Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myenergi question

Options
  • 15-07-2024 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello,

• I got solar panels installed last week
    • When I have nothing on in the house - it shows that the house is using 0 kWH. When I turn on the TV, oven etc. I can see it go up
    • Today it's been 0.2kWH consistently from the house when it's been empty
    • I have an air to heat pump but usually that fires up in the night with minimal usage.
    • I unplugged everything (even the fridge) to test what it could be and nothing.

Any thoughts please?

• The first spike is the dishwasher
    • The second is the kettle boiling
    • The third one I was out of the house
    • The fourth one was the kettle boiling.
    • I assumed the little peaks in the evening were air to heat pump but not so sure.

K

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭rob w

There is other stuff though that would draw power though that you cant just plug out - like a doorbell transformer, smoke detectors, oven (clock/electronics), the solar inverter itself consumes power, have you got any smart lightswitches/sockets that are consuming power when off?, electric gate controls, intercoms, alarm panels, heating controls etc - there is lots of potential sources of power draw there - they all add up!

Those short spikes you see every hour or so is the fridge compressor kicking in. Otherwise the fridge isnt really doing anything. Temp drops, it kicks in - cools down and goes off again.

My base load rarely drops below 180watts in the house

It could be an anomaly in the measurements of course, as in they aren't accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dublinman1013

Thanks. I don't understand then why it was 0kWH all last week though and now 0.1 since yesterday.

• I have a switch for the fridge on the wall and turned it off for a few minutes and made no difference.
    • If it's not the fridge - all I can think of is it's the air to heat pump but it's really warm outside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dublinman1013

I have a Aereco Demand Control Ventilation (DCV) system (whatever that is) - according to the manual.

Could it be that generating the 0.1kwh with the extra heat?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Possibly, warmer weather can drive up the humidity too.

Heatpump would be a much much higher spike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Following on from rob's comments above, the best way I've found to isolate usage (or at least help narrow the field) is to use the circuit breakers on your consumer unit. Turn off each individual breaker noting the drop (or not) in usage.

It might not get you the exist applicance/location, but you might then be aware it's downstairs/upstairs sockets etc. As rob mentions, there's a lot of things out there drawing a few watts here/there. Wifi routers, sky tv boxes, smoke alarms (mains fed), alarm systems, Alexa devices/google……etc

Advertisement