Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Harry played the majority of games cause Ross was injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Moloney's really a (admittedly much better) Aly Muldowney style player. Great system fit and great distribution, but lacking the physical tools for a top second row. A few years ago he was singled out as emblematic of Leinster's lack of physical bench impact in big games (despite, as being pointed out above, him not exactly doing much wrong in those games) and ultimately that's for a reason. He was a great club servant and a Billy Holland quality player, and there's nothing wrong with that.

However, a fully fit (admittedly a big caveat) Snyman makes the team ahead of him for a cup final ten times out of ten. McCarthy-Ryan-Snyman is undeniably better than McCarthy-Ryan-Moloney if you're choosing a team to play LAR or Toulouse tomorrow.

At the same time, Snyman is a luxury player. He's a great asset in a dominant Leinster attacking system, but is he the first guy you'd want out there defending a two point lead in the seventy-eighth minute when you're under the pump? Arguably not. But he does stuff, even at international level, that Moloney couldn't do at URC level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Snyman is not very likeable. Good players but a plonker, imo. Hopefully, he contributes positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

Don't think this is fair, or where "plonker" is coming from.

We, as Irish fans, didn't like the hit on Casey or the immediate high fiving etc after it, but it's stuff that happens in the game routinely.

He's not exactly an outspoken guy and hasn't really been overly involved in controversy in his time in Ireland for him to be perceived as not likeable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,226 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What do you want an example of? You want me to give you an example of why a player who is an impact sub for the current world champions is better than a player who has never gotten an Ireland cap?

Yeah, I have no examples. You're right I take it all back. Next season when RG comes on at 55mins, we'll collectively sigh and wish Moloney was coming on instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Snyman is a sight to behold when he gets into a bit of space and can get his hands free to offload. He’s also shown an ability to score from a few metres out this year on numerous occasions with Munster. No idea what level his 2nd row basics of rucking, mauling and scrum power are like (maybe someone else can comment on that?) but the flashy stuff definitely seems best suited to a role off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

He theoretically can do things, the reality tells a different story. Does the chance of an amazing offload outweigh being able to call the lineout, play for a full 80 if needed, be an integral part of the passing attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

Yes it does. The reason why Moloney wasn't selected for the business end of the season, he's just not big enough for the top level unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thePigeon_

By "move on" I mean deprioritise.

We've 4 senior 10s right now and you think the guy who'll play the most minutes next year is the only one we didn't bring to South Africa for the URC semi..

I'd start the season with a view to splitting minutes between Frawley and Prendergast. We've 6 games before the Autumn Internationals and Prendergast looks likely to miss rounds 3 and 4 with Emerging Ireland anyway.
    Start Prendergast in rounds 1 and 2. Frawley in rounds 3 and 4. Either/or for 5 and 6.

Then there's the AI's which they'll probably both be away for, before coming back with another 3 URC and 4 CC games before the 6 Nations gets going. I'm not suggesting we go half the season before making a decision on the 10, I'm saying we give two players a proper opportunity to compete over who's starting and who's benching.

There'll be additional minutes for at least one of Ross/Harry and possibly both but I think it's time for Leo to be more ruthless. Harry and Ross had the lion's share of minutes at 10 this season, with Harry also being in the 6 nations squad, and where that ended up was Harry watching the Bulls game from 10,000km away and subsequently both of them watching the SA series from 10,000km away.

Are you saying CC semi finals and finals aren't big games now?

• Advertisement

But Moloney didn't play the final this year? And he was only in the semi cause Ryan wasn't available.

Just going to ignore all the previous years then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

I wanted an example of a huge performance from Snyman which you can point to which people can think of with Moloney

A big 80 minute performance.

Not sure what the last part fo the post is about, I said he was an impact sub but coming on after 5 mins he isn't

I'm not ignoring them, but it does rather seem like it was identified as an issue which is why they've gone out and got Snyman and let Molony go. When they had other options he was not selected.

I like Molony and he was a great squad player, but he was absolutely our weakest forward in all those big matches that he did play in.

Frawley won't be available til probably European games as he has been in SA

Predergast will have extended summer as well and will probably just go straight into the the EI tour if he goes

Not sure why you think it is so relevant the location of Harry for the Bulls game. They don't bring the entire squad and Frawley was clearly going to be the number 23 on the bench.

It was our most important game left in the season, and if anything happened to either Frawley or Ross then Prendergast was coming in because he actually travelled. And was on the bench in the QF too…

All logic suggests that Prendergast is already ahead of Harry Byrne.

That's not really logic.

It's taking very little information and getting the answer you wanted in the first place.

I will wait to see how they line up next season before I say who is behind or in front.

In terms of H Byrne, people seem to have taken the Ulster game, blamed him for the loss when it wasn't his decision to take the kick, it was Ryan's and decided that is why he didn't travel.

The information is that 2 or 3 other players were ahead of him in all of the most important games to end the season. 2 in the CC knockouts for certain and 3 in the URC knockouts.

He might come back from that and start off the season amazingly, but there is no other takeaway from the end of season matches other than he fell to 4th choice. That is the starting point. He didn't travel because he was the 4th choice 10 - why else would he not have travelled?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

… they've gone out and got Snyman and let Molony go.

This seems to indicate that, if Snyman was viewed purely as a replacement for Molony (which is not necessarily the case), the coachs preferred Snyman. Molony's departure to a 3 yr contract with Bath might infer his knowing that his role would largely be as an 'impact sub' and Snyman's recruitment was as a replacement in that role. We'll have to wait & see if Snyman turns out to be a better player in that role. Fair to say that he'll have to go some before the Leinster faithful think he's worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Andy Farrell calling for Frawley to play more 10. Agreed.

• Advertisement

He's not a direct replacement obviously as he'll never play as many games. Snyman is more a replacement for Jenkins really, but I also think our top 3 rotation was pretty clearly Ryan/McCarthy/Jenkins by the end of the season.

It's a risk given his injury record to be honest as if he's not available we are looking at Baird or Deeny playing second row in a big game.

Have to think that Jenkins superseding Moloney was directly related to playing La Rochelle. Moloney had no issues playing Toulouse or anyone else

He superseded him against Toulouse in the last final as well. Albeit as we completely changed our gamestyle.

Molony is a great squad player, but I think some people are making him out to be more than he was. He was a weak link in the two LAR finals and there is a reason he was never within a sniff of a cap really. I think saying he lacks something at the top end is perfectly fair.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That's not really logic. 

It's taking very little information and getting the answer you wanted in the first place.

And similarly, it’s not too long ago you were claiming Harry Byrne was 2nd choice for Ireland after 33 minutes in the 6 Nations, when there were injuries to Ross Byrne and Frawley at various stages.

Imo, you’ve a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Harry Byrne. It think it’s relatively clear he’s slipped a good bit down the pecking order.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Which Ulster game are you talking about here?

It was Harry Byrne who failed to find touch with his penalty at the very end of the game in January when Ulster won. Can't blame anyone other than Harry Byrne for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

RG could absolutely be the difference maker in a European Cup knock out game. I agree he is not great when on from the start but his impact off the bench in the world cup semi final won the Boks a game they were in deep trouble in. Leinster don't need much to get over the line, most times their replacements are not as good as the starters, you could argue he raises the level but only for 20-30 mins.

As I said I will see at start of next season what the setup will be

If Predergast is ahead then it is some jump for him in a short space of time. I still don't see Leinster using Frawley as a 10.

In reality the performance of Harry last season I would of had him ahead of Ross, Ross had a good game v La Rochelle but not great rest of season.

Long term a combo of Harry/Sam I think will offer more to Leinster.

Yes, it is a new season with new opportunities and the dynamics change. But I'm not arguing where you or I would have had him, the Leinster coaches very definitively had him as fourth choice at the end of the season. There is no if on this, Prendergast jumped ahead of him. Harry may get back ahead in the new season, but when 3 flyhalves travel for the most important remaining game in the season and you are left at home healthy, then you are fourth choice.

I agree that Harry would be a better backup than Ross if they both slip down the depth chart. However, with the season he had, if that was not enough to convince the coaches to back up and instead they all but discarded him I don't think he has much chance of anything else.

Two flew, Frawley is an impact sub who covers a number of positions and as we seen all season Leinster didn't start him at 10 unless they had no other option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement