Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It cemented to me that he is a bench player, he barely has the gas for 50 minutes. Ryan is a 80 minute player, it could allow McCarthy to put in a huge shift for 50-55 minutes then come off for Snyman.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

Jordie Barrett is obviously an excellent, top tier rugby player who will bring a huge amount of experience, class, skill, versatility and hard edge to Leinster, but watching the game on Saturday morning, I did find myself wishing it was Beauden instead of Jordie that was arriving.

I just feel on reflection that Jordie is a little bit too similar to what we already have, albeit an upgrade on plenty of our current squad obviously, but what we don't have in our backline is that kind of game breaking pace.

Obviously, you can only sign who happens to be available at a point in time but still feel if we were to bring in a unicorn style Kiwi back as an import, there are a few I'd have preferred to have instead of Jordie.

EDIT: This may come across as a real first world problem style post, but just being honest when I actually assess our squad and our needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I would absolutely rather have Moloney than him.

We've gotten the least useful Barret to address our issues, as brilliant of a player that Jordie is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We'll have four months to figure out where exactly Barrett fits so I'm not too concerned. The biggest question marks for me now are where Frawley and Osborne play.

It's clear that our coaches don't see the former as a starting 10, but the struggles of the Byrne's and the youth of Prendergast means we need to try something different for next season. That play inside the 22 to loop around the Bok defence then put in a beautiful grubber for a huge territorial gain is not something many 10's would have contemplated.

Osborne has played primarily as a centre, mostly due to injuries at 12, but excelled against the World Champions playing at full back. He has leapfrogged JOB who started there for a lot of Leinster's knock out games. I'm not suggesting he start ahead of Keenan or Ringrose/Henshaw, but maybe a spot on the wing is open at least for now? Don't think Larmour or JOB have ever quite nailed that position down in the same way Lowe and Keenan have theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You can't be serious. Coming off the bench with 25 mins let, RG is a big impactful player. Moloney is decent, but never played for Ireland because he isnt that good, and he doesn't have the impact.

When tge dust settles and everyone gets over the late tackle on Casey, there won't be anyone wishing Moloney was coming off the bench instead of RG.

Moloney has shown his value many times, being key in our games when we hammered Toulouse. In addition, he had the value of availability, playing in load of games during the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Prendergast will be 22 at the end of next season - I think being starting 10 for Leinster should absolutely be a reasonable target for him.

The Leinster coaches don't see Frawley as a 10 (and I largely agree with them) but it's also clear that Farrell does. We can't afford to be giving time to 4 flyhalves and the priorities should be whoever we think is currently starter and Prendergast. Trying even to have Ross and Frawley sharing the big games with Prendergast behind is mostly just going to confuse things and delay Prendergast's development. It's really not an easy situation, though the performances in training and at the start of the season will obviously play a large role.

I'd say Osborne might find himself in a somewhat fluid back 3 on the right wing but exchanging with Keenan. Bad news for Larmour mostly I think.

I didn't say he doesn't have value. I did say there won't be anyone wishing Moloney was coming off the bench instead of RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

When RG came off the bench after a few mins at weekend I seen this as a huge plus for Ireland. He is not a 80 or a 70 min player.

Yes a 30 min impact sub he is great, I would want to see him rolling off

But if a player picks up an injury after 2 mins and you have the choice, Im going Moloney

• Advertisement

Does Farrell?
    Or does he see him as the perfect 23

Just because he hasn't played for Ireland doesn't mean he is that good

In front of him was Ryan, Hendo and Beirne. Now of course Big Joe

That is not a bad selection of players, he has played exceptional for Leinster and in the big final v La Rochelle he wasn't the problem.

RG reputation has grown massively because he isn't playing, people seem to think he is incredible because he throws a good offload. When he has had to play an entire game its a mess, like Osprey he wasn't great and they are no great shakes.

I hope he is a success, he has a few games left for SA and based on history come start of season he will probably be out for 6 months.

RG played a bit in the world cup and SA did alright...

Someone spaffed-off an opinion that Moloney is better than RG (they said they'd prefer Moloney to RG) and that just doesn't work in reality.

I said nobody will see RG come off the bench and wish Moloney was coming on instead. I think that's absolutely true. No shade at Moloney, he's decent. But let's be serious.

"played a bit" is the best description

RG as I siad is an impact sub, 30 mins max. Rolling him off any earlier and it just doesn't work. As I said if it was after 5 mins then yes a strong case for Moloney could be made

Moloney was an excellent servant for Leinster and his performance v TOulouse was incredible, have you seen RG give a performance like that?

Maybe RG is better, maybe he is as good as people say he is. But still waiting for him to show it. Personally based on Ryan/Big Joe performance he will be an impact sub for Leinster, nothing more

I didn't spaff off an opinion, it's a clear eyed assessment of the value he can bring vs Snyman. A combination of McCarthy, Ryan and Moloney is a better one than McCarthy, Ryan and Snyman. Can't say I noticed Snyman doing anything of significance over the last 2 weeks, bar injuring Casey.

He's being built up into some sort of rugby Colossus. He's not Skelton, he doesn't blow teams away. In terms of his value to a team, he's less than Kleyn frankly. Who also played in a WC but no would claim he's a world beater. As a comparison to Moloney, lest you forget, his quality with the ball is good enough to be studied by the Crusader's coaches. Who happen to be NZ's coaches now. He's a very, very good player.

I suppose at a stretch you could argue Moloney would be more useful over a season but I don't care so much about over the season - Deeny can handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

If Snyman can stay fit, he's obviously a significantly better player than either Jenkins or Molony.

However, between his injury-proneness and his Boks commitments, I think there's a fair argument that either of the other two would actually be more valuable over the course of the season.

Jenkins started well, then his form fell off a cliff in first season. Was he injured?

Actually last season seemed the opposite and he done well at the end of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 thePigeon_

Will a full squad our bench is going to be a serious weapon next season:

Boyle
    Barron (not ideal but hopefully he pushes on)
    Slimani
    Snyman
    Baird / Conan
    Foley
    Frawley / Prendergast
    Osborne / Henshaw / Barrett

Yeah, even if we ship a few injuries anywhere but the front 5 we should still have a very strong bench.

So no example?

I didn't think so

RG came over to Ireland and his reputation has grown now to been one of the best second rows in the World? based on what I have yet to see.

He came to Munster from Japan, hardly the hardest league in the World.

As I said before I hope he is a success but from what I can see his reputation isn't coming from big performances in big games. The odd cameo as a sub doesn't make him one of the best players in the World

Double post

Or we move on from the Byrnes and split the majority of game time between Prendergast and Frawley. If both of them go belly up we know what Ross can do and can bring him back in after the 6 nations.

There's a chance that Frawley doesn't really work out as a starting 10, but he's very clearly a great bench option. All going well Prendergast is going to work out as a starting 10. Two outhalfs isn't enough to get us through the season (before injuries) so there will be minutes available regardless, but I really think we need to be purposeful with where we put the majority of minutes going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Huge opportunity for Barron and McKee to dual it out over next season.

Both have shown glimpses of being a more than capable pro. While McKee finished the season behind Barron I do think he has a higher ceiling. This season will show.

Think Boyle does have to be backed at the earliest possible opportunity. Light a fire under Milne too.

There is serious impact to be seen next season for sure. Exciting times

That post makes no sense. You say to move on from both Byrnes and then admit only 2 10's is not enough

Waiting for half the season to be over before making a decision on the 10 will probably have us out of Europe and in a difficult position in an ever increasing difficult league

Predergast even going well, I doubt he will be able to take over the starting 10 role this season, unless he has a huge preseason and builds himself up. Especially in those big European games.

Predergast got significant minutes last season, I expect that to increase. H Byrne played the majority of games last year at 10 and I don't really expect that to change. Maybe we will see a drop off in minutes for Ross as we move on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭EarWig

In the normal run of things, if Leinster wanted to give Leo a contract extension, when during the year would that be given?

Advertisement