Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options
1193194195196197199»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Anyone any idea if the Community Shield is being screened by Premier this August?

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Ah cheers, honestly knew that but was wondering if Premier will run the ITV feed for Irish subs like last year’s FA Cup.

Not entirely sure if they done that for last years Community Shield

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭fman

My memory is terrible but I found references to premier showing it last year. I think it is included in their fa cup rights and yes as you said a rebroadcast of itv.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd be very surprised if they don't rebroadcast ITV's coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

if they did it last year they will do it this year.

That will be the last under this deal though, it moves to TNT after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Ah ok. The Premier Sports Ireland website has a rolling list of fixtures up to the end of August, no mention (yet) of the Community Shield. Programme guide only goes up to Monday 29th July for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

https://premiersportsireland.com/uk-football/

Arsenal v Wolves – 17/8/2024

Man City v Ipswich – 24/8/2024

Leicester City v Aston Villa – 31/8/2024

Liverpool v Notts Forrest – 14/9/2024

Liverpool v Bournemouth – 21/9/2024

Arsenal v Leicester – 28/9/2024

Rumours swirling tonight, fuelled by this report by Brendan Fanning on RugbyPass, that Premier Sports have won either all of the rights to the Champions Cup and European Challenge Cup or (in another version of the story also doing the rounds) a share of the rights with TNT retaining a smaller share, in a similar arrangement to what pertained between Sky and TNT’s predecessor BT Sport in 2014-2018

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/premier-sports-swoop-in-for-champions-cup-rights/

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭cheese sandwich

That article reads like a puff piece for Mickey O’Rourke. If PS do get the European rugby rights, how will they manage to fit in everything on their two channels?

• Advertisement

One of the reasons the “share the rights” version seems plausible. Premier are already covering 8 games a weekend for the URC, but moving up to the 12 the Champions Cup would require (plus at least some coverage of the European Challenge Cup) seems to be too far.

For me, my worry would be that Premier simply couldn’t do this tournament the justice that we’ve come to expect over the last two decades or so. They simply don’t have the resources that Sky or TNT would have. I would expect a lot of games, certainly those hosted by French, South African, or Italian clubs, to move to whistle to whistle coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Apologies for my ignorance but what does 'whistle to whistle coverage' mean?

Means no pre game build up or post game analysis, half time coverage, if there is any (and there often isn’t on Premier, who prefer to show any one of their myriad of prerecorded clips of goals/tries from the previous week) will just be the commentators talking over some replays. So coverage starts with the kick off whistle (in reality it’ll be a few minutes before to show the team sheets) and ends moments after the final whistle. Hence “ whistle to whistle”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

it does seem like TNT is choosing to be more frugal with their money. I don't see Premier Sports getting significant subscribers just from this deal to break even?? Is there that hard core of Rugby supporters that would pay the average price of £15pm to pay for the 6-8million per year its gonna cost PS?

Advertisement