Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Box to box

Everything needs to be looked at. Kk have being fading badly out of games the last few years. I'm sure mickey and John Murphy are good coaches but I think its time kk follow every other county and get a high profile s&c coach with a impressive cv.Let's call a spade a spade they are too mean to spend money. It will be a very interesting few months to see the appointments at different grades. Kk desperately need a few good coaches involved. The senior back room team needs to be freshend up. County board have got alot of criticism they need to get appointments right.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Marrooned

is it possible to employ steam of s and c coaches to do all KK teams including development squads. Just an idea

I think sean Kelly is involved in s&c with the underage. There's no doubt our s&c has improved at underage particularly,infact if you look at the u20 team we were too big and slow in certain areas. Tactically we are a long way behind and this is a bigger problem.Minor and senior would of being much better had we people involved that were more tactically astute.i would be slow to be too critical on chaps u17 but management not pushing up and having backs mark each other was criminal.It's up to the county board to appoint managers and coaches who don't use dinosaur tactics. The u20 the team was set up arseways. It was touted here for months about certain areas on the pitch that weren't good enough. This was another year wasted at underage level. The county board need to pull out all the stops appointing u17 and u20 coaches.

I said s&c at senior level because we have being fading out of games the last few years. Like underage our senior team is poorly coached. Retreating and our defence lumping ball up to outmarked forwards is very poor. The older lads have given huge time and dedication to kk but no doubt we will see a lot of retirements this winter. Who do we think will go? Buckley,fogarty,wally, scruff?tj? As one door closes another will open for lads especially lads who have being in around the panel a few years. Next year is a big year for Derek. He had the comfort of going back to the tried and tested this year he won't have that luxury next year but kk need a injection of freshness. He had Shane Murphy,molloy and Owen Wall this year but when push came to shove this year he didn't trust them. He will have to trust them next year. If he is still there.

if he is still there is right. The county board isn’t going to shift the senior management if no one comes forward as a replacement. Personally I would sack all three management teams and start looking for replacements straight away, not waiting till October as I said earlier just pick the manager he can pick his backroom team after but he will be able to view all the relevant matches with the people he knows will make up his team.I can’t see any reason why there should be a delay in sorting this out as soon as possible and give the new managers every chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

"There's no doubt our s&c has improved at underage particularly,infact if you look at the u20 team we were too big and slow in certain areas."

Hahaha what?

(Don't get me wrong, you've posted some really good points lately, I've enjoyed reading your posts, but this just makes no sense. If they're too big and slow that's not an improvement, it's a misstep. You might argue the problem here is selection but it's definitely not a success for the s and c program)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Village87

Agree completely, Now is the time to appoint personnel. Club matches are really kicking into action over the next 6 weeks. This is where we will find what is needed for next year, u16 matches for next years minors. Minor and adult matches for next years u20s.

Id love to see Henry take the minor or the u20 position.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭jamesbond2022

Not a chance of any appointments being made before September

That would require progressive thinking something the county board seriously lack

The county board will do as they have always done and we ll continue to get the results we ve got the last few years

You can nearly bet that all three managements will be ratified for another year with some minor tweaks in selectors or coaches maybe

you’ve got to be kidding me. This cannot happen, as I said earlier if people get angry anything can happen. Definitely two out of the three management teams should go.I know these things can’t be rushed, but they should still be looking to see what’s available to them.

Nothing will change regarding the Co board unless there is a complete clear out of all the old heads that won’t happen for a few years no one has the balls to go against the established heads so they ll just keep plodding along taking the easy cheap option there so stuck in a time warp they can’t see that we need expertise from outside the county in relation to every area of the game is needed

We were once the market leaders in how to do do things now were well behind the curve

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Nedflanders02

You'd imagine there will be changes at minor and U20 level but I'd be shocked if there is a change at senior, as long as Lyng want's to be manager next year, and I've heard rumours regarding this, he will be and to be honest I do think that's right. I think his tenure so far has been mixed, but he was given a 3 year term and I don't think this year has been bad enough to now say he's been an unmitigated disaster and has to go. Last year he probably got an easy ride in the sense that he was taking over from Cody and people knew this would be a tough job and it looked like he had us going in the right direction. Fast forward 12 months and I think the management are right fully getting criticism for how this year has gone and some of the decision making. I think he has done enough to earn the last year of his term so hopefully we will see an improvement next year. A lot of people here are criticising the S&C department but I don't think there are any problems in that department, I think Michael Comerford and John Murphy with the seniors and Tom Aylward with the U-20's are doing a good job, I think the reason we are fading out of games is more of a mental issue and down to the fact that we are not comfortable enough in our game plan to be robust enough when the pressure starts coming on! I definitely think it would be more important to bring in a very good coach than to change S&C.

Final thing on the county board, I think we've all been very critical of them and but we had the perfect chance 2 years ago when the previous secretary and chairman stepped down to make a serious change. I personally spoke to 3 people who were very anti the previous CB regime and said that I would be able to make sure they were put forward for a vote at the convention to stand opposing the current chairman & secretary and all 3 declined stepping forward and I think that's the problem in Kilkenny at the minute. We have too many people who will criticise and give out about how much is going wrong but very few people who are willing to do anything about it. If we take this thread as a taste of the opinion and concerns that are in the county at the minute it's safe enough to say that there would be a good majority of people in the county that wants significant change at all levels in the county board, if that is the case now is the time to start making a move to make a change, all officers have to be re-elected at the convention and anyone can go to their club and ask that they nominate people for positions, if they nominated by the club and are put up before the convention it is then down to anyone who want's to challenge current incumbents to speak to delegates and put their points across to gain support.

• Advertisement

unfortunately you are right in everything you say but surely change is on the way

I didn't mean to make you laugh but I'm glad you find some some of my posts interesting. What I meant was kk have being years behind other counties regarding s&c. It's no secret a few years ago lyng had to fight tooth and nail so that his u20 could have access to better facilities. Underage teams are definitely physically better prepared now. Regarding the u20 it looked like a few of them were in fact too bulky and looked slow.its about getting the balance right. I think kk need to look at the s&c across the board but top priority has to be coaching. As Marrooned said there's no point going after lads in October. The u20 management has to be vacant so now is the time to be going after someone so they can get a backroom team and take in the club and underage. Im sorry but the minor management should be dismissed after that horror showso again appoint someone who can take in all the underage. No point arsing around in october . The county board need to be ruthless. The majority of kk supporters are sick of them now. Standards are standards and this isn't good enough. Senior needs to be freshened up. Selectors and coaches. There was a time years ago kk set standards. Counties came up and took a blueprint of what we were doing. Now we are relying on carlow to lend us a pitch to train. The county board should be ran out the door.

Very good but there has to always be a team ready to take over and that would take time. We should all certainly make our feelings known to county board reps who you would happen to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Agree with all that, I think the post I was responding to was just phrased oddly, like you were saying they did a good job by having the lads too big and slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

The lads were never blessed with awesome pace

• Registered Users Posts: 27 neverbet

The drawn 2014 final was the best game of hurling I have seen ,credit to two wonderful teams, incredibly Cody managed to get that ageing team of legends to win the replay and further add another in 2015 with a much weakened panel. IMO the Tipp team that stopped our drive for 5 in 2010 was better at that stage than the cork team that did for Limerick are at now. Cork can of course develop to become a great team somewhat like the brilliant Limerick team, we will see. Regarding KK since '15 we have been working off panels that were good but not quite good enough. At the moment it is hard to see much better out there and we may have to wait for the under 19 and minor groups to develop. There is incredible work being done for the game in this county by volunteers at all levels both on and off the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lob it in

I'm Looking forward to the upcoming club championships, we're lucky to have one of the best club scenes in the country here in Kilkenny my predictions would be:

Senior-OLG

Intermediate- Danesfort

Junior-Windgap

To go down I think in senior Clara and in Intermediate Blacks and Whites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭blackcard

Interesting tussle between Boro and OLG in the Senior Intermediate final with Boro winning by a few points. OLG were missing Butler, Lawlor, Deegan and brough on Wall and Molloy late on. Boro were missing Clifford but started Shine and Buckley. Bit of a dust up in the second half, look forward to see them match up when there is more on the line. Owen Wall looked dangerous when he came on, should have been brought on against Clare imo.

Both sides were in good physical shape and will be there at the business end of the championship

Yes its great to have the club coming back. Theres no doubt its one of the best club championships in the country. The shamrocks demise has made it more of a level playing field but still plenty of great hurlers. O loughlins have fionn macekssey this year and it will be intresting to see how he goes at this level or could he be a option for kk next year? Some clubs getting riddled with immigration.The village lost a few and mooncoin lost alot and they fear they could be under pressure. The Intermediate is so open now with ttown gone. Its really important players are found and are trusted and giving time with kk next year. Im not retiring anyone but we would all be surprised if Buckley,fogarty and wally stay around. Tj looked like he might of played his last match in a kk Jersey but definitely there is another year in him if he wanted to stay. Theres talk of eoin Murphys retiring. Excellent shot stopper but baffling how management done little to improve the puckout situation. I do think tallis and mason are two good goalies and we have bigger problems out the field.Management hands will be forced next year so they will have to go with fresh faces. We could see 5 or 6 lads step off the county panel. Conor Delaney and maybe Richie Reid aswell. There's a rebuild on.this isn't a bad thing but management have being so reluctant with players it wouldn't surprise me if Derek didn't want another year. It was Dissappinting he didn't throw Wall and molloy on against clare. That will haunt them for a while.

• Advertisement

Was fionn mackenssey playing for o loughlins?he will be a big addition because he can play in defence,midfield or attack. We all thought loughlins had no superstars last year but a very balanced team but 7 or 8 ended up on the kk panel so they will be hoping Owen Wall,heary and luke hogan will be able to trouble the scoreboard a bit more. They generally don't concede big scores but if they could get more scores from their forwards I'd give them a good chance but there will be nothing handy in that senior championship. It will also be interesting to see how thomastown go at senior. We could do with Stephen donnelly having a injury free run at it. I presume John will have to get that operation on that thumb injury.

The players of yester year might not be in the squad anymore but if it wasn't for that great Limerick team who knows we might of won more. The collapse this year will hurt for a while and its not the first time this has happened the last few years.i know its very easy come on here and criticise this and that and I know there's alot of work going on behind the scenes BUT this is going on in every top county aswell.Tipp,cork,clare all doing unbelievable work behind the scenes. We had Ciaran muldowney appointed with great ideas with ex players and he was more or less ran because he didnt suit and had ideas and let me tell you the lad who replaced him wouldn't excite me. Im sure lads would get involved with devolopment squads and training for the betterment of kk. We have sat on our holes and are now ten years behind and the dreadful underage results is feeding into the senior. Its hard to believe how poor the underage is.Kierans the biggest misguide of all time. Young lads think their made after winning with kierans.This is kk andthe standards are high but they havent being high the last decade and this starts with the county board. Appointing cheap and cheerful. County board need to get off their holes and get a strong u17 and u20 management team or advertise it and see what teams people have to offer.if they Looked after the coaches and players properly plenty of lads would go for it.lyng was told a few years ago when he fought for extra s&c that "he better win something now"because of the extra resources it was costing. Imagine that scutter being said .There is a acceptance the last few years if we got bet by the eventual winners or lost narrowly but everyone can surely see the years slipping by and no all ireland.Are we improving the last few years? That's debatable.We have no football,rugby or soccer or many distractions. We have a load of money but are as mean as dike water,its widely known how mean we are. Hard to believe they turned down the scoreboard they gave thurles. This will tell you what kinda dopes we are dealing with. Personally id run half of them johns street and not let them near nowlan park again. In fact i would of ran pj kenny after the carlow shitshow that went on.Improvements can happen when the right people are in place. Look at offally and cork getting underage right .The purchase of new ground is definitely years behind and will take another few years to complete so I wouldn't be giving huge kudos to that.Dragging players to carlow and carrig nore in this day and age is desperate but its acceptable.We absolutely desperately need to start spending money that will make improvements. Need to do what it takes to get the best coaches and people involved with teams and if that means look after them so be it. I would be in favour of getting someone involved from a different sport although i heard mick femnelly had a guy from his time with offally involved and he was told to run him because it would cost more money. I dont know how long more we can put up with these lads. With all the imminent retirements It's absolutely vital players are given trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

Is S&C really a problem, or the reason for fade outs in games in recent years? I'm not so sure, it seems to me that the lack of game plan(s) have been a far bigger contributor to fade outs in games, e.g. gifting possession to teams who thrive on gaining it, chasing shadows as a result, etc. This would drain any team. Our game plan worked in the Leinster final, hence no major concerns about S&C after that game.

All grades have shown how weak they are at playing a proper possession game, and you could get away with that 10 years ago but unfortunately you cannot get away with it in today's game. It's hard to blame players or any particular management teams for this... When an issue is prevalent at all grades you gotta look at the whole system.

It's particularly unfair on the players as they are continually getting criticised, and have had desperately poor support at games, etc. But they've been failed by our poor coaching standards across the board for many years now.

Unfortunately Kilkenny senior hurling is going to get worse before it gets better. I personally think that TJ needs to go for the betterment of Kilkenny long term. He is 38 in 2025 and can still do a job but i want to see players like Eoin Cody and Adrian Mullen step up, they have been hot and cold for years now. How good will they be when TJ goes as he takes some pressure off these lads as everything goes through him.

Hugh Lawlor, Paddy Deegan, Billy Ryan, Richie Reid, Eoin Murphy, Tom Phelan will be all 29 + next year and are in the same age cycle as the Limerick team, so very hard to see them winning an All Ireland in the next 3/4 years.

I do believe Lyng should stay on but we badly need a rebuild as the current team is not good enough. There is nothing in Leinster, we can usually scrape by one Munster team but we cant seem to beat 2 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Disagree on TJ, no guarantee the lads will step up when he's gone. He was one of our better players in the semi final and we have a better chance of winning an all Ireland next year with him then without him.

I agree on TJ but he is covering over a lot of cracks. It will be another year down the line before the rebuild starts and we will have 7/8 lads in there 30s then

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

We are very self critical of ourselves at times and I know we all want better. But Cork beat limerick by hitting lots of high ball down on the half forward line and tore the much vaunted limerick half back line apart with real genuine ball winners. It was similar to us in 19 with Mullen and donnelly running riot that day .There is most certainly a place for going short at times but is that because you can't win your own puckout. I expect cork will go long at the weekend 80% of the time and work of breaks with pace and open up clare like we did if they are more clinical they can get goals and that could be the difference.

The purchase of land is a welcome addition to our infrastructure and is 10years late but none the less a positive. I would hope with the current rainfall levels at least 2 would be astro turf with the hope one could be indoors.

There is some serious development Going on in clubs in Kilkenny. Ballyhale,carrickshock, windgap are all in the process of major development with the carrickshock one in particular being really impressive with 130m of a 5m hurling wall. So it's about time the county board showed a bit of ambition and I would also say the camogie board need to stop sitting on their hands and row in with the gaa in the development. Now would be the time for them to come on board as a partner and help raise whatever finance is needed. With a vew to taking over some of the development like they have in tipp and cork and have their own premises.

Do Carrickshock have plans to put in a second field. I do not know how they operate with one playing pitch this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

On TJ he will either retire this year or next. On Lyng i believe he gets next year but will have to end careers and rebuild with youth. Hopefully players like Walsh Buckley and Fogarty will take the decision out of his hands. He needs to look at his backroom staff too. Looking back at the semi final did none of them see what was happening or know how to try and change the game when the tide turned in the second half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭KK36

The Camogie Board won't get involved in any development or contribute to it.

They will simply do what they always did. Wait for the development to be done and then demand access to it whenever they want under the guise of "equality".

Advertisement