Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA 2024 presidential election

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Average Americans are not particularly politically literate though, I don't think, and most will vote with their pockets.

Will say...I had more money under Trump and he's promising more tax cuts.

Simple messages can be very powerful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Correct.

People grossly overestimate the average American voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I cannot believe there are still key Dems pushing to keep Biden or run Harris. Utterly disconnected from the reality of this situation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Ohio Sen. JD Vance has been formally nominated as Donald Trump’s vice president by acclamation.

The new Republican vice-presidential pick is the embodiment of Trump’s “America First” policies.
    Sen. JD Vance is part of a new generation of pro-Trump lawmakers who reject the traditional US foreign policy consensus. He
    traveled to the belly of the internationalist beast at the Munich Security Conference earlier this year to rebuke America’s European allies. And at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in the US, he explained why America should no longer finance Ukraine’s fight for its freedom.

“I have … Republican colleagues, who are much more emotionally invested in what’s going on 6,000 miles away than they are in their own country,” Vance said at the conference. He backs Trump’s position that the war in Ukraine should end and the killing should stop.“It’s good for the country to have somebody saying, ‘How long does this go on? How much money are we supposed to funnel into this country?’” said Vance, who has also argued the US lacks the manufacturing capacity or sufficient military reserves to send more ammunition to Ukraine. “If you care about Ukraine, but most importantly, if you care about America, you should be wanting this thing to come to some diplomatic resolution."

Taken from CNN; I guess he paid the most to Trump for it…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Derkaiser93

I'm not saying she'd be an amazing president but Michelle Obama is the candidate the dems should replace Biden with. She'd have a great chance of winning it. Charismatic, young, well known and well liked. She'd mobilise the dem voter base and that's all it takes to beat Trump.

She'd tap into the black vote (where Bidens particularly struggling now), females and the usual standard dem base. The left voters would also be able to tolerate her enough to get out and go with her over Trump.

Most of the voters who would have an issue with her being a black woman are all already casting their ballot for Trump.

Almost any candidate coming in for Biden now would see a jump in the polls simply because their brains not soup and they're not assisting a Genocide. Kamala would be the weakest option though cause although she ticks some of the same boxes as Michelle she's not popular and frankly cringe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I don't think its time to be down at Paddy Powers with the life savings, but it does feel like the Dems can't just muddle along if they are serious about beating Trump so yeah Biden probably needs to go. Michelle would be a fun candidate but never heard a word about her wanting the job so its probably Newsom, Harris or Whitmer if Joe steps away .

On the VP slot, think this is a poor call from Trump. Vance has little political experience and his only political win was in a very red state where he underperformed. Burgum, Rubio and Youngkin were in contention and all those especially Youngkin would have brought more voters than Vance does.

I think Trump is strong fav still, but does feel like a missed opportunity from Trump to stomp the Dems with this bizarre choice as VP when the likes of Youngkin and Rubio were right their.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Michelle Obama would be a dreadful candidate and I'd rather the US didn't go further down the road of celebrity candidates - which is essentially all she would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I know lads who were in America on J1 visas and got cheques with Trumps signature on them, posted to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember Freakonomics did a really good podcast years ago where they assessed how much control the sitting President actually had over the state of the economy of the country. Ultimately they determined that in the short term (ie the duration of their time in office) they had next to no influence whatsoever.

Trump had the fortune of riding an economic wave that he had nothing to do with but the average voter doesn't realise that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Michelle Obama?

Ah lads, I know recent events seem like some Hollywood nightmare, but let's not go overboard here… how many times does it need repeating that Michelle has repeatedly, quite definitively shot down the idea of going anywhere near politics. Indeed has, IIRC, been quite vocal about how Barack's own career nearly ruined their marriage?

Name-dropping Dwayne Johnson would be more credible or realistic than noting Michelle Obama at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And, just like those folks from Texas I posted about the other day, when I mentioned 'he's going to impose tariffs, so you'll pay more for things,'…. well, how do you square the circle?

Also, someone mentioned 'cheques signed by Trump.' That was during Covid. You want those cheques back? Bring back the pandemic ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Democrats will never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. This is 2016 all over again, where the message from voters is clear, they want change, and the DNC is busy telling them to shut up and vote. Cue the Pikachu faces when they lose another election.

I don't know how good or bad a president she would be. I'd imagine she'd be a standard dem centrist like her husband and Biden etc. But she'd be a popular candidate and would have enough to beat Trump. Trump wouldn't be that difficult to beat , but the left and centre are screaming out for an acceptable candidate that's not brain dead and linked to Genocide. Michelle Obama is popular and some polls have even showed she'd potentially smash Trump.

Unfortunately it's all hypothetical cause I think it would be hard to get her to run as she's on record saying she wouldn't.

Yeah that's true that's she's unlikely to take the role if offered. She sounds like she has no interest in going into politics. Maybe she could be convinced if she felt it was a necessity for the US and world as whole to stop Trump. But yeah its all speculative and hypothetical

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the future of the Democrat party lie with someone outside it & singularly hostile to the entire concept of career politics, then perhaps American democracy is truly past saving. You may as well say the DNC should ask Tom Hanks to step forward as a replacement candidate; another beloved figure sure but not anyone even remotely suited to, or interested in, politics.

There's an odd, slightly sickening parallel to be drawn here with Ruth Bader Ginsburg: liberal America could have replaced her when they had the chance - though I believe RBG herself refused to step aside - knowing that she was very old & any incoming Republican presidency would certainly drop in someone much more conservative.

Lo & behold, Trump got the nod, air-dropped enough Supreme Court judges to skew the entire bench conservative - and bang went Roe v. Wade, with mutterings about same-sex marriage also in their sights. Then of course there's the more recent judgement that would have made Watergate legal (IIRC) and now tees up Trump to basically act like a monarch.

I did ask the question, and still do, of who would replace Biden were he to step down (and like Ginsberg, apparently won't anyway) so I do think their options are much more limited than finding a liberal judge from somewhere … but once again in hoping to outlive malevolency the Democrats could end up doing more harm than good. This time Trump and his cohort have openly promised to demolish the republic, his supporters egging him on to burn it all down.

Even if Trump loses in November? We saw what happened the last time & it's gonna be twice as ugly this time around; I increasingly fail to see how American democracy is gonna survive all this in one piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

This is the BS that got us where we are. Trump not being difficult to beat. Biden barely beat him nine 2020. For the last 2-3 months the polling numbers have been agaist Biden especially in the swing stages. Too many stuck there heads in the sand waiting for the Biden funding to kick in, however all the time Trump was building momentum.

After the poor showing in the debates that was it. But the democratic party messed this up from the start of the year and failed to grasp the nettle.

We are looking now at not just a Trump victory but that he will have control of Senate and Congress for the next two years at least.

TThere Is no options now even if a video emerged of Trump having sex with a minor he is going to win. He was always going to win. He us like Charlie Haughy that way nothing sticks. The Democrats taught he would crawl away after the left the White House amd that was the error they made. They should have pursued him straight after the riots.

Stupid is what Stupid dose and that describes the Democratic party

Slava Ukrainii

TThere Is no options now even if a video emerged of Trump having sex with a minor he is going to win.

I'm not even sure that'd be enough to swing certain cohorts of the Christian Conservatives cult; manys a red state seems OK with marrying children or your cousin, while Matt Gaetz appears still to have a career and presence in the GOP despite his behaviour.

Remember: this is a cult. A cult happy to project their own moral failings onto the perceived, invented enemy out to corrupt children and destroy America. I'm not sure what Trump could say or do to make the MAGA crowd jettison their support 'cos at this stage it's dogmatic & deeply fundamentalist.

Any video or audio that emerged that was in anyway damaging to Trump (e.g. the Access Hollywood tape) would just be fobbed off as an AI-generated fake by him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was right when he said he could literally murder someone without losing a single vote.

The only thing I think he could do to lose cultists is to dial back on his rhetoric as he did with vaccines for which he got booed. He won't make that mistake again. Of course, he hasn't visited or looked in on the family of the man who was killed at his rally and nobody's batting an eyelid.

I wouldn't call what they have a democracy at this point. You have a council of unelected people in black who can arbitrarily strip the whole population of rights at will, a document nobody can question, much less alter, and an electoral game rigged in favour of one side. Here in the UK, people are beginning to question our dysfunctional voting system but even that will take a long time to grow. The US looks like a one party state with the burden of a second party.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I wouldn't call what they have a democracy at this point. You have a council of unelected people in black who can arbitrarily strip the whole population of rights at will, a document nobody can question, much less alter, and an electoral game rigged in favour of one side. Here in the UK, people are beginning to question our dysfunctional voting system but even that will take a long time to grow. The US looks like a one party state with the burden of a second party.

I don't disagree with that and TBH were it some isolate tinpot country I'd dust my hands and let the country rip itself apart as the geopolitical equivalent of slowing down to look at the car crash; however socially, culturally & politically the US exists as the 500lb gorilla on the world stage; Trump 2.0, emboldened by the Supreme Court, Project 2025 and the plainly obvious brain rot, will have an extremely deleterious effect on geopolitics and our social stability. It has flaws but still contains a degree of checks and boundaries on its politicians own impulses and without those, you're looking at something more like Russia.

Not like many countries don't have adequate, valid hostile opinions towards America's approach to geopolitics (case in point: the entirety of Central America), but you can look across its history and see … well, if not always moral men in charge then at least broadly sober, adult ones. The patina of civility was thin but it was still an affectation all the same. I'm intentionally trying to hobble a leaning towards hyperbole, but it's hard not to see any outcome here that wouldn't be extremely problematic for the rest of us.

I don't mind admitting, I haven't had political events cause this much anxiety and stress for the future, in a long time. I hope I'm way off base and wrong but there's a sick feeling in my stomach we're on the precipice of something dark.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I hate to catastrophise but it almost doesn't matter what happens in November. The best result is that Biden wins but then Project 2025 becomes Project 2029. If Trump is at liberty and still alive, he'll be back in 2028 against some rookie Democrat who'll need his party to be riding a tailwind to have any kind of chance.

Biden, or anyone else, is not able to make the kind of structural, political changes that are necessary to fix America's social ills. The Heritage Foundation has been planning this for some time and at some point, the Democrats will forfeit the White House.

The whole liberal democratic model around the world is creaking. When existence becomes a slog for too many people, hucksters like Trump thrive. The requisite conditions are all there: easy accessibility to firearms, hordes of disaffected young men, religious fanaticism, mass communication, etc…

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I fully agree about the Dems being stupid and Bidens a poor candidate. That doesn't make Trump difficult or impossible to beat. He's far more difficult to beat considering who he is and what he's said and done, but Biden was a poor candidate in 2020 also. The embodiment of the dem status quo, old , low energy. He only won cause It was a vote against Trump. I think this time he's even too poor a candidate to make up for it , with his mental failings, Genocide, inflation and geopolitics in crisis. That's why I'm saying someone decently popular with the public who can recapture most of Bidens 2020 vote is enough.

Medium to long term though America and the dems need to sort their **** out. Their neo Liberal policies have bought America to this much like most of Europe as well. Until they fix Americas many social and economic issues the republicans and far right are gonna remain a major major threat with a lot of support. And to be honest it may already be too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'll admit to being a fairweather watcher of US politics. Close friend of mine(From the states) sent me this a few days ago with regards Media and their leaning which i found to be quite interesting

One can look at that and say "Oh look there is a left-wing bias in the main stream media (the ones ate the top)"

An alternative take would be that the Republican Party has gone so extreme in the past 10 years that they have actually shifted the entire landscape so that centrist outlets now appear to be partisan just because they try and fact check trump's lies.

It's very interesting the big gap between the moderately conservative outlets such as the WSJ and the likes of Fox News where there is nothing at all. I don't know why that is but I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure also that CNN will have shifted over to the right side of the chart now after the new owners came in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't know how good or bad a president she would be. I'd imagine she'd be a standard dem centrist like her husband and Biden etc

Nobody knows or has any way of knowing. Nobody even knows her politics in the slightest - for all we know she is a borderline Republican who was just supporting her husband. She has shown nothing to suggest she has any capability for the job whatsoever.

It would be the height of insanity and more celebrity candidates are the last thing needed.

I've said it before but Michelle Obama is basically a proxy for her husband in many people's eyes. Ideally they'd love to have him back in but since that's impossible then she's the next best thing for them.

• Never mind that she has absolutely no legislative or governing experience.
    • Never mind that she has repeatedly indicated that she has no interest in running.
    • Never mind that her husband has stated that she doesn't even like talking about politics

She can give a good speech and she has the right surname. That's close enough for them.

• Advertisement

Obviously it doesn't count here for those name-checking Michelle, but in terms of Americans doing same, it does kinda reinforce my theory that they love dynasties and the idea of "ruling" families. Clinton, Bush, Kennedy, Trump, Obama: their obsession with the British Royal Family by proxy … I've never shaken the sense that a large clutch of Americans prefer something more regal or inherited in their power structures. Hence what I've seen to be a fairly short jump towards the myth of Strongman Trump to rule over everyone.

Advertisement