Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Metrolink - future routes for next Metrolink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I don't believe there is a credible threat of any new urban rail service in Dublin being under used. It's never happened, it will never happen and there's no cause for fearing it happening. Even if density is low in some parts, trains will mostly be rammed from Tallaght onwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 scrabtom

The question is not whether it will be under used or not, but whether it would be the best use of limited funds (although admittedly not that limited right now).

I imagine a metro for South West Dublin would have to be behind multiple Luas lines in Dublin, one or even two Luas lines in Cork, a Luas line in Galway, Dart Underground, the electrification and double tracking of much of the intercity rail network, the rail line to Navan, and probably some other projects when it comes to a cost benefit analysis.

That's not even counting Dart Plus, BusConnects in five cities and Metrolink that are in the pipeline now.

I really can't see it happening for several decades if ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ok so in other words let the people of DSW sit in traffic?
    DSW already has the worst bus journey times with regards to distance travelled.
    There simply is no other way to improve PT in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭spillit67

Tallaght might, but that doesn’t mean the route you favour.

Again, the Terenure corridor is a dead zone of low density housing.

In an ideal world I'd love to see a Metro South West. But resources are finite and the government has to try and benefit the most people possible with the funds they have when deciding on what transport projects to invest in.

There are other considerations such as balancing regional development but that is unlikely to improve the case for a Metro in Dublin South West either.

By going ahead with this you would be choosing not to do other projects, and letting people in other parts of Dublin and the country sit in traffic. This project would just be far more expensive for the benefit than other projects.

I've never driven in the South West of Dublin personally, but I have taken the bus. It is indeed a bit of a nightmare journey time wise.

• Advertisement

You can go over the reality over and over here with them, it doesn’t hit home.

I suppose Firhouse, Ballyboden, Rathfarnham, rathmines, is also a dead zone of low density housing according to you?

Where is the evidence of this?

There are still bus lanes.

And you seem to miss the point that the N11 and Rock Road traffic is the main feeder of a vastly more populated part of the country. The extremities of Knocklyon and Rathfarnham is the mountains just 9km from St Stephens Green. 9km along the Stillorgan QBC is Stillorgan itself.

yes 9km of gridlocked traffic in and around Rathfarnham templeogue, terenure.
    I could go over and over this but you don’t seem to get this point?
    Also why are you talking about the N11?
    The green line LUAS will be upgraded to metro standard, the dart already runs in that area of Dublin and the most high frequent successful QBC runs along the N11.
    What needs to be done on the N11? Monorail is it?

I do get the point.

The journey times are not significantly different from Stillorgan (same distance) alone.

The QBC extends out to Bray, which is over double the distance out. It captures far more people and goes through areas that people actually want to get to (Sandyford, UCD, Dún Laoghaire, Blackrock, Bray- to name a few).

Have you been through Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Leeson Street etc? The volumes of traffic are significantly higher, all converging on similarly narrow roads which delays buses.

The simple fact is that between the Green and the Red Line;

- there is scores of low density housing
    - the areas of interest are golf courses, not something like a UCD etc
    - it is backed up by mountains less than 10km from the centre of the city

There are places all over Dublin with similar bus journeys as that part of Dublin but they are overlooked because there is a Luas or a DART in that general direction.

• Advertisement

Yep. Full of low rise housing estates and no places of interest for the general public to go other than golf courses.

Shoehorning in Tallaght is the only way to make a Metrolink work out that way and really the opportunity is there to build some proper high density transit around Ballymount in time.

Have a look at the Dublin City Housing Taskforce and their map of live planning applications, granted planning developments and under construction developments. The SW is relatively speaking one of the most sparse in Dublin. Even if you ignore the here and now and look to the future, this in no way justifies a Metro.

My personal take is the next Metrolink needs to be East to West & touching the Canals. This provides the most utility to the most people (including those in the SW).

I get your point to a certain degree regarding the low rise housing but what does that mean for the people of DSW?

Are they to be abandoned to the piss poor PT that they have now?

PT shouldn’t be like this- it’s supposed to be a public service.

It means Bus Connects and long term a couple of Luas lines that feed into the city centre and also Tallaght - Sandyford directions.

I’ve pointed this out to you before you just don’t listen. I grew up in an area 25 mins walk from the DART, 40 mins from the Luas and 15 mins from Stillorgan QBC. But if I told them where I was from, they’d think I was covered off by them. It’s just not the case for scores of the south east of the city. That is also the case for the Red Line and other “rapid lines”.

That is why you build them where there is population density.

If a Metro was built in the SW, a large chunk of it would not be within 10 minutes walk of a station still. A Metro just makes no sense.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

But public transport isn’t just Metro’s. It is also Bus, Luas, etc. You claim there isn’t the space for improved bus or Luas, but that is only because you aren’t willing to fight the battle to reprioritise road space away from cars and to give it to Luas.

I know it is a very difficult battle, but it is a battle we need to fight all over the city.

Dreaming of a Metro is a waste of time, getting out there and fighting for better bus/Luas services is probably a better way to spend your time.

You have been tricked into this dream of a SW metro that will likely never happen in our lifetimes, which is very convenient for the motor industry as it distracts you for fighting for the road space available.

Old bawn road

killinniny road 

Scholarstown road

ballyboden road 

Willbrook road 

castle golf club

terenure

Kimmage

Harolds x

dame street

Take that route road by road and tell me where a QBC or LUAS can be built?
    I’ll give you as far as ballyboden road and after that there’s no space even if you somehow introduce one way traffic and give a carriage over to busses or a luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭gjim

A suburb can have gridlocked traffic with relatively few commuters - it depends on the capacity of the roads.

If a road is capable of carrying 600 private vehicles an hour at reasonable speed and you have 1,000 people trying to drive the road during peak, you'll have gridlock. But it would be madness/overkill to spend money on a 20k passenger/hour metro line to the area to solve the problem. It's a 1k passenger/hour problem and a PT mode suitable to those sort of numbers (along with tolerance for future growth, if it's possible/likely in the area) is what should be considered.

If you want to make the case for metro SW, you'd need to show likely passenger numbers not point at the state of the traffic.

All I can go on are the bus route times.

And they are not significantly out of whack with the city generally.

This in no way justifies a Metro.

What about the people a 10+ minute walk away from any station on your desired route?

The route has to stand up to density and places of interest tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The corridor might be somewhat low density but it's a lot higher density than intercity, DART ro Navan or anything in Galway.

Cork luas isn't happening in our lifetime due to politics anyway.

You could probably electrify and multi track most of the intercity network for the same cost as this South West Metro. Luas lines or a rail line to Navan would be nothing comparable in price.

It is also not just about the current density, but the capacity of projects to open up areas for development. Also, all public transport projects cannot just take place in Dublin. That would be neither fair not politically viable.

• Advertisement

But that’s not the point.

The point is the cost of construction and tunneling clearly is an enormous cost.

The DART is obviously hamstrung by its location. It was 1 mile in land on the southside then much of the south east would be covered already. It’s a historical sunk cost though.

I can kind of get the chicken and egg stuff with the SW. For example, the existence of the Stillorgan QBC is naturally densifying further that part of the city and that leads for calls for a Luas / Metro. I’ve made the point on the number of developments. They just aren’t there in the SW.

The fact that it leads to mountains is a problem too. There isn’t a Sandyford. There isn’t a Cherrywood. There isn’t the Bray and Greystones corridor growth there beyond the SW.

If a Metro was planned for the SW, quite clearly the planning objectives would change substantially and you might see a lot more densification beforehand. That’s where the golf course point comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If only we'd not closed the other heavy rail alignment that was about that distance inland; or we could convert it to metro now…

Wait…

• Registered Users Posts: 39 OisinCooke

I do think that multiple Luas line really is the best option for SW Dublin, there is just no real justification for a metro unfortunately. I would see a SW line as follows

It would replace the Bus Lanes from Christchurch down as far as Harold’s Cross - a very easy fix (it could even run down a centre partition as with the Red Line on the Naas Road)

From Harold’s Cross south, a few metres of garden would need to be CPO’d to accommodate the tracks but there is plenty of green space on the eastern side of the road that could be built into also to minimise the CPO’ing as far as Rathfarnham

After that, I would see the line turning down the Wilbrook Road which seems very narrow, however there appears to be plenty of green space on both sides of the road to build into for a tram line

Finally reaching Ballyboden, the line would turn onto the Ballyboden Road (most likely as an on-street tram) for the last kilometre or so to a Knocklyon P+R station to the west of the M50

This is just a bystanders perspective, and I’m aware that some of the land-take and road-reprioritising required may be controversial but this could a good route for it. Combined with Luas Kimmage, this would unlock the SW pretty well

I don't get this sort of thinking at all. Why does PT spending have to be distributed around the country "fairly"?

Dublin need PT more than anywhere else, so spending on PT should be focussed on Dublin where it will deliver the most bang-per-buck.

We don't demand that Dublin gets its fair share of farm supports or rural broadband spending, do we? Across the entire program for government spending, the money should be used in ways to maximise the benefit and value for the population everywhere.

So don't build railways in Mayo out of a sense of "fairness" and because "Dublin is getting new rail". Spend the money in Mayo on things that will deliver the most benefits to the people there - maybe easier access to health facilities, education, improved roads, expanding Connecting Ireland, whatever it doesn't matter. And spend the money in Dublin on things that need the money most in Dublin.

Imposed "fairness" in spending this way, is just wastes the opportunity to improve lives for everyone. Worse it has the strong whiff of dog-in-a-manger type of zero-sum thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

Right now Dublin is likely to get a 10billion Metro, 4billion+ Dart upgrades and extensions, 3billion+ Bus Connects and CBC upgrades, plus several more billions for overruns, add-ons, Luas extensions etc.

But you claim this is already too low and unfair on Dublin?!!

Adding an additional 10billion Metro SW would be an insane overspend of money in Dublin relative to the rest of the island.

I'm not arguing for metro SW - I've already said it makes no sense. I want the green Luas south of Charlemont to be upgraded and integrated with ML.

I'm arguing against the idea that money spent on rail PT needs to be distributed around the country for the sake of "fairness". Money should be spent where it's needed most and on the what is appropriate in that area to deliver the maximum in terms of improving the quality of life of the citizens . Spending on metros in Dublin should absolutely not be "matched" by spending on rail PT in areas of the country where it will deliver little.

And I don't think you want to get into the arithmetic of government spending and fairness - the rest of the country benefits from massive transfers from Dublin. And as a result, if Dublin fails to prosper then the whole country suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

"Fairness", in this case isn’t "10 billion spent on transport in Dublin, therefore Cork, Limerick, and Galway each need 10 billion spent on PT, and if we can't afford that then all 4 get 2.5 billion each"

It's spending 'somewhat' in proportion to the scale of our cities on public transport.

Maybe we have a little more ambition and use some smaller French cities PT networks as a model for what Cork and Limerick should be targeting in order to, in some way, counterbalance Dublin.

Its maybe putting a billion into a genuinely ambitious Busconnects project for Galway with QBCs, Bus Gates and a car free city core.

Dublin should absolutely get a very significant chunk of the funding, and have a continuous stream of projects for years to come, but big projects in the other cities can't just sit waiting until Dublin is 'done'.

All that does is further increase the 'gravity' of Dublin for the entire population of the country, which isn't sustainable.

I can agree with a lot of that. I wasn't arguing that the rest of the country be starved of PT option. I was responding to a specific point about rail investment - that it needs to be spread-around in the name of "fairness". I've seen first hand in the rural West how transformative the improved rural bus services have been through Connecting Ireland. Whatever you think of the rest of his politics, Eamon Ryan has done more to make public transport viable and useful for large swathes of the country using buses than any silly rural rail proposal.

Re. Cork and Limerick - Cork is a good candidate for heavy rail metro services. Limerick is not given the configuration of the alignments. Luas/tram would be far superior for Limerick. Outside of that, I can't see any other town/city in the country where building rail infrastructure would be anything but a complete waste of time and money.

I think the government should be trying to spread investment and wealth around the country.

Cost benefit analysis is undoubtedly very important when determining which public transports to invest in but there is danger in relying solely on it. This can lead to investment being focused in more well off areas, as higher populations and levels of economic activity will obviously offer more benefit in cash terms. This then never gives other areas a chance to catch up. This has been a major problem in the UK and has contributed to the divide in the country between the North and London/the South.

Regardless I don't think this really matters in relation to a South West metro as there are just so many other projects that have would have a much better cost to benefit ratio anyway. Metros are extremely expensive.

I never mentioned railways in Mayo, the projects I mentioned were electrification to the intercity rail lines, so Dublin - Cork, Dublin - Galway, Dublin - Waterford and Dublin - Belfast. All of which also benefit Dublin by the way. And then Luas lines in Cork and Galway. Both of which I think make a lot of sense and would be far less expensive that a metro in the South West of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I've said it before many times, but I really think the solution to Dublin SW is Metro West (or Orbital West as it was recently labeled as) and feeder Luas lines. Rather than focusing on several expensive radial Metros, use a high capacity orbital to feed passengers into the main radials including Dart West, South West, Dart Coastal and Metro (Swords - Sandyford).

If a majority of people can get to a Metro or Dart station within 10-15 minutes, by walking, bus and/or Luas, the main radials can funnel people into the city very quickly.

For that to really work, intercity trains would need to be diverted away from the Dart lines (where 4-tracking is not feasible), and the Dart+ tunnel would be needed.

Advertisement