Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Ah cheers, honestly knew that but was wondering if Premier will run the ITV feed for Irish subs like last year’s FA Cup.

Not entirely sure if they done that for last years Community Shield

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭fman

My memory is terrible but I found references to premier showing it last year. I think it is included in their fa cup rights and yes as you said a rebroadcast of itv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd be very surprised if they don't rebroadcast ITV's coverage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

if they did it last year they will do it this year.

That will be the last under this deal though, it moves to TNT after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Ah ok. The Premier Sports Ireland website has a rolling list of fixtures up to the end of August, no mention (yet) of the Community Shield. Programme guide only goes up to Monday 29th July for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

https://premiersportsireland.com/uk-football/

Arsenal v Wolves – 17/8/2024

Man City v Ipswich – 24/8/2024

Leicester City v Aston Villa – 31/8/2024

Liverpool v Notts Forrest – 14/9/2024

Liverpool v Bournemouth – 21/9/2024

Arsenal v Leicester – 28/9/2024

Rumours swirling tonight, fuelled by this report by Brendan Fanning on RugbyPass, that Premier Sports have won either all of the rights to the Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup or (in another version of the story also doing the rounds) a share of the rights with TNT retaining a smaller share, in a similar arrangement to what pertained between Sky and TNT’s predecessor BT Sport in 2014-2018

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/premier-sports-swoop-in-for-champions-cup-rights/

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That article reads like a puff piece for Mickey O’Rourke. If PS do get the European rugby rights, how will they manage to fit in everything on their two channels?

One of the reasons the “share the rights” version seems plausible. Premier are already covering 8 games a weekend for the URC, but moving up to the 12 the Champions Cup would require (plus at least some coverage of the European Challenge Cup) seems to be too far.

For me, my worry would be that Premier simply couldn’t do this tournament the justice that we’ve come to expect over the last two decades or so. They simply don’t have the resources that Sky or TNT would have. I would expect a lot of games, certainly those hosted by French, South African, or Italian clubs, to move to whistle to whistle coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Apologies for my ignorance but what does 'whistle to whistle coverage' mean?

Means no pre game build up or post game analysis, half time coverage, if there is any (and there often isn’t on Premier, who prefer to show any one of their myriad of prerecorded clips of goals/tries from the previous week) will just be the commentators talking over some replays. So coverage starts with the kick off whistle (in reality it’ll be a few minutes before to show the team sheets) and ends moments after the final whistle. Hence “ whistle to whistle”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it does seem like TNT is choosing to be more frugal with their money. I don't see Premier Sports getting significant subscribers just from this deal to break even?? Is there that hard core of Rugby supporters that would pay the average price of £15pm to pay for the 6-8million per year its gonna cost PS?

You have to kinda break the market down.

In ROI there’s not much difference between it being on TNT or Premier, from a subscriber point of view it’s the one pack, at least for twelve months more. Really this shouldn’t drive any change in subscription format in this market.

For the UK, I think you need to break it into Scotland/Wales/NI, where the URC’s already on Premier, and so there would be a subscription driver for rugby fans there already, particularly in Scotland where Premier have more or less exclusive rights to Glasgow and Edinburgh games. England is an entirely different kettle of fish, the URC is not a subscription driver there, and so that will be where the main bone of contention over Premier getting the rights may lie. As I recall the 2014-18 split gave BT (as was) first pick over PRL teams home games, and maybe if it really is a split deal there’ll be something similar this time around.

While we wait to hear about the EPCR rights, two rights losses and a renewal for TNT. TNT has lost the rights to the fifth division of English football, the National League (probably more well known by its old moniker of the Conference) which is going to Dazn. They will also be losing the rights to the NBA after next season, which goes back to Sky, along with Amazon and ESPN who will also have rights.

On the positive side they’ve renewed Serie A rights.

The FA Community Shield isn't in the listings for Saturday 10th August. PS1 is showing the friendly between Bayer Leverkusen and Real Betis. This is on both the RoI & GB website. PS2 is showing Irish Open tennis according to the GB listings. No PS2 listings on the RoI site for whatever reason.

If you scroll through the tiles at the top of the page you will see it listed there, Sat 10th August 3pm on Premier 1. I know that contradicts the listings but there’s not a snowballs chance Premier prioritise Leverkeusen v Betis over a Manchester derby when they’ve the rights to both.

Specsavers awaits for me……

You'd think though they'd get something like this right in all fairness.

They have changed the listings now. Well, kind of. They have the Community Shield listed but obviously they know something we don’t about the kick off time because coverage is listed as 3:15-6:30pm.

The match kicks off at 3pm.

Changed again. Programme now starting at 2.30pm and runs to 5.45.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 TonyK45

Premier's scheduling department is poor, but TNT are now becoming as bad. As ICDG mentioned in an earlier post, they have bought the rights to Serie A (for the next three seasons). But up to today, only one game is shown on the listings - on the opening week-end (out of a full 10 fixtures). And Premier, are members of this club also - they haven't listed the two Scottish League Cup games they are showing on 16th/17th August.

Here - I'm talking about the official listings upload site where all the media, and the TV EPGs obtain the schedules. The minimum window they have for print media is eight days (because they have to go to press) - both Premier and TNT are realy cutting it fine. Online versions can show 13 days (although Radio Times restricts it to 9 days, and Sky's online EPG is just 7 days)

@TonyK45 I take you are referring to a site that is for press use only and most of us wouldn’t have access to? I’m not sure that it’s fair to refer to such a site on a public forum?

Incidentally, Premier still don’t have Premier 2 listings back on their website, I know they can be obtained elsewhere (Sky guide online or entertainment.ie).

It is that site - but I don't have access to it anymore - (it used to be free, but now there's an annual charge). But there are numerous, free-to-use commercial on-line listing sites that publish its content. (link below)*. So it is available to the public at large.

*Link here (this is for Sky RoI) - but you can configure whatever your preference - I actually reference both the UK and RoI versions.

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/sky/republic-of-ireland

Yes - noted that Premier sports 2 is not on it's RoI site. Incidentally they have made a great improvements to guide the Premier Sport UK website (it used to just list what was on without identifying which channel) - having said that - it's still not correct!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭kooga

premier sports community shield coverage is the itv feed

So past the 11 am deadline on Monday for the Sky EPG to be updated for the week-end, (yes I know TG4 wait until Wednesday), but everyone else follows the rules. And no sign of Serie A games appearing on TNT sports (apart from the one I mentioned earlier). So this makes me think - the bulk are going to Discover+

So TNT viewers; have now lost Ligue 1, the UK National (Conference) League and now Serie A to streaming alternatives.

Ligue 1 and National to DAZN and Serie A to Discovery+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭fman

I'm not saying you're wrong and drifting towards tnt on discovery would be a particular kick in the teeth for Irish subscribers, but BT/tnt have form for late changes. I seem to remember their last French football renewal saw listings updated as late as the day before airing.

Yeah it’s really odd Genoa v Inter is the one game in the schedule, their new deal gives them the rights to five games per week, they are not committed to showing every game this time round. Discovery+ should not be an option unless the games are made available to ROI subscribers who have Eurosport as part of their plans - even then it’s unfair as Eurosport really has a completely different audience to TNT, and many sports fans won’t have both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,784 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Games could appear on TNT Sports 5-10 which are available via the interactive button. This would be a balls as there's no schedule for them and are not available to Now subscribers or Virgin Media.

There’s a giant TBA shaped hole on Sunday night on TNT 2 which may be Cagliari v Roma.

What seems certain however is that TNT do appear to have lost the rights to French Ligue 1. I hadn’t heard anything about the UK/Ireland rights going to Dazn though, they have done a deal at a very late hour for the domestic rights and maybe it’s the case they needed to be gotten out of the way but scouring both the press release and the Dazn app there’s no sign of UK/ROI rights being included in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭batistuta9

it's Cagliari-Roma according to the sky+ app

Advertisement