Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭tommythecat

We love our EV6. Have it 18 months and cannot fault it really. Only the maps are a bit poor, other than that it's a super car.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Raoul

Following up on this. It was a temperature sensor on the charging port that failed. Have to wait a few weeks for the part to come in. They also updated the software as my car was one of the ones that had an iccu recall even though I wasn't informed until I called about the charging issue.

Not going to lie, it's a bit of a damp squib telling people that are on the fence about EVs that there is something wrong with the charger port and it didn't charge properly when we were away on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭eltoastero

It's a great car that does every very well. It's comfortable, it's roomy without feeling like a bus, it charges like a beast, it drives well and so the controls are much easier to use than other cars I've driven (I'm talking about physical buttons on the steering wheel, actual wiper controls, even the touch sensitive climate/radio bar is easier to use than an on screen menu). This might seem small, but to me it's worth so much - being able to turn off lane keep assistant with one press of a button on the steering wheel (Rather than several presses into a menu) - if you want to do this on every drive then maybe this is a valid point to know.

As others have posted, the maps & charge planning in car is poor. Android Auto / Carplay fixes part of that but trying to figure out a charging solution while driving isn't great to be honest (but it's probably not a lot worse than any other brand really).

If I'd to replace mine now I don't know what I'd pick to replace it, nothing out there would suit my needs any better ….. expect I might try to get the AWD version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭joe1303l

An e-Tron GT or a Taycan would be a nice upgrade ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Maybe have a look at a Polestar 2. Around the same price as the EV6 but the maps and route planning, charge scheduling and infotainment are way better. Nothing like sitting on your sofa, setting your route on google maps on your phone and just sending it to the car. Then in the car it tells you your estimated SoC on arrival and return (hellishly accurate) and if you need a charge, finds chargers en route and tells you how long you need to stop for.

Both would be a savage upgrade, unfortunately neither would fit the 3rd kid (maybe that's a positive)

I've talked a couple of people into a P2, both love the car (and I agree, does a lot of things right). But unfortunately I could get my 3 child seats into it. One for the future maybe (or if we ever get a second car).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,255 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Would a third child seat fit in a VW Buzz? Some 2024 seem to be available for mid 40s now.

I expect so (the Buzz wasn't available when I bought but haven't researched it since). I've seen a few about, very cool, hopefully they release the two-tone here soon.

• Advertisement

Two Tone on an ID.Buzz easily replicated with a top half wrap and probably cheaper too. It’s the LWB model with 3rd row seating that might be worth waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanoh

Kia Connection Issue

My EV6 isn't responding on the app and the live traffic has stopped working also since last week. I wondered if it was related to the Crowdstrike issue but it hasn't resolved - anyone else any issues?

Only thing I was thinking is I had the firmware updated 6 months ago but only just noticed that fly by wire updates were disabled. I've enabled that now but nothing happening. Bought it in Jan 2022. Any thoughts welcome!

Connection to the app is working. I'm not in the car to check the live traffic. I usually use android auto tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭barryj

Resetting the head unit may sort out the the traffic/non response issue.

Solved similar for me previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭TOLLOT

same here , reset head unit with a paper clip as barryj suggested .
    it worked for me .

My app and traffic had been out for. Few days beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ballylad

anyone have a ev6 GT in group, any feedback appreciated Thnks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 shanoh

Thanks, this worked! Appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bootser

Hi All, I'm due to trade in my 212 ID3 and pick up a 221 EV6 next week! Any tips for anything to look out for before I leave the dealers? TIA

Ask them to update all the software ( I asked but it wasn't done and I had to do it myself ) and delete the previous person's profile. The latter is a pain in the arse to sort out with customer service if you need to do that. Check for paint chips, the dealer I bought from fixed them all prior to me collecting. The paint chips easily too so there could be a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭ffocused

Download the Kia Connect app and set up your account prior to collecting and you should be able to quickly register the car from a QR code on infotainment screen or by using the VIN number before driving off.
    If still registered to previous owner, get the garage to sort it. If they took it as trade in, they should be able to call previous owner and ask them to delete the car from their account.

Issues myself and others had with early models 212/221 to look for that warranty should cover.

1. Check bottom of both headlight clusters for cracks.
    2. Check silver trim piece around airbag cover on steering wheel for cracks/breaks beside buttons
    3. Ensure all door handles pop out and retract (assuming it is an Irish car, as not all UK versions have automatic pop out handles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bootser

Yeah, think there may be cracks on the bottom of the headlights. So is this a warranty fix? That would be great if so!

One of mine had cracks and I got it replaced under warranty.

Brian from EVOdyssey on YouTube had it on both of his and got them replaced, so I decided to ask when it was serviced in January.

It took a while to get it approved by Kia, but got a new one fitted about 2 months ago. Dealer told me that a new headlight unit costs about €1700 each for Earth spec, so definitely worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Both of my front headlight units cracked entirely within 2 months after getting my earth model brand new in August '22.

Had to fight at the time to get them replaced under warranty. Eventually succeeded. But have been told by the rep since then that it's an "unofficial recall issue" due to the amount of similar complaints. Mine happened before it was recognised as a widespread problem, hence the resistance on Kia's part to fix it under warranty.

But if there's even a slight crack in any light unit, bring it to their attention and inform them that you know this is a problem with the earth models etc.

Are the headlights different on GT-Line models ?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Cristobaal

I got mine EV6 in June, it's 221 Earth model. After reading your post, I went to check the headlights on mine just to discover exactly the same issue in both. Looks like stress marks/cracks. I'm planning to go to the local dealership in a few days to ask for the replacement. Any particular approach you can recommend?

Yes, GT- Line has AFLS headlights with 4 led units (first pic), Earth has 2 leds in a standard reflector unit (second pic)

The current runoff Earth special edition also has the better AFLS headlights fitted.

I just said I know of others who have had the same issue and got them replaced. They took pictures and sent off to Kia for warranty claim, but I had to chase them up a few times for an update before eventually getting it done.

I think the problem is lack of any padding under the headlight which I assume has been addressed with later models. I got mine in Jan 22 so was part one of the first deliveries.

If the bonnet is opened regularly I would guess it is more likely to happen. I only use my frunk for charging cables and don’t open it very often as I have a tethered home charger and must have closed it a bit too aggressively once or twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭pah

Why in Gods name would you be picking up a car next week if you know it has cracked headlights

• Advertisement

Well hopefully you won't need to argue with them to the extent that I did.

Yeah as was said above, say that you noticed it and heard that it's a known fault. I think they've all got the memo by now so you should be looked after.

Good luck!

Advertisement