Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under-20 2024 Team

Options
1596061626365»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

They missed out on a 6 nations because of a game v italy and not getting a try bonus, with England and France away, not losing a game
    They got to a semi in the U20 WC

Look like a decent bunch to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Gleeson was also there last year. Why are they different?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I know he's been there before. I just consider the new players.

I'm a bit confused by your wording then.

You say you don't consider there to be any international quality among this group bar Gleeson.

Why do you specify Gleeson in this case and not Gavin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Of this year's panel including lads from last year, I would say that Gleeson and Gavin appear to have the most potential. I reckon both will be international players.

For the remainder I think there's a glut of players who will be utc level players. Specifically, Hugo McLaughlin, O'Connor, Berman, Sheahan, Walker, Hopes, McKillop and Jack Murphy.

Players I rate that could be possible higher level than the URC. Evan O'Connell, Tracy, Coffey, Ward and Edogbo.

I've no opinion formed solidly on lads available for next season. Usanov, Murphy, Calvey and Corrigan.

Spicer to me is a long term project. No idea how he'll develop.

Players who I think will struggle to make it as pro players, Naughton, Brophy, Boyd, Bell and Smyth.

Time will tell. The props in particular are tough to gauge. None of them impressed me. But that's the nature of this age group. Ruben Maloney and Colbert are possibles and injury issues leave them short of having an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I'd fancy Smyth to have a better pro career than someone like James McCormick, who was much more polished at the same age, but not the same calibre of athlete. Spicer to me showed clear improvement from the 6N in his fitness and skills, but would like to see him win a lot more contacts next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

I think the point he was making is that Hugh Gavin & Brian Gleeson's situations are identical - they're both 2 year U20s who played a big role last season and this season.

You seemed to imply you were assessing them differently in the following post:

I think a player of Smyths physicality and size is worth a look for sure.

Might need some 1A rugby going forward which would mean a move from Wesley. Hard to say how much senior game time he'd get in Lansdowne, Tarf, Marys, Nure or UCD though. All have pretty good options at hooker. But I'm sure some conversations have taken place.

Spicer still playing like he's a year young which he is. Evan O'Connell didn't get all the headlines last year either.

Any player I can think of in recent times whose had 2 years at this age grade has immeasurably improved in their second year. Spicer will be no different if fitness allows.

I agree with you about his improvement from 6N though. He's in this years academy intake so some full academy s&c combined with plenty of AIL rugby will do him wonders next year.

Advertisement