Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

Not starting him before isn't a valid reason not to start him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Frawley has to get a few starts at this stage

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

To be fair, they started him a few times and he wasn't exactly stellar. The Sale game was deeply uninspiring to put it mildly. But perhaps with a run he will grow into it. Farrell seems to think so and he has generally been a good judge of these things.

I wouldn't be shocked if by the 6N our 23 is Frawley and Prendergast in some order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Didn't say it was, I was talking about last season and clearly he wasn't seen as a 10 unless required off the bench

Wil it change next season? who knows. Frawley is also going to get extended holidays compared to the Byrne brothers

Maybe Farrell does and he can explain to Cullen/Nienaber but at the moment both Ireland and leinster are playing him in the same position, 23

They have both played him there recently in a 5-3 situation where he is clearly primarily covering 10 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Interesting to note that after a good showing v SA there are now leinster fans calling for Frawley to be starting at 10 nxt season,was in Dublin over the weekend & it was mentioned a good few times in rugby chats

Also I find it bizarre a previous comment that if everyone is fully fit then we don't really need Jordie Barrett

It may not have been the intention but by god does it smack of arrogance

I think ye need a captain more than alot of other positionally changes at this stage, ye have proven to be v v close but no cigar

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thePigeon_

So if we’re counting Frawley as an outhalf then Harry was 4th choice out of 4. If we’re not counting Frawley as an outhalf then Harry was 3rd choice out of 3.

Either way his location for the Bulls game, a different hemisphere to the other guys, is pretty indicative of where he was seen at the end of the season.

The first URC game is 10 weeks away. I’m all for giving guys a break after a long season but with a new attack coach coming in I’d hope that the likes of Frawley (and definitely Prendergast) are back for day 1.

They won't be. Pre-season starts already next week so they will be 4 weeks behind in their pre-season at least.

Okay thanks I didn’t realise pre-season was so soon. What do you think is a realistic return then? Even if they get 6 weeks off that’s still the bones of 4 weeks left before the Edinburgh game on the 20/09.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leinster’s failures in Europe can be explained away by reference to bad luck but there’s a lot of coaching decisions that had a big impact on that bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

There were multiple Leinster fans (including plenty on here) calling for Frawley to start at 10 for a lot of last season too.

I made the Jordie Barrett comment - and it wasn’t as you described above. I actually specifically said he’s obviously a great player who will improve Leinster, I just said if we were to add a player to the backline my preference would have been to bring in someone who is a different skillset to what is already there, and ideally to have brought in some elite speed (as I feel that’s what Leinster are lacking).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah. Looking at the existing options at 12 and 15 it does look pretty stacked:

12: Henshaw, Osborne, Frawley, Brownlee

15: Keenan, Osborne, O'Brien, Frawley, Larmour, McErlean

Will Jordan would have brought a huge amount of pace, and the existing options on the right wing aren't as strong as at 12 and 15.

None of that is to say that Barrett isn't top quality - one of the best in the world in his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Will Jordan wasn't an option.. Jordie contacted Leinster.. Leinster weren't going to turn a player of that quality down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I made a similar comment and tbh I stand by it.

If Keenan, Ringrose and Henshaw are all available, where does Barrett slot in and make us a significantly better side? Especially if Osborne continues on his current trajectory.

I'm absolutely delighted to have him but if you looked at the Leinster team and said "where do these guys need a 60-cap All Black?", you would not have said centre/full-back. If Jordie can make a go of playing at right wing or even out-half, then awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Any other team in the world would start him imo

I see where you are coming from re positionally it's not where ye need a 60 cap AB

He starts, he wouldn't have been signed otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Maybe some for the Munster match and some for the Connacht match

• Registered Users Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

There's more than likely going to an injury or two and that's where it will be more obvious the use of Jordie.

10: Frawley, Sam, Ross

11: J lowe, Jordie

12: Henshaw, Frawley, Os, Jordie

13: Ringrose, Henshaw, Os, Jimmy, Jordie

14: Jimmy, Larmour, Os, Hugo, Jordie

15: Hugo, Os, Jordie

So you have Five outside backs, one sub: 9 players for 6 positions. One will more than likely be injured and two will be unlucky

If Frawley owns 10, then it's one will be unlucky.

He starts, he wouldn't have been signed otherwise

Hopefully he turns out to be a game changer and we simply cannot leave him on the bench.
    At this distance out though, I’m not sure we can say he’s a nailed on starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭conquestscarer

He is a nailed on starter, he comes in immediately as our best 12 at the very least.

• Advertisement

No one is a nailed on starter yada yada. It would certainly be interesting if he ousted Henshaw. Keenan is a better fullback. I most likely think he will end up at 14 still, which is bad news for Osborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

And look, if there's no room for him he can always go and play a bit of AIL with Buccs like his old man.

Actually tbf Buccs are Connacht affiliated and relegated to 2A now.

Maybe send him to Naas for a game or 2.

Barrett is certainly a better playmaking 12 than Henshaw, and maybe that's what we need if our out-half issues continue, but I don't think he's necessarily a better all-round 12.

My guess is that Barrett will be like Nacewa, slotting in wherever he's needed on a given day, rather than being given one position. As @Podge_irl says, it's probably the likes of Osborne, JOB and Larmour who will miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Put JGP, Frawley, Barrett, Henshaw, Ringrose, Lowe and Osborne into the same backline and Warren Gatland might even volunteer for the job.

There's an interesting overlap that I can see over the past few pages of debate between Frawley and Snyman.

Snyman is unquestionably coming to be an impact bench player. The level of impact remains to be seen. Before last season I'd have said his ball handling skills would play right into our lads level. But Leinsters ball handling last season left a lot to be desired.

The flip side of the coin is Frawley should be given the reins at 10. Personally I'm still on the fence if he's a long term option there. I do think Prendergasts time is now. Throw him in the pool and let him swim.

But the similarity I draw is Frawleys form in recent months points perfectly to an impact bench player. He came on against Toulouse, instantly changed the pace and narrative of the game. He did similar against South Africa in the second test. He also held his mettle against LAR away to kick us to victory. The last few months have shown a player who backs themselves in big moments to steer us to victory. Who will make the tough decision and execute when the chips are down.

… Is this not the perfect player to bring off the bench in the last 20? At the moment, Frawley is the nearly the best player in Ireland to have at the end of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Surprised nobody is talking about Jordie playing at 10. That's the most important position where we have had a relative weakness in since Sexton retired, compared to any other position on the pitch.

Suggesting Frawley is the answer at 10 is very recency biased, we've seem him be very average at 10 in the past for us, though I hope he continues to progress. I don't think either of the Byrnes are elite. I'm hopeful for Prendergast, it'll do him no harm to have someone like Jordie in the squad to learn from.

All in all I think 10 is where we need him most, he's probably better than our best 10. I think he's probably a better 12 and 13 than our best, and maybe 14 too, he's just that good.

Oh man I'd love to see us try start Barrett at 10 😂

Humphreys would hop the fence, fight off the pitch invasion squad and drag him off by his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

Nobody is talking about playing Jordie Barrett at 10 because he simply isn't a 10, and has never really been. He has started one game in his career at 10, almost 5 years ago, against Namibia.

For the last couple of seasons he's played almost exclusively at 12, and back in the 21/22 season he split minutes between 12 and 15 (majority 15).

He isn't a 10 at all, and claiming he's better there than our best 10 is a wild stretch.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,582 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement
Advertisement