Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

there you have it folks, if your in meetings your not working!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

there you have it folks. Illiteracy and out of context shenanigans. Why you guys have to bend the posts to try justify your content. Please re-read the posts I responded to and like other posters, don’t jump in mid conversation ignoring the content.

Post edited by Gumbo at

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wouldn't be so sure of the greens not being kingmakers next year, they managed it last time on just 7.1% of the popular vote

The old nut about EVs being expensive is untrue these days. Most EVs from year 2022+ should be well capable of replacing an ICE and most EVs of that age would be cheaper than their ICE equivalents. When you look at the new market Ireland's most popular car is the Hyundai Tucson, €39k before delivery charges so what is and isn't considered a lot of money to spend on a car is up for debate as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Fair enough, pity about the value of the Ev. I would argue that there's a huge difference in terms of the toxic shlte that comes out of the exhaust though. Fook climate change, I want clean air to breathe.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I've heard a lot of people with the same story, maybe the entire country is using the same tyre guy or maybe it's just made up. I've heard it so many times I'm leaning to the latter to be honest.

Next time you hear this story you should as which 3 charge points weren't working and what day it was. You'll probably get a fairly quick subject change

The oil industry must really be getting desperate these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭SharkMX

To be fair, if we were really that worried about the climate we would all be on our bikes, staying home for holidays and going down to the local farm for our food.

As I said, I'm not worried about the climate, I'm worried about the air we breathe.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I think you'll be ok. Im keeping one EV. You can breathe easy.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I try to sleep during meetings

Anyway, this thread is bonkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

We’ve two ICE- one modern enough one ancient - just can’t justify buying an EV right now as we love our modern ICE and it’s working well but maybe 2 years outstanding on loan - reckon at that point we’ll go for EV - we used to do massive milage yearly but with working from home that’s cut down drastically and use the modern ICE 90% of the time - if we went back to daily commuting then it would be EV all the way.

I do wonder to what degree working from home has impacted sales of EVs or indeed car sales in general - if I had to get rid of the ancient ICE I’d “survive” leaving us with just one car. I would never have considered doing that up to a few years ago.

When the time comes to buying an EV, I’ll still be concerned / researching about:

1. Battery guarantee left
    2. Reliability and known problems
    3. Range (less so than in the past)

So range wouldn’t be my biggest fear - it’s large bills for the battery - if companies could sort this I really think they’d give the EV industry a massive boost overnight as second hand values would stabilise more meaning less depreciation for new EV buyers- that couldn’t be a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭fits

we both wfh a lot but the ev car still does 30k km a year. The other wouldn’t do 10 I’d say. Living in a rural area.
    yeah there are certainly nerves about batteries. Fear of the unknown I’d say and manufacturers could do more to allay it.

We’ve had a very good experience so far though. Huge savings on fuel, no NCT or visits to fuel stations. No unexpected bills. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Had to put a new engine into the diesel a few years ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's the irony of people who claim they won't change their motoring habits to suit driving an EV. Studies have shown that people who switch to EVs tend to start driving more due to lower per 100km running costs.

I don’t have content to justify.

Your posts expect that the world changes to suit your preferred means of travel. That sales reps don’t do basic drives from Cork to Dublin. Because they can be done on zoom instead.

Read your own posts. Nothing I posted is out of context. And don’t tell me not to comment mid thread. Not sure who gave you that power!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

A new car is expensive whether it’s ICE or EV.

So yes- a new EV is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,428 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

The other side of the coin is the less expensive it is to purchase a second hand EV that has decent range etc, the more people will get out of ICE.

You jumped in mid conversation where I quoted another poster talking about a “meeting” commute. So yea, don’t jump in and make assumptions without reading the posts properly.

Your rage then piped up before comprehending the context of my reply and you couldn’t see past the difference between working and a meeting. Was I uncivil because I called you out on it 🤷

Preferred means of travel is subjective. For me it might be petrol, for you EV. That’s the point. Maybe ICE drivers shouldn’t be jumping in on EV threads preaching about how EV’s don’t work 🤷

That will happen in time. Natural progression hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes they do basic trips from Cork to Dublin

Some sales reps will still be doing door to door, driving around in circles all day.

Other won't

People still prefer the face to face, video conferencing is great but the personal touch can't be replaced.

And I can agree with that in fairness.
    It was the below post I originally quoted and then some people that dragging it OT by saying meetings are not work etc

Rushing up a motorway to get there as soon as possible is it the way we should be travelling if your out in that situation, maybe a zoom call is more appropriate.

I’m not talking about sales reps that have to visit clients in person here.

Also, if you are leaving Cork or beyond Cork City first thing (usually with a "6" displayed on the clock) for a 9:30 meeting in Dublin, some won't be worried about how to maximise the range, it's getting there as soon as (legally) possible......

• Advertisement

I have no rage. Not sure where you are drawing that accusation from. But apparently I am illiterate too.

By some people you mean you? Right?

Well you accused me of telling you not to post mid thread. I said no such thing. Read the reads and you’ll see that 👍

I told you that you jumped in mid conversation where I quoted a meeting post and you took my quote out of context. So that’s where you are 👍

Your anger seems to be stemming from that. That’s how your posts come across. I can’t help that unfortunately. You choose to ignore the fact that there’s 3 fuel types in general to choose from. Nobody gona force anyone into either. You do you 👍

Advertisement