Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah the internal push to have Biden replaced as candidate has all but stopped after the assassination attempt. They probably figure it's not winnable at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I saw somewhere that statistically the US president is the most dangerous job in the world. 4 out of 46 have been assassinated in office. Not to mention the attempts on Gerald ford and Reagan or the Bobby Kennedy assassination while running for president. Fair to say it’s an extremely dangerous job. And an attempt like this one on Trump was long overdue considering 1981 is well over 40 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I agree with your points on paper, but America is not in that realm anymore

The average American voter who can't decide whether or not to vote for Trump is not a smart or savvy person. They'll vote with their gut, who do you think is really reaching those voters right now? A guy who seems like he has dementia, or a man who was holding his fist up during an assassination attempt?

Trump can be a bigot, a liar, a sex offender, a felon, a racist - none of it means anything when it comes to that all important margin because "Biden is old", or "Harris who?"

I've heard so many off the cuff comments from people that all the Dems need to do is wheel out "a middle aged tall white man with a full head of hair". Can laugh but at this stage they aren't wrong.

If we want to play the numbers game, Clinton was decently ahead in polling average all the way up to election day. Biden is on average 2 points behind, when more polls come out this week he'll be 4 points behind.

If the Dems keep on their current out-of-touch course, it's Trump's election to lose. He doesn't even have to do anything, he can drop the next debate without consequence and can quip that he "has it won and can't understand what the hell the other guy is saying".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,066 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Nah. Biden has a had a pretty horrendous few weeks and even still the polls are not that far apart.

The reality is that the majority of Americans do not want the chaos or detrimental effects of another Trump presidency.

This is not over by a long shot.

If we want to play the numbers game, Clinton was decently ahead in polling average all the way up to election day. Biden is on average 2 points behind, when more polls come out this week he'll be 4 points behind.

Trust is one of the key issues that make up a voters mind, Clinton didn't have it when came to it.

Biden does.

But essentially what you have proved is polling can be deceiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The Democrats that will stay away from the poll booths on the day is likely what will lose it for Biden - voter apathy and a feeling that Trump has won already will keep millions of voters at home - also if Trump tones down his rhetoric they’ll have even less reason to vote against him and I reckon Trump is already thinking that way- finally ethnic minorities won’t see a “saviour” in Biden now given his age and health concerns so as a grouping well known for not voting, they won’t be coming out in force on the day either.

No point in getting a new candidate- you still need Democrats out on the day casting their vote and I just don’t see anyone energising them to do that in such a short space of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Based on his post yesterday, his rhetoric isn't changing.

Biden can afford far more stay at homes than Trump. Again it's basic numbers.

Trump is incapable of toning down his nonsense.

you still need Democrats out on the day casting their vote and I just don’t see anyone energising them to do that in such a short space of time

The incentive is there Trump and now Vance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭briany

Any traditional Republicans who are voting for Trump are helping to enable him and their distaste for him is obviously not as great as their distaste for the other guy getting in. The fact is that the Republican party has been completely remoulded in Trump's image within the last 10 years. Trump's control of the party is so great that his daughter-in-law now sits as co-chair of their national committee. The bloc of voters who would comprise the traditional base have been unable to reverse this shift, meaning they're either voting for him, which makes them part of the problem (if one sees the rise of Trump as a problem) or not doing enough against him. If their number is so great and they don't care for the man, they have to actually show up in some way to that end.

To us I imagine it will always be “nonsense”- but by past standards I’d say he knows what buttons to push and what ones to stay away from - he didn’t get the presidency in 2016 by being stupid- he said the most outrageous things and still won but this time around he knows he can’t rinse and repeat - the recent attempt on his life will boost Trumps numbers and he will aim to win over undecided Republicans who are likely already coming onside now anyway.

I bet on Trump winning in 2016 when people thought I was mad - I wouldn’t at all write him off this time either - for me Biden has a much bigger hill to climb and a lot more chances of another 2-3 major gaffs between now and election day

I see you added to the post above- for me Trump and Vance, in other words the opposition, are not the reasons why the ethnic vote comes out in force - they come out because they believe in their own candidate (Obama for instance) - not because the other guy is terrible - the opposition are always going to be “terrible” to the ethnic minorities - but that doesn’t always get them to the polling stations on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

No boost for Trump on the polls since the shooting, thoughts and prayers

The fact is that the Republican party has been completely remoulded in Trump's image within the last 10 years. 

Doesn't matter, the fact is the Republican support and base has shrank and has continued to do so.

This was normally propped up with moderate independents, they can't stand Trump, not much fans of Biden either TBF.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I dunno. I'd like to think that a lot of Democratic voters will remember what happened when they stayed away in 2016. I'd also like them to remember what happened when they couldn't hold their nose and vote for Clinton because they were too apathetic and believed that Trump could never win.

If they want a repeat of the 2016 result, they just have to repeat their actions that led to Trump's first term.

Democrats need to keep in mind that this isn't about putting Joe Biden into the White House, it's about keeping the most venal political entities OUT of power and not letting their country go further down the toilet.

they come out because they believe in their own candidate (Obama for instance) - not because the other guy is terrible

That isn't true, a sizeable amount of people voted in 2020 not because they liked Biden it's because they hated Trump. Biden beat Obamas voting record as a spritely 77 year old.

Hold your nose and vote was the mantra particularly amongst younger votes.

It is no different this time, there is 2 deeply unpopular candidates on the ballot, it could well come down to the lesser of 2 evils, which by any metric given Trumps damaging legacy and what he has said he will do going forward is Biden.

the recent attempt on his life will boost Trumps numbers

That appears to be the narrative, the reality is I don't actually think it will.

I think it will again highlight the fúcked washing machine of chaos that is Trump and everything around him and I think his hate and divisiveness will be blamed for the shooting.

Also come November people will care about the economy and if their daughters can assess the same level of health care they grew up with up not that a convicted felon was shot at.

I don’t “disagree” in that any rise in “popularity” will ultimately be temporary- whether it lasts till election day let’s see but Trump is definitely going to be changing his narrative at rally’s etc to try and hang on to any gains he might make - I think we’re going to see a different Trump persona put forward for the rest of this campaign- yes it will still be the same Trump behind it all but that’s not what the voters who want to believe in their Republican candidate will see

Ha ha you’re asking a lot of the American voter to cast their minds back 8 years ago - you make total sense but I just don’t think they’ll collectively think like that - and I think the big problem is they don’t even have faith in their own candidate no less Trump- so that’s why I feel voter apathy will take over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭JVince

Remember in the USA 45% will vote Republican even if Mickey Mouse was the candidate and 45% will vote Democrat if Bugs Bunny was the candidate. So in reality its the 10% of the electorate that matters and even then, its just in particular states. So polls will always look very close, but the devil is in the details and its just 7 states that really matter - Nevada, Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Georgia. Those states represent 6% of the electorate!

You will see very few Trump adverts in California and very few Biden adverts in Texas as neither have a hope in hell of winning them, but if you live in one of the 7 swing states, you will be sick of political advertising at this point.

Remember in the USA 45% will vote Republican even if Mickey Mouse was the candidate and 45% will vote Democrat if Bugs Bunny was the candidate.

That was back when politics was some way normal over there.

Now you have Republican Senators openly stating they will not vote for the Republican candidate.

https://mainemorningstar.com/briefs/rather-than-vote-for-trump-sen-collins-plans-to-write-in-nikki-haley-in-november/

He is the ultimate narcist, the idea that he capable of changing his rhetoric is naïve.

He is hated by the majority over there who see him as a dangerous individual who will do anything to win back the office not to better America but to save his own skin, whilst doing so eroding the "freedoms" Americans have become accustomed to.

He has stacked the court with hardliners who have open the door so The President has ultimate immunity. That is beyond dangerous going forward. Not to mention the complete erosion of 50 years of female reproductive health.

Apart from the MAGA loons, no one cares or has any sympathy for someone taking a pot shot at him.

You reap what you sow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭briany

Trump got 74 million votes in 2020. That is the most number of votes for any Republican candidate in history, so if that number was helped to reach by moderate independents, they're probably not as moderate as they think they are, selecting him as he was presiding over the Covid pandemic and making a hames of it by battling with his doctors and being too busy playing political games to get behind basic common-sense public health messaging. If the Republican base is shrinking, then so is the Democratic one, because the latter party look well on track to losing the Presidency, and maybe even Congress as well. If all of these disaffected old-school Republicans who are supposedly out there would show up to the ballot and vote against Trump , they might actually get their party back one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Indeed. And as another poster pointed out, that 10% is not the most politically literate.

Many will vote for their wallet and to them prices "went up" under Biden. Others will vote with their gut or on a whim.

2020 had a movement, a desire to oust Trump, energized younger voters, a new candidate, Biden was on form.

2024 has little or none of that. There's no spark, only a muddled Dem situation. Conversely Trump is going from strength to strength

We see all the same reassurances and comforting talking points being brought out but the reality and polls and bookie odds (that have only been wrong twice in 150 years) paint a different picture entirely.

Trump got 74 million votes in 2020.

Biden got 81 million, the record.

Since then a fair bit has happened with Trump that will certainly put off moderate independents.

Trying to get Pence killed, the insurrection, convicted felon, sex offender, etc, etc.

Conversely Trump is going from strength to strength

He really isn't. If the polls are anything to go by.

Also his VP pick is a disaster.

There was a Republican strategist interviewed on Sky News who echoed the sentiment. She could not get her head around the pick.

Biden has had an absolute mare of a few weeks, and yet they are still in between the margin of error.

Long way to go yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Has there been any polls released that were conducted on Sunday and Monday? I think not.

Its too early to tell yet, give it another few days and we will see the first of them trickle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Also his VP pick is a disaster.

Locking up the Rust Belt, the key to the election is far from a disaster. Vance has a great backstory and will resonate with many middle Americans.

I would have preferred Niki Hayley myself, from a Foreign Policy pov.

Yes, from a voter perspective - you’re looking at the situation from an outsiders perspective - very little of what happened to Trump over the last year before the assassination attempt will be on the minds of Republican voters come election day- however Bidens health and ability to govern will be forefront on the minds of Democrats - I predict many will stay away as they wont want to vote for someone who they feel is not capable of governing- if Trump gets in so be it is how they will think.

• Advertisement

What makes you think he will lock up the Rust Belt? Pence was from the Rust Belt. Biden spent the early part of his life there.

He is from Ohio, a state Trump carried by 8 points in 2020.

If Trump wanted to broaden his appeal by appointing a VP that could achieve that he has completely failed.

By every single metric it is a daft pick.

It also gives the Democrats a massive target to aim at.

First question why are you the running mate of someone you once called Americas Hitler?

Advertisement