Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Brianod73

Have Samsung Galaxy 22 and tried but got message saying not supported. Updated App and OS on phone but still no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Probably glanced by another bumper locking around,simple little bumper blow-in paint job shouldn't cost much more than €200 or so.(No toothpaste needed either!).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jaymac430

fortunately I’ve got it working perfectly on iPhone SE (2020).
    There is only 1 exterior ‘reader’, so if you want to open the boot or passenger door, you have to go to the driver’s door mirror first to unlock the car.

There is some time limit to ‘start’ the car after unlocking it. If you go beyond that, you then need to tap the reader on the armrest cover. Similar to a Tesla in that respect.

Locking the car just needs a tap on the drivers door mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 EFX

The app has updated its look with a nicer 3D picture of the car, Iphone, no new features I can see at the mo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There’s no time limit on the Tesla. The phone can be in your pocket. The doors and boot will open and then you can get into the car and drive without ever taking the phone out of your pocket.

Locking a Tesla occurs by walking away.

BYD will probably implement this similar feature in due course. It’s a nice creature comfort. My G30 BMW does the same but it doesn’t lock on walk away unfortunately. I have to use the key fob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sealman

I would be very happy if I got away with €200.00 to get that fixed. They know how to charge in Galway though so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭John arse

Contact a smart repair guy maybe - they come to you and would be a lot cheaper than a body shop,it looks like a simple fix too.

+1

I recommended that earlier in the thread.
    Someone along the lines of chipsaway. I’m not 100% sure there’s as many operating in that field nowadays but there are a few about.

I have been trying to find one but no success so far. Chipsaway only operate in the Dublin area now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

Reach out to this guy. I'm sure he could recommend a light repair painter, potentially mobile.

https://www.facebook.com/DentSolutionGalway/

• Advertisement

Thanks Dodzy will give them a try. Found a body shop who will do it in the day for €350.00 but booked out till September but it's a start anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mooretaxi

Sealman, try going to B&C paints in ballybane, they are probably over 40 years supplying automotive paint products and can make up a touch up for you, the damage to your bumper is so small that if you apply the touch up with a fine brush it should be as good as new

Thanks Mooretaxi

While it’s a cheaper option, I don’t believe it will be touched uk good as new unfortunately. That damage is down to the bumper plastic.

On reflection I agree I think as it's a 5 month old car so I will have to get it painted. The body shop offered the option to do touch up as well for €60.00 but they advised would only look ok from a distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

If getting it done properly, it's worth a shot to touch it up first by lobbing the paint on and buffing out. Many a time it does just the job, especially at a less visible and non flat surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Looking at the Seal as an option if anyone could provide a summary of their experiences?

My daily commute will be approx 50kms total. I will have home charging and a lot of my driving will be on rural roads. Also looking for good space for young family and boot space for buggy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I'm out of the country at the moment so I suspect the ability to access the digital key is geo restricted.

I have an iPhone and a Pixel 8 Pro.

For anyone who's enabled it, did it just appear in your app initially, or you were automatically sent a code from the dealer? I've not seen either.

Have the Seal RWD 4 months and 3k km now and can highly recommend. My commute also about 50km a day and extremely comfortable cruiser for the commute. Find the efficiency good too - mix of rural and dual carraigeway and gettimg about 470 - 500 km range, although I concentrate on efficency when driving rather than enjoying the power often. Have 3 kids and find the room in the back bery good, lot of space. Was one of the reasons went for the Seal over Model 3. The boot is deep but shallow, especially the opening. I no longer have prams/buggies bit would definetly advise bringing to test drive to ensure big enougg for your needs. Have not had to public fast charge yet as not have done any journey long enough. Have a good EV electricity plan with Bord Gais and charge between 2 and 5am at night - cost is about 5-6 euro for the 3 hrs and adds about 20/22% of battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

Not sure about your good electricity plan there, I'm on day/ night at .17 per kw. Works out at about 3.60 for 3 hours charging with a 9 hour charge window compared to the 3 hour you have . Agree with you on boot space, would be best bring buggy to test. I can fit golf clubs and cart into boot which I couldn't do in my last hatchback so it's fairly reasonable

• Advertisement

My maths is terrible :) On rate of 0.087 per kw, works out about 1.83 for the 3 hrs.

Range will not be a problem.
    Interior space is great, bigger than Model 3 for example. Storage space is smaller than a Model 3 though so bring your buggy with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jaymac430

it just appeared on the app under heading Digital Key (iPhone SE). The code was sent by email a few hours after I connected the phone to the car i.e. the code wasn’t needed to enable the digital key; just follow the instructions in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thanks. Will hopefully appear when I'm back on Irish soil so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

I'm curious, at 50km a day you could charge the car fully once every 8/9 days. are you charging every second night from ~ 60% to 80% to keep within the cheap EV rate or what way are you doing it? And how will that kind of charging affect the battery in the long run do you think

Post edited by pah on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

The LFP batteries in Seals are quite resilient and don't suffer any noticeable deteoriation from charging to full and are much longer life than previous versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

Thanks. However that doesn't answer any of the questions I asked based on the usage of the poster I quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭grumpygit

I would like to know the answer too. I have been charging mainly from 50-70% to a full 100% charge. So far I have noticed no degradation (using car scanner but not sure how it will manifest itself, SOC still shows 100% after charge) I think I read that you should drain the battery to less than 10% every 6 months, so far I have drained it to 7% and 13% so hopefully that keeps the battery in prime shape

• Advertisement

Advertisement