Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon

Options
1888990919294»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Jess Kelly on Newstalk has just said that Amazon Germany no longer deliver outside Germany.

Any idea if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

And what source did Jess Kelly from Newstalk provide?

If you go onto amazon.de you can see that they still deliver so unless Jess has an insight she does not share, this looks like "fake news".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

I suspect if one were to analyse what the likes of weckler, weston, Jess Kelly and all the other radio spacefiller persons say one would find a fair percentage of guff or broadly accepted but not necessarily entirely accurate pronouncements

It worries me that people might take them as being 100% accurate tbh

But I doubt I'd be any better if part of my job was to talk on demand on various radio stations and not let it go silent for a millisecond....must be a terrible job...you can't really go into the minutiae or people would tune out so you have to make relatively safe bland pronouncements as if they are some sort of expert tip or trick or interesting....that presumably anybody current or with a brain already knows and if they don't whatever little tidbit it is probably won't help much in isolation.....some of them drop some fairly terrible inaccurate shite occasionally too.

Amazon.de have always had sellers that don't ship to Ireland or outside of Germany afaik.....and again afaik there's no blanket policy on amazon.de not yo ship to another EU market ...

I've noticed it tends to be bulkier items like tools gardening appliances when I buy but tbh there was usually another seller willing...although it was sometimes too expensive to be worth it

And in every case I could get around it with a forwarding service if I wanted to et c

tbh I either usually tune them out as useless soundbites or listen waiting for the clanger

Weston is the master of not saying anything inaccurate often but just summarising what the dogs on the street know....

I can't wait until some of the newer ones try to get a profile by saying and printing stuff thats "edgy"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Ordered from Amazon DE this morning - no issues, item on way.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭EarWig

She may have confused the no free delivery thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Plus Amazon.de is not really Amazon Germany, just like with all the other domains it's just a different frontend for the same sale from Amazon EU Sarl just with different price/availability and shipping cost. And obviously there is a restriction on some items that cannot be delivered cross borders or with too high a shipping cost.

And even than in the end the goods might not actually come from a warehouse in the same country you order from, I have Amazon.de orders from warehouses in Germany, Ireland (yes 2-day premium for some items), the UK, France, Spain or Italy via UPS or AnPost.

That is why tools like hagglezone are so important, money can be saved by choosing a different country of sale sometimes.

I find it hard to believe that Amazon Europe will no longer accept orders via the amazon.de webpage for customers in other EU countries, plus doing so might even be against the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭I am me123

Hi,

I placed an order on Amazon a few days ago. It was not dispatched yet.

I got an email today informing me that my order has been cancelled?

Has this ever happened to anyone? What are the possible reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

More excuses than reasons most of the time.

1. Its not in stock and they can't get more stock
    2. Its too expensive to ship it to you
    3. Its not in a warehouse that ships to Ireland
    4. Third party seller won't sell to Ireland because shipping costs more.
    5. Third party seller has cancelled it for their own reasons.
    6. Item had a safety issue
    7. Someone has realised there are batteries in it.
    8. Amazon has had issues with the 3rd party seller.
    9. Problem with item - Amazon discovered it was fake.
    10. etc etc

and before I forget its never happened to me but I've had stuff that took months to dispatch because it was too expensive to send to Ireland (they were looking to find a cheaper carrier) or warehouse wouldn't ship to Ireland.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thanks very much for the info @The Continental Op.

I've re ordered the item from a different seller, so fingers crossed it works out better! 🤞

I thought it would be from a third party seller. Amazon tend not to do that and leave it to Customer Services to try to get you to cancel the order when you ring up to complain how long you have been waiting.

I'm quite sure some third party sellers have no idea of the cost of shipping to Ireland until they get hit with the bill. Recently got a great deal for only £8 shipping. Two days later shipping for the same item had gone up to £20. Noticed in the past when I have bought from Amazon Market Place sellers that I can only get the item once and afterwards it becomes no longer available to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,949 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Third party sellers are so hit and miss on Amazon that I tend to just ignore them (unless they are fulfilled by Amazon). There's always some hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

This sounds more like it thanks. My order is "Sold By: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.". Nearly 2 months waiting for a dispatch date. I checked and items have been in stock a few times. I even messaged an agent when they were in stock and was promised theyd be dispatched inside 48 hours. Still waiting. If its to avoid paying shipping to Ireland it must be p!ssing a lot of people off. Maybe theyre fobbing everyone off until the IE website launches. Very poor way to treat long time customers.

Thanks, I got a bit of a startle when I got the cancellation email, as I order quite a bit from Amazon, and this is the first time Amazon actually cancelled an item. Glad it's cleared up now though.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll take the advice on board. 😊

Thats whats happened to me. Mostly for items that are heavy. Waited 4 months for one item and finally got on to CS everyday for two weeks (sat down with my morning coffee) seems the item was too heavy for the courier they used and they couldn't find another courier to take it????? Item was only stocked in one warehouse that would deliver to UK next day (Prime) no problem but wouldn't deliver to Ireland even though the listing allowed me to buy it.

After all my complaints including iirc a couple of complaint escalations it arrived. Great deal as it went up in price about 50% over the time I was waiting.

I think at least 10 reps promised me the item would be dispatched within 24 hours on one chat 5 reps just left the chat so I had to start again with a new rep.

If you want the item don't give up.

My usual argument is "Why do I pay for Prime when I get second class service".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

I have to return an item that is 13.45KG to Amazon UK. The return address is Fife, UK. I am liable for the shipping cost (item is not faulty). What's the best way to ship this back to them?

Advertisement