Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Files

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They key part of this is that they don't have to inform the parents if their child is using a different name or pronouns at school. I don't understand this. encouraging a child to keep secrets from their parents and an adult actively participating in hiding information is considered a safeguarding risk. A child who is being "protected" by the school in this way is at huge risk for an abuser or groomer to hold this information over them and use it to their advantage. Now it's the law wtf? I find this current notion that parents have no right to know things about their own children and that children can consent to certain life changing things to creepy in the extreme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭NeutralHandle

I guess one statistic that seems undisputed is that trans people have a shockingly high rate of suicidality. They seem to be a vulnerable group and therefore an attitude of gentleness and kindness is appropriate, regardless of your view of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

I think the disagreement here is regarding what constitutes gentleness and kindness. One would have to question whether someone who is in such a state of mental distress is wise to embark on a course of drug and or surgical treatment which will have irreversible consequences. I'm a strong believer in free will, but also the principle of informed consent. It really is an ethical minefield.

If I understood the conclusions of the Cass review there was no evidence that puberty blockers reduced the risk of suicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭greyday

And the Cass review has said and others have agreed with that 80% to 90% of children that identify as trans when they are young go on to be gay rather than trans, this cannot be overlooked due to the harm that can and has been caused to these children, no doubt the 10% to 20% that are actually trans require empathy and understanding, the vast majority require a completely different type of therapy!

I said nothing about PB, or any other interventions for that matter. My line of thought was more that there seems to be question marks about some semi-accepted things like that - but still one thing that seems indisputable is that this is a vulnerable group. People (not talking about posters or this thread) are often oppositional not just to ideas or policies, but towards the people pushing them, especially the trans ones. I think this is not good, especially because they are vulnerable people.

You can frame it as a condition which results in more than 40% of people with it trying to kill themselves, because it definitely is that. Imagine the same sort of conversations happened about a group of people with a medical condition with such grievous stats, including children. They would be very different in tone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Suicide is strongly associated with Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia as well, but that does not mean that the "kind" response is to provide them with gastric bands, does it?

one-quarter to one-third of people with AN and BN have attempted suicide. Relative to gender and aged matched comparison groups, individuals with AN are 18 times more likely to die by suicide

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28846874/

So you need to explain what exactly you mean by treating them kindly. If you mean not making nasty comments, I agree completely. If you mean following unevidenced "advice" by groups like Stonewall and Mermaids with their own agendas, and of course by WPATH who have been thoroughly discredited, then maybe not. Because it is not actually in the interests of young people with gender dysphoria to do so.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

I don't know those groups and I think you are arguing with me about things I didn't say. I said they require compassion. I did not take a position about what sort of medical interventions or guidance they should or should not receive. Because I don't have any sort of authority on that.

I just think the discourse in general on both sides has a somewhat belligerent personally oppositional tone. That is strange and inappropriate and it seems to me it should be discussed as a sensitive and delicate topic, given its relationship to suicide.

This is a thread about WPATH. You've really never heard of them? Would you consider that you are well informed on the issues here?

Where did you get that 40% suicide rate figure from? You didn't give a source, but TBF it sounds impossible, so I'm wondering where it comes from.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

That stat is everywhere. Google suicide rate trans.

I make no claim to authority on what is best for trans people, so not sure why you're challenging that.

There are papers that dispute the quality of research about things like PB use and other practices that people argue about in threads like this. However, the same papers accept the rate of suicidality as extremely high. I haven't seen anything to contradict the notion that trans people are at very high risk of suicide.

• Advertisement

As I said (and gave a source) suicide rates among anorexics are extremely high too - but that does not mean that the correct response is to "affirm" their fatness and find medical ways to make them thinner. Nor that refusing to do so is what is unkind.

So it's not clear what your point is, other than some sort of "both sides" nonsense. And TBF, as a woman who's been in the trenches for a while now, I find it pretty offensive for it to be suggested by someone who has (allegedly) never even heard of the main UK activist groups, nor of WPATH, despite posting in a thread about WPATH, that women just need to be kind. Being kind in the face of rape and death threats? No thanks. It's not an appropriate response, and I won't let someone who by their own admission knows nothing about this tell me so.

A quick Google shows many articles claiming up to half of trans people are suicidal, but none with a credible source. Even taking that stat a face value, it's not at all clear if the suicidal feelings arise out of being trans, or there is some underlying mental distress, and gender dysphoria is just one way that manifests.

The affirmative care folks like to use the risk of suicide as a lever to promote their unscientific treatments - not a lot of delicacy or sensitivity there.

On the thread in general, the only conduct I find objectionable is when claims are rubbished due to their source, rather than by presenting contrary evidence. WPATH have provided the videos and documents to undermine their own credibility - there may be more to come. It is shocking how supposedly reputable organisations are digging in despite all the incontrovertible evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Just on the basis of the demographic changes and explosion in numbers I'm not sure how anyone can have good data on trans people and suicide risk.

F to M teenagers used to be unheard of, now it is the majority.

When you consider how different each group is within the trans umbrella I can't see how a single percentage number makes any sense. A young female teenager with autism confused about their sexuality and gender is very different to a man in his 40s who likes to wear his wives underwear, and as different again to the silent group no one hears from transmen.

"Be kind" is great in theory until it's a free pass for all kinds of madness to take hold where any questions are immediately labelled transphobic

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The major issue with the suicide stat is that it overlooks the increasingly strong correlation between identifying as trans and issues such as autism/depression/history of brain trauma.

The problem is that to ignore this is to ignore what the actual issue is. For these people, are they really trans, or are they suffering from a mental illness where the inclusivity of being trans attracts them like a moth to a light? (Again, the Cass Report suggests this). So by being compassionate, as NeutralHandle suggests, you run the risk of merely trying to treat the symptom rather than the actual disorder.

The result, of course, is that the actual mental health issue is completely overlooked and suicide rates remain the same. In other words, by focussing on the wrong issue, you may feel you're being compassionate, but actually you've done nothing at all to help - which in a situation like this is a pretty bad thing to do.

The "Trans or suicide myth" was called out by Cass btw. "Myth" is a pretty big word here, but it's in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭rogber

Exactly, there is a clear correlation between mental illness and identifying as trans and the mental illness often precedes the trans claim, not the other way around.

Yeah there are lots of papers about the suicidality. First three google results for me are the following. I guess it's influenced by your previous behaviour on google. The whole first page is a variety of studies or reputable news sources discussing them

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5178031/

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/press/transpop-suicide-press-release/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/06/28/health/transgender-suicide-risk

Even papers questioning some of the accepted ideas like the effects of transition quoted the rate of suicidality as fact.

Who was in what trenches? How does showing compassion to a group relate to death threats or rape? Obviously rapists and people threatening murder should be dealt with in a judicial context, and I'm not suggesting any special treatment of them. Most trans people are more likely to be victims than perpetrators though. Most of them are or have been suicidal. I think lumping suicidal people in with rapists and people who threaten murder is unhelpful.

• Advertisement

So if 40% of people are now attempting suicide, despite there being medical and surgical treatments available to enable people to transition, where are all the trans people commiting suicide throughout history. Because presumably suicide rates must have been much higher when effective transition was almost impossible?

Or could it be that transition doesn't actually improve their mental health or even harms it?

Second. You still haven't explained what you mean by "showing kindness".

If you mean not making nasty comments to people, then I don't think anyone on here disagrees.

If you mean violence towards trans people, again, utterly unacceptable - but TBF that is a problem of male violence, and it's striking that the violence towards women comes, as always, from the male side, in this case from male transitioners, claiming to be female, but presenting the usual male violence towards women. Or from their male allies.

Because what I mean by "in the trenches" is the appalling treatment of (mainly) women, though some men too, just for expressing scepticism about certain demands for supposed trans rights such as defining as "conversion therapy" any form of watchful waiting instead of immediate affirmation and social transitioning of young people with gender dysphoria.

Lumping suicidal people in with rapists/murderers is exactly what trans rights activists do when they talk about the "trans umbrella". What I want to do is separate those out, not lump them in together.

I mean that is the basic argument I've seen in favour of medical interventions - that it reduces suicidality. I've also seen papers questioning the research supporting that. Yes, suicide rates were much higher historically, and that is part of the argument in favour of interventions. The questions that are being asked are along the lines of -people with medical interventions have lower suicidality, but perhaps this is because more of them are sampled now and more non-transitioners were sampled decades ago when trans people did indeed commit suicide more frequently.

I would rate my knowledge on the topic in general as enough to know that I don't know much about it at all. I would say that many people approach the conversation entrenched in one point of view or the other, and that is not great when it comes to expanding their knowledge. Personally, the only thing I do feel confident in knowing is that their suicidality is a real thing.

I think I've expressed what I mean about a compassionate approach as well as I am able tbh. Part of what I am talking about is trying to move past the 'us vs them' mindset that exists on both sides of debates about this.

@Large bottle small glass

Helen Joyce (I probably should have included a trigger warning before typing her name) talked about rapid onset gender dysphoria in one of her videos. She mentioned a visit to China a few years back, where she was describing her journalistic research. The Chinese thought she was joking as they had never heard of such a thing. She believes it's a social contagion similar to anorexia in times past.

It's a more general point but still relevant here: the evidence for medical treatment of suicidality is weak. In particular there's lots of evidence to show that commonly prescribed drugs increase the risk of suicide, and the patient information leaflets for many common drugs have black box warnings for this reason.

I would say that many people approach the conversation entrenched in one point of view or the other, and that is not great when it comes to expanding their knowledge.

While that may be true, I think many posters on here have been looking at the medical studies into the area - the Cass Report and the problems with WPATH the last while. Hence the thread title of course.

Both of these report a "Trans or Suicide Myth" which directly contradicts what you're saying.

I think the question around compassionate approach for you here is - does that include an inclusive approach to trans ideology, or a questioning one? To look at volchitsa's bulemia example, would you encourage a person suffering from bulemia to embrace it and eat less, or to seek medical help for a mental health condition? The former could be seen as compassionate but is clearly very dangerous. The evidence increasingly suggests the same is true for people who identify as trans.

I think that's an important point to clarify as it would guide further debate here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

40% suicidal ideation is not the same as a 40% suicide rate.

There is only one side that is pushing the suicide angle. Anyone who has done any training with crisis phone lines knows that you never present suicide as an option, or an inevitable to someone in distress, but that's exactly what trans activists do when they tell vulnerable children it's "transition or death", calling puberty blockers and cross sex hormones "life saving care", and the multiple reports of parents being told things like "Would you prefer a live son, or a dead daughter."

When you constantly tell vulnerable people that transition is the only thing that will save their life, don't be surprised when those people become suicidal.

I would expect that the 40% suicidal ideation rate is likely because after a placebo period, most who do transition likely realise that it has not solved any of their problems, especially those who medically transition which often has lifelong negative medical consequences.

Those reports do not claim there is not a hugh rate of suicidality. They question whether interventions have any effect on it, as I mentioned in my previous post.

The 41% statistic refers to the number who attempted suicide. I've seen figures more than double that for ideation.

I have repeatedly said I do not know what approach is best for trans people. It is not related to my point, which is that discourse on this should be less combative regardless of stance. I feel like I'm being demanded to take a side, when my basic point is that the debate should not be approached in such 'us vs them' terms.

I don't think anyone is demanding you to take a side. I don't think such language really helps here to be honest.

What we are looking to do is to actually to try understand your position better. Hence my post "I think the question around compassionate approach for you here is - does that include an inclusive approach to trans ideology, or a questioning one? To look at volchitsa's bulemia example, would you encourage a person suffering from bulemia to embrace it and eat less, or to seek medical help for a mental health condition? The former could be seen as compassionate but is clearly very dangerous. The evidence increasingly suggests the same is true for people who identify as trans."

I think it's a perfectly reasonable question.

It's a reasonable question when asked once. It is not a reasonable question when continuously repeated because you cannot accept an answer of "I don't know".

Well to be fair you never actually answered it in the first place, so it's a reasonable question to ask again.

But if your approach here is to suggest a "compassionate approach" is required and you're then unable to outline what this actually means (which is what I take from your reply of "I don't know"), then do you not think your line of debate starts to fall apart a bit?

It also undermines your point about suicide rates - doubly so when you ignore the medical reports saying that these are likely a factor of depression or other mental health matters, of which trans identification is merely a symptom and not the root matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

But you don't seem to know much, just trotting out the very much dismissed suicidal rate numbers.

I await your 'but but compassion ' response.

We got here through extreme be-kindness

Again, can you give examples of what you would consider to be appropriate "noncombative" ways to approach the discussion please?

But you do have an opinion on this, just one that seems disconnected from any practical examples. You keep saying "be kind", be "less combative" but you don't even know the names of major trans activist associations, so presumably don't know what they say on the issues.

At what point does "I don't know" become an insufficient response on an issue? IMO, it's when you're using that ignorance to avoid explaining your position, but holding firm to it all the same.

This is getting ridiculous tbh. I made very one very simple point. Then I responded to several posts arguing about things I had not said or repeating questions I answered. I'm not a medical professional. Saying I don't know what the right way of treating a suicide risk with a condition I have no understanding of is the most sane and reasonable position to take. For some reason that is snowballing into crazy bullshit arguments when my basic point is approach things in a less combative manner. Done with this silly conversation.

I made very one very simple point.

Well, you said "be less combative" and then refused to give any examples of what you mean.

This is a discussion forum, so people are going to ask questions to clarify what you're saying, since TBF it's not clear. Calling that "snowballing into crazy bullshit" is frankly bizarre. It seems rather … combative. If you want a monologue, set up a blog.

Yeah, this idea of taking a hissy fit when discussion is engaged in isn't acceptable to be honest. No-one was suggesting you "knew what the right way of treating a suicide risk" was - what we were suggesting was that you were attributing it to the wrong cause (ie not being kind to trans identifiers, as opposed to depression), and when we tried to engage in further debate to fully understand your point, you refused.

It's not clear what you consider "crazy bullshit arguments" either.

• Advertisement

I thanked the quoted post, as I agree with the thrust of it. I dont agree with this bit though:

"and it's striking that the violence towards women comes, as always, from the male side, in this case from male transitioners, claiming to be female, but presenting the usual male violence towards women"

I agree that violence against women, or indeed men, is due to male perpetrators. However, males are not usually violent and male violence against women is not usual, though sadly far too common. It's easy enough to find documented evidence of extreme violence by women against other women, or men, though it is much rarer than the inverse case.

My point doesn't doesn't undermine your argument though - all the horrific threats of violence in this particular sphere seem to be from trans women aka biological males.

My point may have been unclear. What I'm saying is that just as men do not usually pose a threat to women, and yet we still have female-only spaces because it's impossible for women to tell in advance which men are a threat, similarly most trans women don't pose a threat to women either.

IOW I don't need to think that all trans women are a threat to women to want to keep them out of female spaces, just that they pose the same level of threat as any man. Being a trans woman is not a special category of males that are safe for women.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not a women so I don't have the lived experience, but I suspect that regarding female-only spaces, as well as wanting to feel safe from physical/sexual assault there's a desire to feel comfortable.

Yes, that’s true of course but women are regularly told that their comfort is unimportant compared to trans rights: the female swimmers who complained about Lia Thomas parading around the changing room with his penis out were advised to have counselling to help them deal with what was considered to be their problem. That’s why the argument tends to go straight to the risk of harm, as that should be harder to dismiss.

But of course you are correct: women simply wanting to change without men around should be a sufficient reason in itself. In practice, sadly, it’s not.

I watched an interview with Riley Gaines recently and she described that experience (i.e. being offerred counselling). She's highly articulate and remarkable lacking bitterness given the circumstances.

I spoke on the other thread about the risks of physical injury if men are allowed into women's sports - that might be a rare occurrence but the possibility of psychological injury must be almost universal. Imagine having to endure what you described in the quoted post, and then having insult heaped on injury by having the organisation that is supposed to protect you telling you that you are the problem.

And something else that it took me a while to get clear in my own mind (so socialised are we to prioritise male wishes over female needs) is that one can only consent to for oneself, not for other women.

So even if many women really do have no problem with sharing female-only spaces and sports with a special category of males, that doesn’t mean that ALL women have consented.

The reality is that most haven’t been asked anyway. It’s a just been assumed that their opinion doesn’t really matter.

Indeed, and it appears that many of the new wave feminists, who would be of the "all women must unite in fighting the oppressive patriarchy" camp, are all in on the "men can be women, and shure why would anyone object to a woman waving her penis around in a women's changing room" mindset. (of course men in positions of responsibility are guilty of the moral cowardice and muddled thinking as well).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Very concerning that the EHRC has moved to say that "women" in Equality Act legislation refers to "legal women" - i.e. those who are more likely than not to be fully anatomically male, but hold a Gender Recognition Certificate.

The rights of women are further eroded - we can no longer request a female doctor or other staff for intimate medical care; the most intimate examinations from police searches and elderly care to the intrusive but necessary forensic examinations following a sexual assault - all can now be carried out by biological males and women can do nothing about it.

This man has been sentenced for a litany of horrific offences - and during the trial it transpired he briefly identified as "non-binary" (which has no basis in law) and was able to access a rape shelter for women.

https://news.stv.tv/scotland/former-snp-equalities-officer-jailed-for-string-of-sexual-and-physical-assaults

As I approach 60 I am deeply concerned about accessing healthcare.

Oh absolutely, and as I say I’m not immune to it myself, even though I’d consider myself to be fairly conscious of the whole subject. Certainly compared to a few years ago anyway.

• Advertisement

There are so many areas in life that are not black or white (I'm nearly afraid to use that expression), and we have to live in the grey, but where we can be clear we need to do so unambiguously. It's not easy when there is so much obfuscation, much of it deliberate, most of it indiscriminate. It's probably more a discussion for the politics or philosophy forum but I'm not smart enough or educated enough to enter either domain😀!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Shoog

A rockey road ahead if the Labour party decides to follow the politically motivated ban on puberty blockers

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c6p2l7ze7m0o

Before anyone starts in, are we to assume that the BMA is not an authoritive body in matters medical and that we should defer to the expertise of politicians ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Except Dr Hilary Cass is a paediatrician with years of experience, not a politician. Since when do medical associations get to disregard the lasest evidence because of an ideological stance? It's concerning that they think this is acceptable.

From what I've been reading, the majority of doctors are in favour of the ban, as they generally like to follow the scientific evidence. I'm sure there were doctors years ago who were outraged that they couldn't lobotomise people anymore but now it's widely accepted that they were wrong.

As usual the activist minority are throwing a tantrum but I don't think it will work anymore.

Are you for real trying to pass off one person calling the ban terrible as a game changer of some sort, The BMA is a trade union, the person calling the ban terrible is a junior doctor specialising in mental health and yes we are to assume they are not authorative in all medical matters, they may have expertise in specific matters but unlikely to be gender dyasporia experts that do not require outside expertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

From that BBC article

The stance has been criticised by one of the BMA’s council members, Dr Emma Runswick.

Earlier this week, she said on X that it was a “terrible political decision which will cause incredible harm to trans people”.

From wikipedia, it seems she's from a strongly political background herself and is LGBT. I'm sure there's a variety of different opinions on the BMA council. Hopefully, they come to a sensible consensus.

• Advertisement

I think you will be surprised at what the BMA will announce, but I won't.

You lambasted the Conservatives for politicising this issue; on that occasion it was pointed out to you that that kind of goes with the territory for a political party. The same applies here. The precautionary principle surely applies: given the known adverse effects of these drugs, and no scientific support for the claimed benefits, then they should not be administered.

Can you provide any meaningful scientific evidence to support the reversal of the ban, or are you advocating a course of action based on politics/ideology?

It will be given as much credibility as SIPTU giving an opinion on brain surgery, I hope you are right and they show they are willing to use children to experiment to further an ideology which has been destroyed in the last 12 months.

Thee BMA is not SIPTU and your attempt to discredit the opinions of the representative body of the British medical establishment is a bit pathetic really.

They are a trade union, SIPTU is a representative body for their members, do you get the similarities?

• Advertisement
Advertisement