts & Pennington as to who comes in for Anderson. I’d imagine Wood. Hardly been added to the squad as a late addition just for the craic.

Wood did nothing in India. Looked completely toothless. Out of the 5 innings he bowled in out there, he was wicketless in 4 of them. Ok very different conditions in England.

In the recent T20 World Cup he was wicketless in 4 out of 5 matches also…

He'll bowl 15 overs and that's him broken for another 3 months. He best of accept he's limited to the shorter format these days. He's made of glass

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭InsideEdge

Wood bowled 87.4 overs in three games against Australia last year, so far from made of glass. He also took 14 wickets at less than 21 and is not quite toothless.

I never said he was toothless. He's a fine bowler when fully fit. However, he can't be relied on to be fit for any amount of time given his past record with injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭InsideEdge

The toothless comment was a previous poster. But your point still doesn't stand - he bowled over 77 overs in India this year without any problem so fitness is not an issue for him.

• Advertisement

Yes, he's so fit he played in 3 of the 5 tests, so fitness is an issue. It's has always been an issue. I don;t think he has ever been able to participate in a full test series of 4 test matches +.

Advertisement