Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

What exactly is the plan after hundreds of thousands of refugees over many years are brought to this country and given citizenship by the government?

Is there a plan to educate them in adult education centres so that they speak English, have arithmetical ability and know enough about this country to assimilate and live in it? Should they then take a citizenship test as is required in other countries?

How are they to be housed because surely setting up an Irish version of Brazilian favelas in working class areas like Coolock is not a long term solution? Are they expected to get jobs to pay for their own accommodation costs? How can they afford to live in Dublin if the Irish are emigrating because they cannot afford to live in Dublin?

What is the expectation if they are married with children and their wife and children are abroad? Should they automatically be allowed to join them?

What are the implications for this country and its predominantly Christian faith? with other religions being accommodated how are places of worship going to be set up?

There simply is NO PLAN from FF/FG and their paid off QUANGOs and NGOs except to state that the plan seems to be: "Dump these refugees in working class areas and if they have a problem with it get the media/courts to call them scumbags, right wing and/or sentence them"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Some do care, yes. And going by how some others talk about working class and Irish people I'd say some don't

I don't think its whataboutery to be annoyed at the vast amounts of money that are spent on IPAs while other aspects are ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Maybe there hired by government. Wouldn't put it past them at this stage🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It truly amazes me. We spent years knocking down the Ballymun towers because of the effects of social deprivation, and now we're building worse in every city and town across the country. Tents everywhere, hoardes of unemployed hanging around the city centres and towns and dependent on benefits. As a result crime is increasing because in many cases we don't know the backgrounds of the people we are allowing into our country. Irish favelas denying access to spots like the Grand Canal in Dublin.

And where's the additional investment in housing, education, crime prevention and health? The only investment appears to be in social welfare.

Meanwhile an entire generation of Irish teachers, doctors, nurses, gardaí, plumbers, carpenters are all emigrating.

How long is this sustainable for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

And they wonder why people have no respect for the Garda.The POU is totally unsuited for this type of policing, to chase down a non threatening protestor and viciously assault him is contemptible.

GSOC should be investigating this whole fiasco but they probably wont if none of the victims complain, where are all the civil right groups raising concerns about this excessive police brutality?not a peep out of them, I assume they only care about people that have the same political leanings as them.

This country is in crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would imagine the garda would he heroes to some posters here if they gave climate protesters blocking a road a few smacks.

Our garda are generally the most hands off police force I've come across but if you are part of a gang throwing objects at them you should probably expect a few slaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Should I expect a few slaps if I am a peaceful protestor,because it appears some peaceful protestors were assaulted by the POU,.,

Never had you down for someone who advocates violence against peaceful protestors but then again their politics dont align with your politics so youd be happy to see the "enemy" get a few slaps.

haven't really watched any of the footage but i assumed the f**kers attacking the police were the ones who were hit

We know how this works. It's ACAB when it's someone on their side and ah sure the gardai are not tough enough and people need ankle bracelets and hate speech laws when it's the opposite side

• Advertisement

Can anyone share any footage of protestors throwing things? What did they throw?

They will call it collateral damage, if you dont want a few slaps from the POU dont attend protests is the message, even Harris the younger has declared there were no protestors in coolock last night just thugs, its just a matter of time before some peaceful protests will be outlawed, our civil right are being eroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is bizarre ridiculous logic. You are trying to compare a few troublesome tenants next door to an IPAS asylum centre with 500+ non national, mostly young men.

The comparison is so facile that it's laughable. Those proposing and defending these policies will have to work a lot harder to persuade the many who are very sceptical.

well i know the other residents on boards that live in the east wall/north strand area will tell you the IPAS centre isn't what causes issues around here, it seems to be only locals causing the anti social problems in the neighbourhood. i would imagine it would be the same if the one on the malahide road opened, most of these IPAS guys just seem to keep their heads down and go unnoticed.

That's anecdotal. And that area is nowhere near as deprived as Coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean there are videos of elderly after being pepper sprayed.

They're not fit to be guards if they need to pepper spray or feel threatened by an elderly woman on crutches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What's that observation got to do with the need for proper public consultation and planning permission??

the area around the paint factory isn't all deprived, it's as close or even closer to nice areas as it is to priorswood and darndale etc.

A 78 year old man was pepper sprayed and the woman on crutches was terminally ill. What they did could have caused a heart attack, it's very scary

• Registered Users Posts: 18,594 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The ironic thing is that it's the 'protesters' who are mostly causing all the problems in these areas, not asylum seekers (heavily ironic given that the same individuals are accusing refugees of being scroungers and criminals).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I had said criminals living next door.

You know, as opposed to having people from a group no more likely to commit crime than the general population.

Plenty of people over the years have been lumped with the former, had no right to object, and didn't go around causing huge destruction and violence.

Most people understand that we don't get to chose who lives in our neighborhoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Look at the video posted on the previous page and get back to us.

A man up against a wall not throwing anything rugby tackled to the ground and then beaten with a baton.

You will have no leg to stand on if you watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

You mean that video that doesn't show us what he was up to beforehand?

I'd like to know the full story before I draw any conclusions.

Without knowing that, and given the overall criminality yesterday, I'd be giving the benefit of the doubt to AGS.

If it turned out that the victim was peaceful and not involved in thuggery would you condemn the actions of the POU? or do you think anybody in the vicinity of the protest put themselves in harms way and got what they deserved?

Its funny to think that some of you would probably have referred to those in the Stonewall riots- how Pride came about- as thugs and criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I wouldn't give the benefit to the guards at all. There's not much that guy could have gone to deserve baton lashes as he was already restrained on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,587 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Of course there will be people claiming to be peacefully protesting. You’re in and around thugs then the gardai can rightly and logically assume you to be a threat. You don’t want to be smacked? Go home. Folks expecting gardai to conduct interviews during these very hostile situations?!

What is POU?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭foxsake

you're a strange fella.

we are talking about rioters but the people who were there and non rioter who were attacked by the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

What he was doing previously doesn't really actually matter. The gardai are only meant to use the amount of force necessary to conduct the arrest.

• Advertisement

No they can't,they have to assess the risk they are facing and then act in the appropriate manner,that is why they are trained,they cannot batter peaceful protestors without sanction,we are not some third world country with no oversight of police actions.

POU public order unit.

Advertisement