Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to upgrade in my 2017 build.

Options
  • 16-07-2024 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I asked this before but honestly with the way the gaming market was at the time I just left it.

So I'm coming back again, should I upgrade my MB and CPU? or what are other peoples suggestions.

Thanks!

• NZXT S340 Elite Gaming Case - White
    • Ryzen 5 1600X 6 Core AM4
    • Be Quiet! Pure Rock
    • GIGABYTE AB350 GAMING 3 - AMD Ryzen
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) 3000 MHz DDR4 Memory
    • 1TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive 3.5 SATA III
    • Samsung Evo 1TB
    • 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series M.2 SATA 6Gbps
    • Geforce GTX 1070 8GB - (Recently Purchased - Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 WINDFORCE OC Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR6)
    • 700W Aerocool Integrator 80+ Certified
    • TP-LINK 450Mbps Wireless Dual Band PCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭cornholio509

You have a lot of options at the moment .

1 . Get a new CPU . Your motherboard can support ryzen 5000 series CPUS . SO update its bios and get a 5700x3d for 210 euro . No other hardware needed . You could slowly upgrade the entire system buying a motherboard and gpu later on .

2 . Wait till the end of the month . AMD are currently getting ready to officially launch ryzen 9000 . SO current ryzen 7000 cpus and probably b650/x670 motherboards will probably drop in price . You could build a very powerful PC on a budget . You will need to buy new ram as are DDR5 only .

3. wait for the rzeyn 9000 series and get that with a motherboard .

It would be nice to know what your budget is . That said the 5700X3D was launched this year alongside the 7800X3D . There is only a few percent between them . SO staying with your current motherboard means its cheaper in the long run . IT gives you time to check things out and upgrade your GPU . The gtx1070 is a bit long in the tooth . The Latest low end nvidia and amd GPUs which are gimped by bandwidth limitations are still faster . SO if you have another 500 to 600 euro so spare i would go for a RTX 4070 or an RX 7800 . They should see you out for a few years even on the AM4 socket .

Again if i knew what budget you have and what you want out of your PC it would be easier to give advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nokia08

Thanks for the reply, honestly no real budget happy to stretch it. I was thinking about upgrading to the Ryzen 5000 series but then again I can hold out. I did recently purchase a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 WINDFORCE OC Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR6 So that can go into this machine or my partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Coyler

I'd return that GPU and stretch to something better. Not only does it have a 128 bit memory bus it's also runs x8 so along with the limited VRAM its going to have issues with the PCIe 3.0 port on your current motherboard. You can make it work and if your budget was tight I can see an arguement for it but seeing as you are saying you have no real budget right now I'd work on another option.

Oh, and if you are thinking this is deliberate from Nvidia to increase sales by aging the cards faster than that would be very cyncial of you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Nokia08

Thanks for the input! Gonna take your advice on that. Knowing I'm gonna upgrade to 5700x3d and keeping everything else. Have you any suggestions on what I should be looking at? RTX 4060 Ti? or something else. Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement