Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options
1362363364365366368»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would say first step is decide on dates and book the ferry and cabin first.

You can decide how much driving and what type of accommodation you want in due course but the ferry with cabins is the first to fill and then you have the option of travelling on it with no cabins and thats a long 11 hour journey before starting a holiday.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I got an email from Brittany ferries while we were still on holidays saying that the 2025 sailings had been released so I hopped straight on to book. Our youngest has special needs so we spend a lot of time in the cabin. I booked a deluxe 4 berth this year and it made a huge difference as the cabin was nice and spacious and a pleasant place to hang out during the crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Peckham

As you're looking at early-June you should think about how far you want to drive. The further south you drive, the better your chances of good weather. But obviously you need to weigh this against how long your kids will tolerate in the car.

Work out how many hours you're willing to drive (not forgetting that you'll need to do the same journey back again two weeks later, so don't over-stretch yourself!) and see where that takes you in France. And look at campsites in that area. Many recommendations in this forum.

One tip is to consider ferry arrival times. You have options from Dublin, Rosslare and Cork. Most ferries arrive into France in late-morning, which can be frustrating if you have a 5+ hour drive with young children as it feels you're already on the backfoot before getting to your car. Brittany Ferries from Cork arrives in at 7am, so lots of time to spread the driving out over the day, and lots of time to get yourself further south in France.

There's no real pressure on booking anything yet. Many campsites won't have opened their 2025 bookings yet, and as you're travelling off peak you're under no pressure for ferry places (not that they sold out this year, if anything the later you left it the cheaper the price you'd get!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The earlier you go in June, the further down you might have to drive to get good weather. Now it's not a guarantee as it was years ago, so it's pot luck but better chances later on.

You also need to check if campsites that you want have kids clubs and activities that are opened at the time of your travel. That's if you want kids clubs, but the option is handy for those ages. Also, local activities such as merries and horse rides, ice creams on the beach front etc will be determined by the season.

I've travelled with 6 weeks old babies to now where they are much older teens, and each place we've been to has offered something different. So whereas we wanted kids pools before, we now look for exciting pool slides and indoor bubble pools! (Notions!)

As regards to the ferry, initially we used to take the cheapest cabins, but as our needs changed we required different things and booked bigger cabins, so for that, we needed to book early. For example, we booked commodore cabins the last number of years on Brittany ferries, only 16 of those have outside balconies,so booking early was essential as we always had to travel in peak season due to job commitments.

And you need to see how your kids tolerate the car journey. We've often only stayed in Brittany, other years travelled as far as Luxembourg or southern France. I guess it's all trial and error. And judging what you think you would like. Your kids are a great age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Milly33

You will be fine the ferry is great… We went last year and have to say it was lovely, had a three year old and 5 year old. Went to moreFrench campsites and they were a little off putting as they were so quite but this year we have booked with Siblu and if their customer service is anything to go by they should be great..

Keep an eye on the ferry to get the best price, it is great if you are not stuck to dates.. Book the ferry and then go site searching.June you should be grand all will be open in campsites (one thing to watch out for if going out of season is that restaurants, shops are not open even pools).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 candysapple

We're also tentatively looking at a trip next year. Probably to Brittany as we will have very young kids with us (1 and 4). When do Irish Ferries usually release the next year's bookings? Dublin to Cherbourg travel time would suit us best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Domaine des Ormes!, you won’t go far wrong. 2 and a half hour drive from Cherbourg and a campsite with something for everyone. Only problem may be the weather if you’re unlucky. If you are flying then you might consider further south to almost guarantee the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

Would second this. Best option for the first year with young kids. Nice short drive and if you are unlucky with the weather you still have a great indoor pool and loads of onsite activities plus a kids club for the 4 and 7 year old. Plenty of future years to go further south when the kids are older.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭browne_rob5

has anyone ever combined a trip to disneyland as part of their ferry / france / campsite trip?

Wondering how it could be done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,486 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The only thing with Siblu sites is they'll be (in most cases) full of French people. That's not a bad thing but it means the kid clubs will have French speaking staff and the majority of kids will be French speakers so it might be difficult for Irish kids. If you go with Eurocamp though, their staff are usually English or Irish and the kid clubs deliberately cater for English-speaking kids.

We're curently in a Siblu camp and it's far and away the best one we've stayed in and far superior to any of the Eurocamp ones. There's three families in our group so we haven't had to send the kids to kids club because they entertain themselves but if you're looking to unwnd and offload the kids to a club a few hours every day, careful consideration is required as to which campsite to stay in (in my opinion anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Was there last week. Stayed in camping la croix du vieux pont. Didn't do the ferry but rented a car at cdg airport.

1 hr from Paris and 1 hour from Disney. Campsite is brilliant. Nothing to compare it with as it was our first time.

Already planning a trip next year to there or another camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, and very do-able too. Routing to Paris for two nights or so isn't difficult as in many ways 'all roads lead to Paris' and it's not excessively off the track when planning the return journey. Many people stay in campsites near enough to DLP and there might be local bus services directly to the entrance. The only trick is to avoid Paris by car (due to the "Crit'Air" restrictions).

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Similar enough to it. I traveled to DLP, stayed two days in a Disney hotel and then moved to a house in La Tranche-sur-Mer for a week and a bit. Frankly I would have preferred to have done Paris last so to keep something in the pipeline.

What concerns have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭shanec1928

yup a few times, in fact you used to be able to camp with your campervan at disney but don’t think they do that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yes we did it 2 years ago. We did 7 nights in Des Ormes and then 3 in Paris. Stayed in a hotel 2 train stops from DLP. Very easy access to the park and then the city only 35 minutes away by RER.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Camped in 'Caravan of the 4 winds' the year we went to Disney. I think it's a 20 minute drive away but you need your own tent/caravan. It's our Paris camp site, staying there again this year for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh thats whay you want though. To be honest my worst thing would be go to an international place where everything bar the weather was the same as Ireland.. I mean that nicely but you go to France to be in France not to be in Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,228 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did it at the start of June

Roslare to Cherbourg then down to Domaine de Léveno (sp) about 60 to 80 km west of Nantes.

About a 4 or 5 hours drive.

Spent a week there and then drove to a place called Le Chêne Gris south east of Paris.

That drive was 550km and took us about 6 hours with two stops.

It also cost about €40 in tolls but it was worth it, it was a very easy drive.

Le Chêne Gris is about 30 minutes drive from Disney.

We also went to Paris for a day, taking the train from Le Chêne Gris (the entrance to the campsite is in the railway station carpark) which took a hour.

Le Chêne Gris was about 5 hours drive back to Cherbourg.

If I was to do it again I might do it the other way around.

The day in Paris and the day in Disneyland were long with lots of walking, as you'd expect.

It would have been nice to head to Brittany and relax for the week after it.

Our kids are older, 17, 15, 12 and 10, so thery were fine on the long drives.

I found the long drives in France very easy, plenty of motorway or dual carriageway, and the French know how to use the driving and overtaking lanes correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Hsve done Disney a few times. Both driving to Disney hotels and Davy Crockett's ranch. By far the best experience with you get kids was Davy Crockett. Car park pass for the park and tickets, 5 minutes drive to the park. Very handy to have a mobile self/catering with younger kids too.

Very doable from 5/6 hours drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭ottolwinner

check out ferme noéime for nice places to camp. Pratical when using as night overs en route

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Yes we stayed in the Hotel Mercure in Bussy Saint George. Hotel was only a few minutes walk to the RER. This suited us as we didn't want the dearer Disneyland hotels.

It's a quieter residential area but a perfect base we found. A few bars, restaurants and takeaways all close by.

Any more questions just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We made a vow to always holiday below les sables d'olonne or La Rochelle.

Cannot deal with poor weather in Brittany

Just for anyone looking up their first french holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭danfrancisco83

I was looking at Le Littoral for next year, but should I maybe go to Bonne Anse Plage, has anybody been to both and noticed a significant difference in weather?

Post edited by danfrancisco83 at

Advertisement