Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best counter top beer machine in 2024

Options
  • 15-07-2024 12:59pm
    Administrators Posts: 53,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the go-to option for beer machines in 2024? I'm talking about the small 5/9litre ones that sit on a counter top, not a kegerator / full tap setup or the likes. I know there are older threads on this but most of the info is from years ago with lots of dead links to retailers etc.

Two options I can see are the Blade and PerfectDraft.

My biggest concern is the availability of kegs, the Blade kegs look like they're hard to find in Ireland? PerfectDraft doesn't look a whole lot easier either.

Anyone have either of these and have any recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Your biggest concern should definitely be availability. These machines aren't as popular here as in other countries, and that has a massive impact on how useful they are. Until Heineken Ireland (Blade) or C&C (PerfectDraft) decides to support the machine in Ireland (they won't), you're effectively buying on an unreliable grey market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Out of interest - why won't they support them here? MUP?

Speculating here, but if they went all-in on promoting home draught they would annoy their biggest customers: the pubs. But also, Ireland is small, and carving out a niche for a new format of beer is expensive. I doubt the return on investment would be there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you are near the North, Sub and Blade seems to be available in a good few spots. Although it's mainly just Heineken, Tiger and Moretti, from what I can see.

• Administrators Posts: 53,790 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea not near the north unfortunately, I'm in Wicklow.

There seems to be a good few options in Ireland but most of them are out of stock which worries me. It's a lot of money to drop on a machine if I can't find kegs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I have a blade around 3 years, so do a couple of my mates, great system. I have a 2 line cooler system aswell but I never use that anymore since i got the blade as there is a lot of hassle with cleaning lines, balancing gas etc. I have never had any issues getting kegs… you can order directly from here https://www.mybooze.eu/ Kegs are €30 but with delivery comes in at roughly €40-€42 per keg. We used to get them from a few off licenses up the north (First and Last) but they are actually more expensive now than mybooze.. think the last time we looked at them up north they were about €45 a keg, mybooze deliver directly to your door.

I looked at perfect draft, but if your drink of preference is Heineken or Moretti then the blade is a no brainer, the pints out of the blade wont be beaten. The only small thing to think about is there have been some issues with some of the earlier blade models having issues with cooling so make sure you get a warranty with your machine.. i havent been affected by it but two of my mates had the same issue and from reading online it seems a common fault . It can be fixed by disassembling and replacing a cheap temp sensor on the machine but its advisable to buy the units from a reputable source with a warranty to save you the hassle. One of my friends bought his from donedeal second hand and it broke a few months after he got it, so he had to replace the sensor himself, took him about an hour and the sensors where €10 on amazon.

Thanks this is great info. Now I just need to try and source a machine, which seems harder than I was expecting!

Just to note that mybooze.eu doesn't pay Irish taxes, so ordering from them runs the risk of being stung for duty and VAT (like this guy), or not getting your order at all. Their "Is this legal?" page is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I have a PerfectDraft and it's brilliant, the quality of the pint coming out of it is great and it's good craic when you have a crowd over. Machine is less than half the price of the Blade also.

However, as noted above it is hampered by unpredictable availability of the kegs. There are a few suppliers here but they seem to get deliveries infrequently enough so sometimes there is a huge range and others times you might only have five or six beers to choose from.

A few places in Newry always seem to have good stock though.

• Advertisement

Where did you get the machine from / the kegs from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭sibersha

Owned a Blade for the last couple of years and just sold mine. The pints are top notch out of it (better than a lot of pubs) but the selection is very limited and the recent price increases for the kegs make them quite expensive now

A few of my friends own the Perfect Draft, there is a far better selection available but from what I have seen they are not as good a pint as the Blade. Someone did mention to me that Perfect Draft Pro pulls a better pint and keeps them at a better temperature compared to the standard perfect draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,263 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I have the Perfectdraft Pro, and the beers are great. Good variety with different seasonal beers, Oktoberfest beers will be launching in a few weeks. The big downside is the running costs, I put a monitor on mine and it averages around €16 a month in electricity costs and the fans tends to run loud in the Summer when it gets into the mid to high 20's, especially when keeping beers at lower temps. So I end up keeping mine off a lot of the time because of this, and just transferring the keg from the fridge to the machine when having a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Would you not be lashing throught the kegs? They seem very small.

Advertisement