Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jisakix

Oh yeah, literal space is the problem for sure.

A disused paint factory in coolock, or a small village, those types seem to be far more prevalent than the wealthier areas, to wit, which have far greater space available. Not that it need be said why there is a proclivity to target politically minimised areas, but I'll say it anyway; it's easy, it's cheap, it's cowardly. That's why.

Your insinuations, by the way, are pathetic. Uncalled for, pathetic, and betray your seething anger at trying to personalise an argument. So first of all, I'm not from "there", and next I'm probably not even irish, and I'm importing crap?

Let me guess, im actually a combined russian spy, American redneck, Chinese instigator in your eyes?

Don't make stupid insinuations about me and then I won't make you look stupid. Another failure to recognise the difference between action and reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭Cody montana

But if that was the case there would have been a significant shift in the results of the last election.

There wasn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Rustyman101

Hi Golden maybe you know ?

What's the strategy what's the plan ?

Sure there must be some plan surely we are not importing thousands of people with very little job prospects & no accommodation without a cast iron plan.

Just wish someone would let me in on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭prunudo

Another day, another town, same result. Mixed emotions watching it all unfold, looking at live streams and tiktoks knowing full well what was in store for the community, a group of uniformed thugs running around intimidating local people, spraying innocent by-standers, pushing over elderly people to the ground. All in the name of a failed immigration policy, a policy that is deeply unpopular but those in power won't engage, won't listen and won't admit they have got it wrong.

Well done lads, you've created another group of citizens who have lost the trust in the countries police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Did you read the posts before you jumped in with 2 feet,I was responding to a poster who wanted to see the Garda engage in illegal and criminal activity against wrongdoers as part of the justice system.I was reminding him of our history and how when the state sanctions reprisals and terrorism against its own citizens it usually backfires.I am not surprised that you failed to comprehend the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It's curious how RTE are prominently reporting that a few Gardaí were injured today at Coolock, but there is no mention of injury to any of the local protestors. Were no members of the public injured and are some injuries more important than others?

Ah I think you reminding us just why the Blueshirts got that name..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The public by and large aren't overly concerned with injuries sustained by criminals engaging in riotous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

rte/pravda desperately trying to show government it will spin their bullshit no question.given the fact they need millions of €€€€€€ to keep them afloat is just a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 23,588 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You think those "citizens" didn't already detest the police?

Adorable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭prunudo

One thing is for sure, they aren't following protocols on use of pepper spray.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Not at all most democratic protests are planned for weekends so that more people can attend .

That"s when you will get the people who feel strongly about something AND have time off .

Protests on a Monday morning won't be attended by working people .

I think that is fairly simple to understand for you .

Are you saying that the more moderate views in Coolock don't count ,?

Edit typo most

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Would have thought that the idea of the news is to report on what happened not what people are or are not interested in.

My own personal opinion is that there is too much money involved. Way too much. The incentive to change is non existent, especially when it's only the forgettable areas acting up for now. Opinions could be 100% against it, but as long as the money is flowing and nothing actually happens, they'll continue along

Add in to that a sem interesting thread I read on reddit recently where someone compared the main parties by policy. It's like the teletubbies on a black and white telly, very hard to tell them apart.

Because this whole thing is based on willful ignorance, itll grow. Those comfortable will become less so, those hanging on will fall further, and so on.

Despite the appreciation in ordinary home values for occupiers, increasingly they'll find children returning or not leaving. Employment prospects dwindle, educational prospects dwindle yadda yadda. The end of tether comes closer.

Those stuck in forever extortionate rentals, it's mental effects, it's effect on relationships, children, ever increasing homelessness.

The only small cohort who will probably stick this out to the endpoiny are property investors. They'll find it a lonelier and more hostile prospect as things continue.

Essentially, the country is rotting, and it won't be until that rot reaches more people that action be demanded, not asked, in no uncertain way.

Greed. Its how it always end, badly. Just not yet. To anyone who doubts the inevitability, you probably find yourself avoiding the question more and more.

That's my opinion on the thin wedge of this refugee crisis.

That's a kinda dangerous read - so you're saying that the Gardái public order unit can more or less do what it pleases. As long as they beat 'baddies'? Maybe you'll be a 'baddy' some day when this crap show comes to your area??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,588 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yes they have recently .

No people aren't getting louder only certain groups would like to think that .

I expect we will work it out ourselves so you can go back to your keyboard and talk to or about another country .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yes, the policing and security service of the State should deal firmly with subversives who are at the end of the day primarily concerned with overthrowing the State. Ultimately that is what these people are, riotous criminals with no regard for the rule of law or respect for the institutions of the State. They are out of tune with public opinion, not the other way around.

This might come as a shock to you, but the vast majority of decent citizens are absolutely OK with riotous criminals getting battered off the streets.

Don't get me wrong - there were no doubt honest peaceful protesters in Coolock today. Those weren't the people attacking civilians, Gardaí and other public sector workers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭sekiro

All the guys will come here and help boost the economy. You'll see.

They'll all get high paying jobs and pay lots of taxes and buy loads of consumer goods and help pay for all the old people's pensions.

Then they'll all buy new homes that will be built over the next few years. New homes for everyone!

Then of course the Irish ladies will be lining up to start families with these fully integrated gentlemen.

You'll see. In a decade this country will be so much better than it has ever been.

Dublin city especially will be great with the canal all cordoned off so nobody can go for a nice walk there anymore. Nice walks by the canal are for right-wing scumbags anyway.

People always said that a big problem with Ireland is that we have so many young men with no facilities and no supports and no prospects and so they get angry and hooked on booze and drugs and cause social unrest and harm. So it's obvious that bringing in thousands more of the same young, hopeless, male demographic is the solution to our problems.

We used to worry that Ireland had a "rape culture" but adding lots and lots of males with bad attitudes regarding women will make things a lot better.

It's going to be great. It's going to be fine. Don't you worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,741 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

If i go around setting fire to stuff and shouting GEH DEM OUU and BURN DEM ALL, while being recorded and recording it myself like a fcking eejit, I'd expect to be battered by the gards. Then again if you're that stupid, you probably wouldnt be expecting any retribution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Kinda reminds me just before the property crash. People getting insanely rich. Then the party was over. The same will happen here i reckon.

Well then I'm sure the government will be equally obliging and only attempt to ram people into areas on the weekend too?

I doubt it.

Tell me what a moderate view looks like, in light of the worst housing crisis ever and neverending amounts of people arriving.

What's the middle ground on it, considering that in housing alone migration would have to stop entirely for a decade to even approach affordability?

My view is that "moderate" means "this is all crazy and must stop". Ultimately to be ignored, as demonstrated by numerous years on the go.

I have no seething anger lol. Have seen you come and pfft go before

No most areas of Dublin do not have undeveloped brown field sites that are available to build on ESPECIALLY wealthy areas .

Land and space is at a premium .

(If you were really from this country you would know that and the term for ethnic Irish , lol !)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,590 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Most of these individuals would be well known to the Gardai already - it's far from the first time they've had interactions with the local police. These would be your criminal underclass, the ones already causing grief for people in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So Alan Farell just said on virgin one that no community has a veto to stop these centers being set up.

What about the right to object to planning?

What about the government throwing planning laws out the window for these centers?

This all seems to be heading in a very dangerous direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭Cody montana

You know what, I like living here.

I think it’s a great country.

What I don’t like is violence on the streets and rioting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, had videos of 70 plus year olds getting pepper sprayed and people standing just taking videos getting sprayed

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Raichų

Photo evidence from the scene suggests the protesters are on the same wavelength as Homer Simpson and Moe Syzlack.

You cannot be serious.

If someone had told me x amount of years ago that there'd be hotels being burned and riots over migration, I would have said you were mad.

Fast forward a bit, the only crazy thing is that it has been allowed reach such boiling point.

As for you thinking this will blow over, it is, in real time, getting worse. When the government magics up a few hundred thousand homes, a couple of extra cities, a few more hospitals and prisons, then we'll see about calming down.

Thing is, I have a feeling that since it is monetarily backwards in terms of motivation, that's going to take a long, long time. A lot is going to happen before then, and who couldn't have predicted it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,547 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Advertisement