Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassination attempt on Donald Trump - threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Apparently that is common practice. (I don't know if that is true). That they can't open fire on a suspect until they open fire first.

It's hard to know truth from fiction, but I have heard it said he (the Secret Service guy who had a direct line of sight on the suspect before he shot) was waiting for instruction that didn't come…

How Trump wasn't evacuated in that time is a mystery that we will never know the answer to…

1 How did the young fella manage to evade security and find himself in the best possible position to strike Trump.

2 How come the Secret Service guy who obviously saw the suspect did not shoot first.

There is some amount of f##k ups to find ourselves in that situation, I'd imagine Trump gets multiple death threats on a daily basis…so it's not like he wasn't a security risk.

The head of the Secret Service should step down immediately, what was visible to the world is how incompetent the Secret Service were before and after the shooting. Her reputation should be in tatters at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yep, but could you imagine the state of things if that bullet hit Trump in the forehead. Aside from raving lunatics popping champagne corks, it would be the worst thing possible for that place.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭nachouser

An American 20 year old who decides to try to gun down an ex-President isn't displaying normal human behaviour. I doubt it really matters which side, if any, of the political spectrum he might have belonged to. I'm of the "his dog told him to do it" line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭randomuser02125

Trump is a clueless moron who doesn't even read. All the things you say are true but the real danger comes from his backers. For example, did you see that heritage foundation arsehole last week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

obviously goes without saying but never look a gift horse in the mouth. Just look at his fist in the air photo op within seconds of been shot at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭rogber

Slightly bizarre article but amidst all the bluster probably is on to something about the power of the image and its associations with political resistance imagery and Christian imagery. Trump is many awful things, but he is a publicity phenomenon that will be studied for decades to come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Let's be honest, that's your line of thinking. Not everyone's.

If the shooter was a dyed hair "member" of Antifa, the sh*t would have gone down and I am 100% certain there would have been murders of suspected "members" of Antifa, and riots on the street from both sides after it.

That's my line of thinking, and why I am very thankful it looks like he wasn't, but it does look like he was a Republican. I would not be surprised if he was out to martyr Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Yes, I most certainly can. I don't think another thread would add anything though, I assume it has all been the subject of vitriol for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah, while everything we’ve heard so far has pretty much ruled out the idea of him being some kind of left wing / democrat ideologue, it does fit the sadly all too familiar school shooter profile.

I don’t think they are generally driven by political differences with those in the school they shoot up, just mental cases wanting to go down in a burst of notoriety in a country that makes it all too easy to access the weapons that allow them to do so.

I would tend to agree with you.

But there is that niggle, how did he manage to do it…I've seen a Presidential Security bubble up close, I'd imagine a few us of have over the years…those lads are thorough, the person bring protected is one of the most secure people on the planet….until a disaffected young fella with a rifle crawls up the the most obvious vantage point and took 5 shots coming within 3 mms of blowing the head off the Presidential front runner despite vocal warnings from members of the public that he there was a shooter with a rifle targeting Trump.

It's a lot to swallow.

Remember, what saved his life wasn't a misfire, wasn't saved by the Secret Service, he moved his head….that is why he isn't dead right now.

• Advertisement

I heard Trump and his family pick their preferred secret service agents. Not sure if true.
    Would also reckon he wouldn’t receive the same protection as a serving president.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,594 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's already too late in this respect.

The rhetoric of the 'Ireland First' or whatever they're calling themselves is literally a carbon copy of MAGA rhetoric and Reform UK rhetoric we've seen grow over the last 5-8 years.

They are united in having very little to offer society through governance other than regressive policies. Trump had his MAGA government already and failed to deliver on all the things he said he would. The UK is suffering under Reform's ideal which was Brexit and thankfully, in Ireland, our versions are thus far limited mostly to county and city councilors who have yet to figure out the limits of the offices they actually hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

by definition no of course not, POTUS has more layers of security than most of us will ever know, but the obvious ones not available to other details are The Beast etc and the White House itself is a total fortress, again protected by military hardware the public will hopefully never see the full scope of.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The building was in the area under police control not secret service.

He moved his head because he turned to threaten a police officer who was investigating the roof. Police were checking it out following public raising the alarm.

Didnt seem to be integrated live comms between the secret service and police.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

You misunderstand me, what saved Trump was the fact that he, as in Trump, moved his head which is why he was only grazed, the difference between life and death.

I gotta tell you, what you have outlined is the kind of amateur set up you'd expect from us, what I have witnessed first hand, is how thorough the Secret Service are, they seal all manholes within a 3km radius, every vantage point of the stage is in a controlled zone, which is why we haven't seen something like this in decades, are are hundreds of people who have a desire to kill the President…

What we all witnessed was shambolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭nachouser

Occam's razor would suggest complacency. It was a very rural area in PA.

If anyone was ever in doubt that the GOP wasn’t now a a trump cult just watch the RNC taking place now. Wow.

But that only makes it more bizarre, it wasn't like they were surrounded by sky scrapers with thousands of windows. This would have been a much easier environment to secure…remember, the lad crawled to within about 100m of Trump to the best possible position a sniper could have gotten for himself…, with a rifle straped to him, and with members of the public filming him and shouting at the police.

Trump moved his head gotcha.

But also the shooter was disturbed by the police officer and then turned to rapidly fire off shots at Trump.

How long was Trump speaking for?

Unclear why the shooter delayed so long as he was on the roof for minutes before firing the shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Now that he has had time to think about it it has to be playing on Trumps mind a bit how close he came to dying.

I know nothing about guns but some guy was being interviewed yesterday and he was saying the kid was using the wrong kind of gun for sniper work.

I honestly don't know.

I do know, because there is video proof, that the lad was filmed for 2 minutes positioning himself with his rifle, and people were shouting at the police to do something before we saw him shoot.

It's bizarre set of events.

I'd like to believe/accept that the guy was working alone and was just a radicalized poor misfortune.

I do find it hard to accept that a young fella could find himself with a clear 130ft unobstructed view of Trump without some kind of assistance.

And I'm pretty sure if this was Putin or Orban's chief political opponent that just suffered an assassination attempt a lot of posters on here would be singing a completely different tune.

A bolt action precision rifle with scope would be the go to.

Slovak PM Fico suffered an assassination attempt... I dont remember people calling it an inside job.

Seems to be classic case of breakdown between two different agencies, local police and secret service... and possibly in the mix unclear rules of engagement, lack of liaison and integrated comms between them.

We won’t know much more until an investigation occurs. For all we know the hesitancy to fire on him is there was confusion about whether Crooks was a sniper on either the police or USSS security detail. It’s all pure speculation.

It wouldn't be first choice… according to Wall Street Journal:

Rarely has been used by snipers because of its limited range and relatively small bullet.

remember though that snipers are typically operating from much longer distances - this guy was 150 meters away from Trump or less, according to the interwebz, snipers typically operate between 300 to 600 meters, with exceptional shots taking place at beyond 800 meters, with fewer than 30 recorded kills beyond 1250 meters, the record holder being a Ukrainian sniper last year at 3,800 meters.

So yeah it might not be a snipers first choice but at this range - the photo speaks for itself, it was that close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,583 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Article on bbc saying the alleged gunman was a notoriously bad shot - so much so he was refused entry to the school gun club because his shot taking was so erratic it was seen as dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

TThere is no definitive way to say what causes a stroke. The coroner ruled natural causes. Police officers have tough lives. I couldnt possibly comment on that. Its not like a gunshot or a blow to the head.

Advertisement