Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options
1838485868789»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,831 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

For me, Clifford is an above average forward, no more.

Picking the best Kerry forwards I have seen would be Gooch, Fitzgerald, Spillane, Sheehy, Liston and Donaghy, with John Egan, James O'Donoghue and Ger Power next in line after that, all of them multiple All-Ireland winners, all of them contributing hugely to the game. Clifford isn't a multiple All-Ireland winner, he starred in one All-Ireland final, even this year, Con O'Callaghan, having a bad year, has scored more from play despite dropping out a round earlier.

Clifford might still leave a mark, but the years are passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Rosita

Your last paragraph makes absolutely no sense. A few vague baseless assertions that weaken an otherwise strong pro-Clifford argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭Rosita

Maurice Fitzgerald started for Kerry in one All Ireland final, and maybe won a second as a sub, so if you are making the winning of multiple All Irelands a criterion you have already ruled out one of the players you mention.

Always thought the winning of All Ireland medals as a measure of a player quite strange. I'd put Conor McManus ahead of the majority of All Ireland winners I've seen but he never even played in a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,747 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

People forget that Maurice FitzGerald played for years during Kerry's "famine", he could easily have ended up like Benny Coulter from Down with nothing to show for his talents.

When judging players I pay more attention to the league than the championship to be honest. At least teams are playing teams at a similar level, so you can see who the stand out players are and gauge levels of play better.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭spurshero

some people think Clifford is a great some don’t . Whatever side your on fair enough . But it’s getting tiresome . The man is an amateur player . Not sure he deserves all this critique .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Gael85

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭Gael85

Galway forwards were quiet enough. It was scores from their defenders Silke and McHugh that got them over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Padraic Joyce really does have a good record managing Galway against Ulster teams. In 21 games in league and championship he has won 17 with only two losses and two draws. One of the losses was in last years championship against Armagh while one of the draws was a few weeks ago against Armagh in the group stage. A pretty impressive 80% win ratio.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley at

Advertisement