Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

1108109110111112114»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ok @TheCitizen Imagine for a moment that you have been offered unlimited wealth to make England the greatest football culture in the World.

Putting aside emotions Can it be done within a generation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I would have zero interest in such a project and have no interest in even thinking about answering your query.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I asked you about who you'd pick between players and you never answered. Nobody would pick Neco Williams and Lamine Yamal over two of Foden, Bellingham and Saka. Nobody would pick Morata over Kane. No-one would pick Laporte or Le Normand over Stones or Cucurella over Shaw.

And I'm an Athletic club fan and I'm saying that Foden, Saka and Bellingham are better footballers than Neco. Hopefully that changes with time.

I did answer. From my viewing of the match last Sunday I answered your question. You don’t like the answer. Tough.

It’s Nico by the way not Neco, surprised at that seeing as you say you’re an Athletic Club fan.

Didn't I clarify with you that my question was about the whole 23/24 season?

One match doesn't decide how good or bad a player is.

One tournament with a crap manager doesn't either.

If England get a competent manager they'll win a tournament. Note that I said competent not a great or world class one.

I disagree. They won’t. In my view Southgate while certainly a conservative manager was probably in terms of results getting the best out of them. I don’t see it getting better for them after his departure. I don’t care who they appoint as manager I don’t see them winning a major tournament.

Post edited by TheCitizen on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As much as I wanted GS to fail with England, I hope he gets a club job now and does well. He seems a civil spud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Let's face it, FAI international team fans aren't exactly able to bestow an enemy onto the next generation of fans from 60th on the FIFA world rankings. It's the equivalent of a 4th tier fa team claiming their rivals are a lower table premiership team. There's no logic to it.

Southgate leaves with his dignity intact and probably hot property for league teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd cry if he managed my team. Following Boro for the years he was in charge, must of been a hard slog for their fans. I remember Charlton weren't much better at the time. And to this day, I'd regard those meetings of Boro and Charlton as the worst I've ever seen. 90 minutes of nothing ever happening, make ye want to shoot yourself, the two of them the definition of mediocrity and boredom.

I almost never say that a person's view is wrong on something but in this case you are wrong. Southgate is a crap manager, he showed that in club management many years ago. It was the very same there as it's been for England where he basically strangled the team into how he wanted them to play. Their top scorer was regularly in the high teens, under Southgate in his last two years the highest scorer had ten goals. They scored 43 goals in his penultimate season and then 28 as they got relegated the next.

He hasn't changed his ways. He has had incredible squads and has never let them play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'd agree they don't have the players, or even when they do, still don't. None of their individuals know how to do anything outside their "role" at club level. And when you have 11 players playing together who only know how to do their own job, you'll always struggle as a cohesive unit and will have poor game management.

Players from other nations, take a winger for example, can play their role. But generally speaking, he'd be far better than his English equivalent at turnig around, getting the head up, and involving himself in link up play. Players for other nations, can come in and work together far better from a technical standpoint.

With England, it's 11 individuals, performing their role, but nothing tying it together if you will. An inability to slow a game down, work together from the point of view of playing chess, interlinking with direction. And it's what hurts them over and over, they'll always come out the wrong side of games like on Sunday.

People will say they were just a chance or call away from winning, we'll still be saying that in another 30 years. They'll always just be that bit behind when it matters, they don't know how to control the game

If they were set up right it'd make a huge difference. For instance Foden can play a deeper midfield role and has done for City. When you have Bellingham there is no room up top for Foden so play him in the deeper role. You don't need a striker either. You seen with Real Madrid that Rodrygo and Vinicious junior have free roles to move around. So Saka or Palmer and a guy who wasn't even there, that's Grealish. That's up top sorted, then you have three midfield roles which would be Foden, Rice and a defensive midfielder. England don't have a great selection of defensive midfielders but Oliver Skipp can do the job and Jack Hinshelwood looks like he'll be a real good one.

If you watched England the big problem in most of the games was a disconnect between central midfield and the forwards. You seen Harry Kane come very deep on many occasions because the ball wasn't getting to the attacking players.

If you have Foden in a free role there and Rice box to box then you will have loads of ball getting through to the attackers and two midfielders getting forward who are well capable of shooting well from outside the box. All you need to worry about then is the defense and Shaw, Stones, Konsa or Guehi and a right back, I'd bring in Conor Bradley personally and you've a great starting eleven.

Southgate didn't bring a defensive midfielder, he played Konsa at the back in one game where he was excellent and he never got another shot. He brought Bowen which was a waste with Saka, Palmer and Foden all capable of playing on the right. He brought Toney who missed most of the season on a ban and then did nothing when he came back, another wasted pick.He had Solanke who scored 19 goals in the Premier league but he never even looked at him.

He brought Walker, Alexander-Arnold and Trippier which was ridiculous especially considering Konsa had played well there when needed for Villa. He brought an injured Shaw and used a guy with no left foot on the left when Joe Gomez had played well there for Liverpool during the season.

This is pretty obvious stuff, you don't need to be a football genius to see these things.

A competent manager would have set the team up a lot better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

Bringing in Conor Bradley would have been a master stroke 👏

I’m not “wrong” when stating the facts of Southgate’s record as England manager and we’ll find out if I’m “wrong” that it won’t change anything for the better in terms of end results in big tournaments for them after he goes. They might get more goals who knows? I don’t see improvements in terms of results for them no matter who their manager is, they’ll still win nothing. That’s my opinion, you seem to have a problem with it. That’s your problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Especially considering he has 17 caps for Northern Ireland😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I didn't say they don't produce the talent, they very clearly do. You'd have to be willfully blind to believe they don't, but maybe you quoted the wrong poster?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

No, I quoted the correct poster. You responded in a thread of replies where that was the discussion. I wasn't attributing the statement to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I like the fact that Greece 2004 keep getting mentioned in here.

Greece were lucky enough to come out of their group that year, and also had the benefit of catching the hosts in game 1 of the tournament, and getting a massive result. After that they won 1-0, 1-0 (aet), and 1-0.

Tactically, it was very simple, very direct - stifling the creativity of their opponents and getting their nose in front by playing to their strengths. To summarise: Frustrate, lead, then defend with discipline and win. All of Greece’s wins in the knockout stage came in an identical manner: a 1–0 win, with the goal being a header off a cross from the right wing.

In summary, they knew their deficiencies, accepted them, and developed a tactic that would play to their strengths, while doing their level best to curtail the strengths of each opponent. It was a true team and squad effort, not laden down with unrealistic airs of expectation, which is possibly the antithesis of England, and a reason why they are doomed not to succeed.

The blind leading the blind. Have a read of that comment you post under all your contributions a chara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Indeed the fact he didn’t know his best 11 or even 22 before the tournament is only part of the problem. Play with a system be willing to change it during the game and have two outfield players who can rotate and fit into that system for all positions

My problem is anybody claiming Southgate is a good manager.

As regards winning, the amount of young talent they possess pretty much ensures they will win as soon as they have a competent manager who uses his players the right way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I'm not sure about all that talent. Foden, for example, looks good with a City team driven by Silva and De Bruyne with goals from Haaland. Rice has been shown up as just average. Cole Palmer looks the real deal but Pep left him go!

No it doesn’t that’s the point but you keep thinking that and more importantly hopefully they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

He’s not a good manager though is he.

I find it crazy how’s he’s getting plaudits for his record and being 2nd best England manager which but considering none of the previous others won anything I don’t think it’s much of an achievement. Also with changes to groups it is easier to qualify for competitions than it used to be:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

They've made 2 finals since 1966. Both of them were under Southgate. That's impressive.

I don't think he's a good manager but his record is fantastic and he deserves plaudits for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Looks like the end of the road for Belfast hosting games. Shambles.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ulster/2024/0913/1470004-casement-park/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The UK Government are currently cutting fuel allowances.

Spending money on a beaten docket was never an option.

They probably never had any intention of giving the cash for it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

So commical.

Even funnier when you think all the bull from the Irish government and their media shills about how great relationships are going to be with the new Labour government.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement