Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So you didn't see most of his games.

The games you did see he played fantastic in but not as an attacking mid/no.10. He was all over the pitch working hard, defending and being an outlet deep in their own half and in midfield. The reason he was being subbed was because of the amount of work he did.

His games for England weren't great just like Foden, Saka and Kane. That's down to the clueless manager.

I'm not saying he should win the Ballon D'Or this year but he has to be a leading contender. I don't hear anybody mentioning Vini Junior either which surprises me.

Rodri should get it, Dani Carvajal should be a serious contender. I'm concerned that an attacker might get it because it's the norm.

If it's going to be a forward I think it'll be Lautaro Martinez. He was the runaway top scorer in serie A and was top scorer in the Copa America and he plays for the no.1 ranked international side in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I agree, they should build the whole thing around Jack Grealish😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Southgate has officially left his role as England manager.

Two Euro finals, a WC semi and quarter final and treated like absolute sh!t by sections of the English media and fanfase.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

he has a good record and should enjoy his achievements. I wouldn’t give him a big job though… maybe he’d like the USA job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

Palmer seems like he likes to do his own thing....could have rubbed Pep up the wrong way

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ElJaguar

I wonder will Eddie Howe be the favourite to succeed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No surprise, really. I don't see how his tournament style has evolved and it just doesn't work enough for them.

It'll be interesting to see who's next. Allardyce or Hodgson to make a comeback? Martinez to waste another talented group of players?

In all seriousness, I'm not sure who they'll go for. Potter's still available, I imagine. Or someone like Howe or O'Neil. I'd reckon that's about the best they can hope for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yeah seems like he's been waiting for this, rejected at least a couple offers from other teams in the past year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭JDigweed

It's funny, he's almost been forgotten about. His directness and dribbling on the left would have caused big problems for the weaker teams

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

His falling over & diving every time an opponent farts near him would certainly have caused problems for weaker teams right enough . . . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

And have you heard a lot of the pundits mentioning Pep or Klopp or Poch. It's an insult to those three to even suggest they might consider the England job let alone take it and they wonder why the rest of the world considers them arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

and to think we were worried about going into that game in September, without a manager 😛

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Been the same for years. I remember Ferguson and Mourinho being linked to the England job many moons ago when they where at the height of their careers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Lee Carsley is also being mentioned. I wonder if the FA will look at how de la Fuente was in charge of the Spanish U21s for four years, and therefore, knew a lot of the current senior squad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

They don't need to look past Gareth to see how well that worked for them.

The English fans booed his name at all the matches in Germany. They threw beer cups at him when they lost pre tournament friendlies. He was a conservative coach but his record is second only to Alf Ramsey. Two Euro finals and a World Cup semi final. I think he probably got the best out of them in terms of results. The England players aren’t good enough to win tournaments, there’s always a couple of teams or more that are better than them in every tournament that they participate in. They might try to play more attacking football but they won’t do better with a different manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Might've alright, but given that they had that sort of player on the bench already in Eze and Gordon, and barely bothered using them, Graelish likely would've been the same. The squad they brought was grand (left back aside), they just didn't use it very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They're definitely good enough to win tournaments!

They have a few of the best players from the last 2 champions league winners and capable operators all over the pitch. They should have gone out in the round of 16 and that would have been disgraceful. No reason why Saka, Bellingham and Foden behind Kane should not have been able to work with the right tweaks. The Spanish players in the same positions have had nowhere near the impact at club level of those for the last season or so but lifted their game while England's players still were within themselves.

You're right in that Southgate has done a good job but that's more when he was playing with Lingard and the likes rather than what he has now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,931 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I think Southgate did plenty of good at previous tournaments but this one was carried almost entirely by the players. They created almost no chances and every goal they scored was just some moment of individual brilliance, often late in the game where it looked like he was completely out of ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think the opportunity was lost in the last Euros against Italy as any team would have struggled to beat Spain this year.

The narrative for England this year was played out long before a ball was kicked, defensive football, no recognised system, and beaten when coming up against a quality team. With all the infrastructure, time and money invested, St George’s Park etc England should be at the level of France, Spain, Italy and Germany these countries all go through the occasional bad patch but also notch up the trophies.

It’s all relative if you think Southgate’s tenure was successful or not, if you consider he’s laid the foundations to progress further then yes, if you think he should have won trophies then no.

They’re not. There is always a couple or more teams that are better than them. They’ll never win another major tournament until they produce better players

Producing the 2023/24 Golden Shoe winner, La Liga POTY, and Premier League POTY and having a smattering of Manchester City players, Arsenal players, United players isn't good enough?

They were penalties away from winning Euro 2020. Would you give over with that nonsense. England are very much good enough to win a tournament.

The world cup willl be tough too for them and most European teams with the heat they'll be playing in and the exhaustion that comes with it. Southgate was saying all through the Euros how tired the players are.

Nope. You’re talking nonsense and you’re buying into the hype. I choose not to buy into that nonsense. They’re not good enough, the players are not good enough. Southgate could have played this player or that player or tweaked the style or formation Spain would still have beat them and they got to the final due to the draw. Under Southgate they have punched their weight and beaten who they should have and come up short against better opponents. That will continue to be the case.

They’ll never win another major tournament until they produce better players

They were a penalty shootout away from winning 4 years ago.

You don't have to be the best team in the world to win a trophy. England have one of the best squads in the world. They could easily win the next WC. The next Euros will be in England for them, they've a great chance.

So you are telling me if you had the choice of Kane and Morata you'd pick Morata? Between Saka, Foden and Yamal you would take Yamal? Olmo over Bellingham? Le Normand over Stones? Cucurella over Shaw?

They were a penalty shootout away 4 years ago (well 3…). They literally could not get any closer to winning but they'll never win until they change something? It makes no sense.

Greece won in 2004 with a much worse set of players. They've a better team than Portugal 2016 who didn't have Ronaldo for the majority of the final. You don't need the best team in the world to win a competition. Just a bit of luck when you've that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Shite, they may actually get someone decent in.

I'm sure Southgate will have his pick of the top clubs in europe…

• Advertisement

Well anything is possible I suppose but in my view I don’t think they will. For as long as I can remember they’ve been telling themselves and everyone else that they’re going to win the next big tournament etc. That It’s coming home carry on has been around since the 90’s. Yawn. In my opinion it’ll never happen. Their players aren’t good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think Lee Carsley would take the job if offered once in a lifetime opportunity but managing those players egos, the supporters and media I don’t see it ending well for him.

I think Southgate will go into a director of football type role, to be fair he’s probably a better administrator than manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Any team is only as good as it's weakest link. For every strong player England has a weak one, for every Saka there is a Trippier.

How could you expect to win with Pickford in goal, he's had an ok tournament but he's way down the list of tip keepers, and a big reason England play defensively and deep. Trippier, was an ok RB 2 or 3 years ago, he's fallen back and add to that was playing out of position. The alternative, Shaw.... not fit. On the other side, Walker badly exposed again as a defender by Spain. Rice a CB, an ok shield but just ok, and would be no need for him if the defence could stand on its own feet. Add in a clearly out of form Kane who couldn't be dropped......

This is an OK England side, but one with lots of weaknesses. Hype will get you so far, but time and time again they fall the first time they meet a decent team in a knock out game.

Let's see how many of the top EPL teams beat a path to Sir Gareth's door offering him a job, may have to wait until the sack race amongst the Relegation fodder gets going after Xmas.

Kane was crocked, an immobile lump of wood up top. Morata wasn’t great but he did a good team job running the channels.

Williams was better than the 3 you mentioned there.

Olmo over that sulk who’s head has completely disappeared up his ass, definitely Olmo.

Maybe Stones of those two?

Cucurella and Shaw? Much of a muchness. Cucurella gets a lot of stick, gets a lot of cards. It was his pass for Oyarazabal’s goal. Shaw was already withdrawn at that point IIRC?

There’s a podcast online with Lineker, Alan Shearer and the former Man City guy who’s always on tv, I forget his name. They got around to who would be taking over after Gareth. Shearer said it should be an English manager. So Lineker said Howe, Potter and then he said Frank Lampard lol. Shearer did well not to laugh, he just blinked and carried on talking about something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

England easily have the talent to win a tournament. They almost have too much talent, forcing players into situations where they're in each other's way, rather than having just one or two stars and strong solid players around them who play specific roles. Of their million brilliant number 10's, just play one of them, and then play your best wide men either side, like Spain did with Yamal and Williams. Doesn't matter that there are other 10's who are theoretically better footballers, proper natural wide guys are more suited to the job required so should be picked.

International football is now more about finding a balance of players whose natural games fit each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is none so blind as those who refuse to see

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I don’t know what age you are; I’ve never seen England win a senior men’s major tournament. Despite the clamour every time a tournament comes around that England can do it this time….it’s coming home…..yadda yadda yadda, I still don’t see it happening.

I don’t think you’ll see Gareth managing again. Might take up an ambassador role with the FA or something.

• Advertisement

It's very hard to say a team should or shouldn't win a tournament. Look at Greece. A one off sure but knockouts can produce anything. The old cliche "the best players aren't necessarily the best team" is true. No point having 10 top class forwards when you can only play 3 or 4 max. Where I do think England have missed out in this window of the last two Euros is the rest of Europes top teams will get better by 2028 so the knockout draw will be tougher and I think the 2026 WC will go to South America due to the climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Of the tournaments he managed I'd only really see 2020 as the missed golden opportunity. In 2018 England exceeded expectations getting to a SF with a kind draw. Croatia the far more experienced and especially in Midfield technically gifted side. No chance they'd have beaten France either. 2022 they went out in a close match to France but wouldn't have beaten Argentina anyway imo. These Euros Spain are simply a class above England.

2020 was a great chance though, at home, had a dream start to the game and really should have pushed on. And still they could have won it in the shootout. That Italian team is probably one of the worst to win a major tournament too.

they’ve reached the last 2 euros final. Coulda won em both. To say they don’t produce the talent to win one is silly. They clearly do.

There are better teams in the world than them. Doesn’t mean they won’t be in the mix in 2028 at home again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

England were carrying multiple out of form players and were hamstrung by a tactically absent manager, yet still could have beaten Spain had a few things went their way so I don't know why people keep repeating that Spain were a class above England.

Even playing poorly England had every chance of winning that game, imagine if they actually had been on form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You're probably right. He'll blag his way in as a DOF or something, he's well got. Some of the new owners new to the game and impressed with corporate jargon about processes, fortitude, resilience, team building etc. will lap up his type of stuff and love to have him, but the FA might create a role upstairs either, or UEFA.

Where did I mention the Euros? I'm talking about who you'd pick based on all they did in 2023/24.

Answer the question and honestly please.

• Advertisement

you didn’t mention what they did in 2023/24 either. Wind your neck in there.

I’m going to clarify what I’m saying. My original point was really a counter point to what I’m seeing being said over and over again; that it’s inevitable that England will win something soon because they’ve got the players etc. My point is they don’t have the players that makes anything “inevitable” for them.

Now you’re right they could win a tournament like Greece did or Portugal did in 2016. Greece bored the pants of everyone when they won theirs and England bored the pants off everyone while getting to the final this time but thankfully ran into a far superior team. So yes to clarify they “could” win a major tournament but I don’t think they will. I think the level of expectation on them far exceeds the quality of their players and it makes it harder for them to win one than Greece or Portugal or Denmark when they won theirs. I don’t see them winning a major tournament and I don’t think the departure of Gareth Southgate makes it any more likely, if anything he got them closer than anyone else did since that time they actually won something in 1966.

Are you going to answer the question or is it that you know that this is a gifted English squad which doesn't suit your agenda?

I did answer the question you just didn’t like the answer. What’s this about an agenda?

I’d agree it’s not inevitable and I’d agree they’re overhyped.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement