Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior minister refused communion - ‘excommunicated’

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Why should you care what I have to say about what say the father should have? You have indicated your stance to suggest unless they can carry the child for 9 months, they should have no say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Upandout

As a woman who has birthed live and dead babies. I can tell you pregnancy is potential life, you ignorant person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Doc07

I never said they represented hierarchy but they surely represent his peers?
    why are they wrong and this individual correct (not on the pedantics of abortion and mortal sin ) but on the treatment of the TD in the church, who like the vast majority of catholics in Ireland voted yes in the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,243 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Storm in a communion chalice.

The present Irish RCC dares not get too dogmatic with its current flock, because then a sizeable chunk of the population wouldn't be left in the door.

Don't bite the hands that feed you, even if they are bouncy castle catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As for the OP, I actually spend a while trying to get disassociated from the Catholic church using the old defection process. They unfortunately changed cannon law though so people couldn't use it anymore.

I wonder is this perhaps a new way of 'getting out'? Could I email a bishop and tell them I fully support abortion up to full term (!) to get excommunicated I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭uptherebels

I don't care, but I'm interested what possible say you think they should have. I'm assuming you are avoiding answering the question because you already know how bad your stance is

Take a look at the below link. The ACP are not singing from the same hymn sheet as church teaching.

https://www.reuters.com/article/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pope-warns-catholic-politicians-who-back-abortion-idUSL09563188/

Sure give it a go. Let me know how you get on.

When you get personal and delve into name calling, you lose the right to engage in conversation/debate. Come back when you learn to behave in a dignified manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Equating the catholic church to Nazi Party is reprehensible. There is no equivalence.

I'm pointing out how ridiculous your handwashing is. You're excusing paedophiles and murderers and those who kept the paedos and murderers safe from justice for, literally, a hundred years. The Nazi party never killed any Jews, only their members did" is exactly what you're saying, only using the church instead.

I have no disdain for women. None. What you are doing is living in denial. No one has right over another.

More hypocrisy. Nobody has the right over another, yet you think you have the right over what women do with their own body. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so disgusting.

It may have been untrue in the past. But not now.

More handwaving away and pretending all is rosy in the garden. "In the past"……you make it sound like it was centuries ago…..the blasphemy nonsense was removed from the constitution around the same time Covid appeared. You're ignoring the countless other influences they still have on culture and life in Ireland. And you're also glossing over the fact that there are huge swathes of the church-going population (including everyone in the church hierarchy) who want it all brought back. Hell even yourself, I'd wager, would welcome back the 8th amendment, the blasphemy laws, gay marriage ban and plenty of the rest.

All available.

So I can buy alcohol before 12:30pm on Sundays now, can I?

No. The church exists to preach the good news of the gospel. You don't like that. The church is there to advise the faithful.

LOL…….Advise the faithful on………what? How to live their lives, that's what. And chastise the infidels for not living the way they want them to…….aka telling people how to live their lives.

Are they dragging you to church? If not, you are exercising your option to not be catholic. Observance of Sundays and Holy Days of obligation are mandatory. For Catholics.

They still count me as a Catholic because I can no longer avail of an option to remove myself from their stats. They did this deliberately, because people were leaving in their droves. Fewer members = less power. They STILL want to control all of the sh1t they controlled for decades, it's just that they can't. They want to force everyone to be Catholic.

Here we go again. It all boils down to this.
    Have you heard of a recent case of a priest getting moved around and covering this up?

Ah it hasn't happened recently, has it not? Well then, that's okay, all's forgiven so. What's the time limit then? At what point does it not become relevant because it was too long ago? Is ten years ago count as recent? Y'know, when Pope Francis brought a known abuser with him to the Holy Land? And do you hold those who get an abortion to those same term limits or are you a complete hypocrite about that too?

Also, you need to learn how to quote properly. Replying to your hypocritical drivel is enough of a pain in the hole already without having to do your admin work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

Late to the party….(a party that seems to involve the typical cohort of anti-choice voters who didn’t really like how Irish democracy produced a…well…*democratic* result) but I’m surprised we’re not focusing on the core issue here:

I had no idea that publicy going out there and declaring your respect for Women’s bodily automomy was the Magic Ticket to get your membership to the RCC pulled?!

Jesus, Mary and Jimbo; I should go get a loud speaker and the proudly declare on the steps of the nearest RCC Church that I feel that women should have control of their own bodies, that they should be regarded as equals (I know, a controversial Hippie ideal..but I hold it) and that maybe promoting contraceptives is great way to limit STDs and nasty little illnesses like AIDS.

I would then kindly like to have my excomunication. Ideally, if I could choose, delivered by the guy who played Bishop Brennan and delivered in his classic Father Ted fury. I’m sure they can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not a supporter of them myself but think this Fr Gabriel Burke is going a bit off piste here as far as dem oul sins are concerned .

The ACP , Association of Catholic Priests , have made a statement about this .

Apparently they feel its hypocritical after looking the other way for years when desperate women had to travel for abortions or suffer to now be excommunicating parishioners willynilly .

That the matter was something to be discussed pastorally and left to a person's own conscience . And that they did not own the Eucharist so did not have the right to decide who should and should not receive it .

Not only that but Pope Francis doesn't want people excommunicated either .He said in 2021 he wants people " dealt with pastorally " without public condemnation , if people not in line with church teachings .

All very good and enlightened from the church so far you say ?

Except Fr Gabriel ...He says that the Pope doesn't know what he is talking about :) that abortion had not been introduced when the Pope was a Bishop in Buenos Aires And that the junior minister had automatically excommunicated himself when he voted for abortion legislation , something that is beyond the Pope, Canon law , excommunication ..fully automatic!

Have to say this is a hilarious turn in the proceedings .

The priest is going off on his own little journey here it appears 😁

Its' in yesterday' s Irish Times but had to share the story in case its behind a paywall , and link doesn't appear to be working today .

Ah here we go ..

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/07/14/priest-group-condemns-refusal-of-communion-to-cork-td-who-supported-repeal-of-eighth-amendment/

When you learn to conduct yourself in a suitable manner and not make accusations without foundation, and take things to a petty level of not quoting properly, I may engage with you.

Not everyone is adept at using the quote marks to your liking. And I couldn't care less whether or not my posts meet your OCD requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭circadian

I hope they are not singing from a 2007 Ratzinger quote anyway.
    I said previously forget the semantics and cannon law etc, the APC in 2024 in Ireland have made a statement and they are absolutely not going to be excommunicated for it. So why is their opinion of how the priest treated the TD (yes back to the OP) so wrong ?

I do not have the right to condemn. Or to judge.

And yet, you did just that in the previous sentence when you said……."Or maybe it's common decency and a tendency to want to do what's right". That's you condemning and judging people for having a different viewpoint that doesn't fit with your own narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thing is , if they did still automatically excommunicate every body connected or voting for abortion worldwide how many would the RCC be able to claim as it's members ?

Think the Pope is far more realistic than some of these crazy zealots who would happily have the church pared back to people like themselves .

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c84j07d0j92o&ved=2ahUKEwifyo72s6mHAxXnS0EAHeZlCgYQFnoECBcQBQ&usg=AOvVaw2GaOr7nk9-0P4FQOJosUJL

These guys are destroying their own church and all for some ill conceived power trip .

They need to follow the money like the RCC has always done in the past ..less members of a church less priests less funds and donations rolling in .

Think this priest and others like him should be sent on a barefoot pilgrimage in some cold frugal place for a while to contemplate their existence , and maybe get a taste of what it might be like in the future if they continue down this very hardline route .

Can see many returning to their comforts and being more amenable after a retreat like that .

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Upandout

When you tell a woman pregnancy isn't potential and she has delivered live and dead babies, that is ignorance. But as you appear to believe you have the right to tell women what to do why should I expect less you literally proved my point.

All pregnancies are potential and any woman who has been pregnant you don't ever take it for granted.

I really hope your kind are on the decrease and that eventually equality and equity become a reality because I hate that yet another generation of women have to put up with the same level of abuse and bullying.

Translation:

"I have lost the debate because I cannot string two words together properly to refute your arguments. Instead of turning tail and fleeing like the coward I am, I am now going to attempt to take the higher ground and pretend that the reason I'm not responding to your valid, well-thought and well-made points is because I am a better person when, in reality, it is because I cannot."

Bold move. What are you gonna do when you have to ignore everyone?

• Advertisement

I judge my own actions, not others.
    Everyone has to live within their own lives, and live by their conscience.
    But it must be an informed conscience.
    You cannot claim to be catholic and ignore catholic teaching.
    If you aren't catholic, then you do not need to be guided by church teaching, and simply go by the laws of the state. Abortion is there for those who wish to avail of it. The church cannot prevent abortions happening, can it?

It boils down to the whole point of a politician not following the teachings of his own church, and being surprised by not being able to avail of the sacrament.

Again, you resort to something unbecoming of a civilized discussion. You bait, and want a retort.
    Quite reprehensible.
    When you come back with some manners, I will engage with you.
    But do bear in mind I am not as proficient with computers as you might be.

So Answer the question and prove my assumptions wrong.

What say should the father have?

No, it boils down to you being a raging hypocrite. You're speaking out of both sides of your mouth, telling people to follow your words, not your actions. "Do as I say, not as I do", sorta thing.

You told the other person that your actions and thoughts are "common decency" and "what is right".

That means that anyone who doesn't agree with your actions and thoughts is not decent and wrong.

That is you both judging them and condemning them in the same breath.

With your very next breath, you then say you don't have the right to condemn or judge anyone.

1st ballot, hall of fame hypocrite.

sorry it doesn’t just boil down to that.

It also boils down to a priest doing a solo run that is not supported by his peers , the current Pope and the majority of Catholics in Ireland.

It takes two to conceive. Surely it should be equal.

The hilarious thing is. Even if you are excommunicated. You are still a member of the church.

If only the catholic church were a democracy where we could vote on matters of morality and dogma, you might have a point. But it isn't.

You haven't replied properly, because you can't. Your entire argument is in the toilet.

That's okay, you keep pretending that it's everyone else being uncivil and lacking in manners after telling the lady who had a miscarriage that she was being undignified for calling you ignorant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,750 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Because the individual priest is acting in accordance with the written Canon Law, which the ACP are choosing to ignore - they’re undoubtedly familiar with it, but they choose to engage in misrepresentation for their own purposes so that those people who don’t know any better will rely on them for guidance, as is happening here where they have chosen to misrepresent Pope Francis’ opinions to suggest support for something he doesn’t.

Pope Francis is a notorious fence-sitter, but he knows too where the lines are drawn and he doesn’t over-step his authority, whereas the ACP harbour no such restraint:

https://apnews.com/article/pope-francis-joe-biden-communion-d58f0eec9ac1a1ff576e38fb85bf532f

There also appears to be some confusion surrounding the concept of excommunication. It’s not a means of leaving the Church, it’s more akin to a suspension of privileges, meaning those members of the Church who are in a state of excommunication should not receive the membership benefits so to speak. They’re still members of the Church.

Advertisement