Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2024 - this time it’s personal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Agree with that. We should be in for some great GTs over the next number of years, and hopefully most of them will see Pog, Vingo and A.N. Other going into them injury free.

Neither of them had ideal preparation for this Tour, so you have to say the best rider will win. There were as many people saying the Giro would prove fatal to Pog in week three as there were saying Vingo's lack of race days would put pay to his chances. It's just refreshing to see the Tour being raced this way after so many years of SuperDom Trains sucking the life out of it. Probably need to go back to Contador for the last time there was a genuine contender who could really put it up to the likes of Sky's strangulation tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's not just Vingo that's been affected by crashes - really most of the visma tour team has been affected or is out. Peak WVA pushes the train that bit further yesterday, Kuss to take over from Jorgenson means Jonas isn't going as far. So really hard to know what would happen without the spring crashes.

Pog has changed coaches and seems to have addressed those big kj days - very noticeable him stuffing his face during the podiums/ interviews this year compared to other years.

As well as nutrition, the top teams have started going further with altitude training. The Performance Process/ Escape Collective has done some stuff on this. Starting at a lower height, moving to higher and/or using an altitude tent at altitude. Nothing would surprise me, but if anything it's financial doping by being able to afford all the time at altitude is probably the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I just wish Pog would put more space (preferably an entire country's worth) between himself and Mauro Gianetti. That man shouldn't be anywhere near the sport, let alone be a team principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,369 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I get the Sky thing but Jumbo did the exact same thing after them and they don't get the same criticism as Sky did for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sky didn't have Pog taking them on. We have two super teams now and that's the big difference. Sky's ability to nominate any auld track rider and drag him into yellow was different to Vingo too.

• Advertisement

UAE have shown themselves quite capable of doing the sky/ postal train several times this tour. As said, there's not one dominant team now with UAE and Visma, but also both teams are prepared to mix it up with other tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The problem some team have is that they started the tour not knowing who their best rider was or at least having someone nominated as their GC contender that wasnt theit best rider.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ineos: Rodriguez. Bora: Roglic. EF: Carapaz.

None of those were in doubt.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

Strange that there was so much doping insinuation after the TT last year... Yet nobody at the press conference seems to be bothered that arguably the three of best climbing performances of the century occurred on Sunday... Even Remco smashed Pantani's old record... And still lost by several minutes. They were all over Jonas after his TT performance last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Blind faith in Sam again today, needs a few things to go his way but 90/1 I’ll have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Not really when you understand why lots of people watch sport; they want to believe in a simple world of fairytales. Pogacar because of his riding style fits into the same category as Pantani/Contador etc, riders with panache and style who get every bounce of the ball.

Riders like Jonas and especially Froome don't get that and get doubted.

Looking at UAE ( a sports washing project like LIV golf or PSG/Man City-(effectively same owners)) from their ownership to to team management I'm not seeing anything like integrity/fair play or just plain decency.

When you put that with 7w/kg for 40 mins on Sunday, especially considering what happened on Saturday, you need to really put your rational brain in neutral to not be at least super suspicious.

When a rider has panache/guts/style we let emotions take ever and convince ourselves its real this time; its the bike technology, tyres, training protocols etc etc.

You can just be a cynic like me and watch Eurosport with the same part of your brain that's engaged for Netflix.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm suspicious about them all but I love the sport so I have to just put it to one side and enjoy the drama for what it is. Nobody gets a bye but yes Pog is much more box office so will inevitably be more liked and maybe less scrutinised.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Aurelian

I find Pogacar easier to get behind because he is personable, is a known talent since a teenager, has lost 2 TDFs, has blown up a few times and even this year was dragged back and beaten on the line by Vingegaard.

Sunday was exceptional but given what happened the previous week he might not have pulled off that 5k attack.

To many viewers Vingo's has a suspiciously familiar "out of nowhere" storyline. Pog has been earmarked as a boy wonder all the way through.

It didn't help that without Vingo Visma were still blitzing everyone. Rog and Vingo was one thing but then (after the TT obviously) a 3rd GT with a 3rd rider and WvA ripping it up alongside them all year.

So just saying that TT Vs last weekend doesn't tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭G1032

The sport just simply cannot afford another scandal like we had with Festina or Armstrong. Traditional doping, if it's happening 🙄, is much the lesser of 2 evils where mechanical doping is concerned. Maybe, just maybe, journos have satisfied themselves that there is no mechanical doping in the WT and are happy to leave it at that.

The ordinary viewer has to be living with his/her head in the clouds if they think these athletes aren't absolutlely lit. I have long since accepted that when watching most, if not all elite sports on TV , that I can be, let's just say a little bit sceptical, but still enjoy the entertainment for what it is. They are still phenomenal athletes doing phenomenal things and are amazing to watch.

I find Pogacar easier to get behind because he is personable

This isn't meant directly, but generally this is the reason why Vingo is doubted and Pog isn't.

Personally, Gianetti nags at me far more than any of the others involved at the moment, including than the whole "Visma were Rabobank" stuff. But ultimately I don't believe you can make judgements purely on performance - there seems to be no smoke, let alone fire, on any other level. And even during the dark days there was always rumours and dot joining.

"All Pro Tour cyclists are juiced" is such an easy broad brush stroke to make. The same comments are rarely made about T&F athletes (despite them having as much history with the problem). We're all wetting ourselves with excitement to see how our new track stars get on in Paris… not a peep. And we won't even bother talking about sports like rugby, where they pretty much openly admit to taking PEDs without fear or embarrassment. So much money involved in football that I'd be surprised if it wasn't widely accepted as part of the game dressed up as 'nutrition'/ 'science'. Ditto tennis. And I'd be shocked if it wasn't rife in golf where the top players increasingly rely on smashing the ball a mile down the fairway in ways that only outliers like John Daly used to. Woods is still pretty ripped for an aul fella.

As for US Sports… football, baseball… well.

But it seems only cycling fans who need to carry the yoke. Although of course the Irish lads are always seen as clean as a whistle of course.

Be cynical all you like, no judgment or argument from me there. But maybe we could keep it to the designated thread unless there's any actual evidence? And people who want to debate the merits/ demerits of various arguments can do that there? It just takes away from the actual Tour if its dropped into conversation here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Sunday's performance is the equivalent of someone running 1:59 for the marathon in the Olympics and just nodding along going isn't that great.

Because all pro sports are probably filthy (and get a free pass with the media) is irrelevant in terms of the weekend.

He's 10% above what's considered the limit of clean human performance; in or about 6.4W/Kg. It's not for 20 mins but 40 on the second week of his second grand tour.

He's taking 4mins (10%) out of Pantani on EPO, but hardly a whimper in the thread. "The greatest climb of the century" or similar was headline in a few different reports.

Boy wonder my hole; he's being compared to generations of boy wonders many juiced and he's wiping the floor with them.

If he's managerial team is coaching him clean; it's the first time in their career. Think on that.

Well what exactly do you want us to do ?

Stop watching,

keep watching but give ourselves 5 lashes of the whip every day,

watch while miserably hating the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭dahat

As mentioned earlier we should watch cycling with our Netflix brain!!!

If they are dirty the fall out will epic.

No. I don't think he's saying that, but at least watch the TdF and all elite sports with your eyes open. Watch it for the entertainment and still marvel at what they're able to do but you just cannot take any epic sporting feat at face value. Watch it and enjoy it but don't try to convince yourself that it's clean. That's just living in cloud cuckoo land.

I do watch it with my eyes open.

What I don't do is spend every day post race having the same repetitive "their all doped" conversation.

Like I actually don't know what the fuk the point of those posts are. No one here has their eyes closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I thought the accepted practice here was to keep discussions about doping separate to competitions threads. Discussing the race does not imply that people are naive about doping. Doping in sport is an overarching issue and merits discussion in a separate thread in my view.

Eye's have to be not closed to training and nutrition having come on leaps and bounds in recent years too, as has technology and knowledge of technology. It's easy to forget that science was basically ignored for the best part of 2 decades in the sport!

This is a quote from someone a few posts back

I’ll believe in Pogacar until someone can prove differently

anyway, back to today. Nothing much happening. 3km to go to intermediate sprint. Talk of possible crosswinds soon. Fingers crossed

• Advertisement

Yeah. But there's a separate thread for that discussion. Otherwise it means people who read posts like that but who for whatever reason don't want to get into the doping speculation and just want to discuss the Tour itself have a choice of either a) engaging in the discussion, depressing themselves and losing track of the race discussion or b) ignore it and be seen by implication to be in agreement with the general consensus.

Advertisement