Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hailtothethief

There's two types of EV users. First is those who adjusted their driving style to suit the particular EV they have. They generally think their EV are brilliant and suit them. Some then think as it suits them (without realising they have altered their behaviour to fit the vehicle) that it should suit everyone.

The second is those who have a driving and usage behaviour and general expect the EV to fit their usage behaviour as all other ICE vehicles have done in the past. Generally, I've found that these have zero interest in cars beyond it being a transport tool. There is a cohort in this category who have found the EV didn't fit their usage pattern and it's easier to go back to the ICE as they know the ICE fits their patterns.

Also, if you are leaving Cork or beyond Cork City first thing (usually with a "6" displayed on the clock) for a 9:30 meeting in Dublin, some won't be worried about how to maximise the range, it's getting there as soon as (legally) possible......

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ir3

There’s only 2 types 😂 , I’m very confused cos I don’t fall into either definition. Is there only 2 types of ICE driver or is there more?

Why can’t people just figure out if a certain type of car suits their use and lifestyle, wether it’s petrol, diesel or god forbid it’s electric, I don’t care but just cos some people are too thick to work it out doesn’t mean other people are wrong or that you need to pigeon hole everyone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We're also missing the EV driver (or recently exited EVs) that spends all day telling other people who don't own an EV why EVs don't work in the hopes that the message will get to someone who posts on EV forums and Facebook groups.

It amazes me just how many people choose to speak to people about their choice of drivetrain in public, personally I've not met any since the Garda who followed me to the Blanchardstown charger in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Some people can do the same driving they've always done just now its in a EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Im in Italy at the moment and the hire car I got was a Skoda Scala.

Its only done 10 thousand kilometres from new. If this is the current ICE technology then shoot me now.

The gearbox (manual) is horrific (trying to get reverse is like trying to pick next week's lottery numbers).

The clutch bites at the very last second which isn't great for hill starts.

Sorry but petrol or diesel cars are being left behind and it's for the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Tell me you don't know what you are talking about without telling me you don't know what you are talking about

If you want to be in Dublin for a meeting that early, get the train.

There's a lot of posts in EV groups that don't read like someone with an EV, they read like someone who doesn't have an EV posting how think EVs work. Its weird.

I have no problem seeing why some people who decide an EV isn't for them and go back to an ICE.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

+1

Nobody should be booting it up the motorway, stressed, tired at that hour of the morning to make a meeting that easily could be scheduled for later on or Carried out remotely on Teams/Zoom etc

I had a new Scala a few weeks back on holiday. 5 of us in it, fairly hilly locations. I thought it was alright. That said our second car is a manual petrol so maybe I didn't find it that different. Though I prefer our old petrol to drive, its more sporty. In the week I had the Scala, I had to reset the head unit as it just crashed as I was trying to find somewhere. So I think the tech issues are going to be similar be they ICE or EV.

Some one had suggested to me that I prefer driving my EV to my ICE because the EV is newer. But this was new ICE and I didn't prefer it. The EV is much lighter workload.

I will say I get the range anxiety. Its a different way of thinking. A lot of people won't be up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BLV

My guess Skoda Scala has that VW three cylinder engine without a balancing shaft. Not representative of all ICE automobiles. It is like saying that all EVs are bad because Tesla Model 3 has the ugliest, stiffest suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭maidhc

option a) leave home at 6, be in Dublin for 8.20 and have a coffee option b) leave home at 5. Drive 45 mins to train (in the wrong direction) park (hope there are spaces) be in Dublin for 9.30 get further transport to location.

I have been there. I quite like booting up the motorway at 6, not at all stressful. Boot back down at 3 or so.

I agree though. I love cars, but no way would I change my driving habits or lifestyle choices just to save few quid.

Not an option for a lot of professionals. Grand if you have one of those ill defined “it” jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,714 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I haven't changed my driving habits or lifestyle choices since I got an EV. Still have a heavy right foot, but this time there are nearly 500 horses under it. 😁

Motorway driving puts me to sleep, literally and figuratively. I just find it boring. I get the attraction of getting somewhere quickly though. But its just not my thing. Its not engaging driving for me. I did it briefly in my youth and hated it.

Perfectly acceptable for most jobs. Just people are reluctant to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

An old friend of mine was telling me and a couple of mutual friends about a bar fight he got into on his birthday where one lad insulted his then GF and he knocked out 3 lads and walked away with burst lip.

He forgot that I was there that night. The truth was he insulted his GF and she threw a glass of Guinness into his face. The lip, it was a cold sore.

People tell stories all the time. Some I believe, some I don't. The ones that sound like they are BS usually are, or at the very least, exaggerated to give an impression of bravado, or to save face.

Stay Free

Exactly the same here. Drive it like any other car. No stress, no worries. Haven’t looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I did change my lifestyle when I went EV. But then it was when I was going to college as a mature student and wanted to cut down on my monthly motoring costs for the next 4 years. It was a Leaf and I knew it would restrict me and cause delay if travelling beyond its range. I went in knowing this though and took the good with the bad…mostly good though.

Model 3 owner nearly 2 years now. Driving to Germany and back in a couple of weeks. Didn't give it a second thought. Planned my route on ABRP similar to how I planned my drive to Sweden in a van a decade ago. Planned stops every couple hundred miles.

Stay Free

Not mine anyway, and not most jobs which involve work rather than “meetings”. (But let’s go ot)

You’re either meeting or working. If you’re having meetings, you’re not working. Most jobs could do it.

You jumped in on posts about a meeting in Dublin. You decided to Change it to workers. That’s a different scenario. Workers with equipment, tools etc may not suit an EV. That’s basic intelligence.

• Advertisement

I spent today in a diesel transit so I don’t really care for any agenda but something sounds fishy with the story.

But listen, you posted it. Let others decide if they believe it or not. Those that know, know.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Exiled Rebel

Horse manure. There's no way of getting from Cork to Dublin in 2hrs 20mins at that hour of the morning. Even if you left Mitchelstown you wouldn't make it.

I travel twice a week from west Waterford to park west. I join the M8 at junction 11. Once you merge with M7 it starts tightening up a bit and then M9 traffic merges with M7 around Naas and that's when it congestion gets bad. Then there's the regular tips which occur and you could end up sitting on your Tod going nowhere for what feels like an eternity.

Thankfully I now only drive to portlaoise and jump on the commuter train to park west. Hop off and it's a 5 min stroll to the office.

FTR I drive an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Mercedes have just announced they're going to dial back their EV portfolio and re-strengthen their ICE one due to lack of customer interest. Others are doing the same acknowledging their EV targets may have been overly agressive.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2024/06/29/mercedes-is-redirecting-rd-money-away-from-evs-towards-gas-engines/

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BLV

Driving to Germany in an EV? People tell stories all the time!

Advertisement