Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options
1101110121013101410151017»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I might be having a senior moment, apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Dow e have a "relative weakness" at 10?

We have four players, like then or loath them both Byrne brothers have played in and won a 6 nations in the last 2 years. Not together of course

We have a young 10 who won a 6 nations and got to a WC final with U20, has played a number of games at senior level and just came back from been a squad member on a, we might as well call it successful tour

We then have a utility player who can play 10, other positions as well who had a huge high at the end of the season

That before you look at others around the squad

None as good as Sexton who will be an alltime great but I don't think any player in the World would replace Sexton

Is it an area of weakness? most clubs in the World would love to have that classed as a weakness

• Registered Users Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think it's likely we'd see Barret at 12 with Henshaw at 13, Ringrose at 23. 14 to be a knife fight between Larmour, Osborne and JOB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think you’re confusing it with “depth”, tho.

Of your starting 15 for next season, who do you think is the weakest? For me, it's clearly your 10 (independent of which player you pick).

Prendergast looks to have a lot of the traits to change it from a relative weakness to an area of strength, imo, but he is still plenty young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

After Ringrose game v SA I think he has firmly positioned himself back as the 13, it will be interesting to see what options they pick moving forward but Barrett is only for 6 months and the injury records of the centres would suggest one will probably be unavailable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Barrett/Ringrose centres imo

Ringrose is a better 13 than henshaw & barrett is a better 12 than henshaw

He could go to 14 on a fully stacked team

Can't ever see him at 10, he is not a 10 & there would be uproar if he did

Enjoy him, it'll be great to see a current All Black playing here

I think Henshaw is better than Ringrose tbh. He disriputes the ball better, and has a better kicking game. Ringrose is probably better at leading the defensive line, but it's a marginal difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ringrose will likely remain club (co-)captain so suspect unlikely he is dropped if fit and firing. The reality is its probably unlikely all these options will be fit and/or available at same time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ersatz

Ringrose finished the second SA test at 14, w Henshaw at 13 and big Stu at 12 in a very good backline. It’s one way to get the best players on the field w Barrett in the mix. Farrell seems to get an extra few prevent out of many of these Leinster players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Tell you something for free.

A lot of people have/ had reservations about Prendergasts size.

Frawley posted a pic on his instagram with all the half backs. Sam towers over them all! It was the first thing I noticed.

I know when you're stood beside Casey that isn't exactly a difficult thing…

I also appreciate that a photo tells only a fraction of a picture and there are mild perspective things at play here. But it's interesting visually to see how much taller Sam is than Frawley and Crowley and even how much broader he looks too.

Preview link is weird - it's the 6th pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Think some of that is camera angle too. Murray also looks like an absolute unit and whilst big (especially for a half back) I’d probably put him as the same size as Frawley although you wouldn’t think it from that photo. No doubt Prendergast is a big fella. All about how he uses that size in defence which seems to be one concern from his underage days. I’ve no doubt he’ll develop it.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,581 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The reservations about prendergasts size is not about his height, it's about his weight.

He will develop into his frame

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

It’s the height to width ratio I think people have focused on, Sam Prendergast has long thin legs compared to his height. It’s a perception that thin long legs are easier to tackle.
    It remains to be seen how he carries himself, his height and weight are both well above average for a 10.
    I should add that in my opinion there’s nothing in it, just people making comments based on his appearance. Sure it’s the same for Casey, he was too small until he wasn’t!

nah not for me.

wiki has frawley at 91, irish rugby and leinster has him at 92, all rugby has him at 98, as has ultimate rugby.

wiki, leinster and all rugby has sam at 91

looking at both i can definitely see Frawley having 5 or 6 kgs on Sam

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The entire "physicality" argument around Prendergast essentially boils down to "he's got small calves". Which, sure, but who cares? His issues in defence were ones of technique and attitude, not physical attributes - and they have already improved a good bit even if it is still not a strength of his.

He's 6'4, he's very usually tall for a 10.

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

But it is relative to height. He is taller than Frawley. It's not just about the dead weight of a player, it has to be the right proportions.

Prendergast is still quite slight in his frame, he's not skinny but he will surely have to bulk up some more. Not unexpected given his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FtD v2

This is 100% it for me.

I haven't seen his lack of physical strength be an issue thus far in his defending, more his positioning and his willingness.

I really hope I'm wrong on this - but so far he hasn't struck me as a guy who loves the physical hitting in the way you ideally want him to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thePigeon_

• Advertisement

bots are getting the AI treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭PMC83

Leinster teasing the new home kit, logos all looks to be sewed on which is nice! Shame their gear is so pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

Yep. Got a few bits on sale a few weeks, too much at full price

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit rich getting a deal with a company that makes shoddy gear, raking in the sponsorship cash and letting them charge nosebleed prices for the kit.

Benefits of a captive AAA fan base I guess.

Advertisement